Author Topic: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?  (Read 7932 times)

Re: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Meh... Melo did the same stuff and was treated more like Love than Howard. Dwight is a bigger player with a bigger personality on a contending team who couldn't make a sound decision. That's the only difference.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
TP RJ87.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
It's because he white.

I hate to say it, but this is really the only reason.  It's not that people are directly racist, but most people are inherently more sympathetic towards people they feel they relate with or are similar to.  Kevin Love is the nephew of a Beach Boy.  It does not get any more American apple pie than that.

Love signed a huge contract after his rookie deal expired and started complaining that year about his team.  Then got injured, and continued to complain about his team.  I remember thinking at that time, that he was already not the best guy to lead your team.   Now you throw in the fact that he bailed on Team USA (though I get reasons behind) and people are still willing to give him a pass that someone like Lebron, Dwight, or any other star that was not white would not get.

Grantland wrote a great article several years ago about this as it relates to why America has not embraced the Williams sisters in Tennis.
http://grantland.com/features/serena-williams-conqueror/

I don't mean to be overly critical, but to compare tennis with NBA basketball in asinine!!! 76.3% of NBA players are black.  81% are players of color.  The NBA actually grades out quite well overall on this gender and race report card!!!

http://www.tidesport.org/RGRC/2013/2013_NBA_RGRC.pdf

What percentage of top level female tennis players are black or women of color?  It is very low. 

Therefore, to compare these two sports is a very poor analogy.  Perhaps one of the worst imaginable.  We expect to see many African-American players and stars in the NBA, as that is the NORM.  Most do not expect African-American women to be successful at tennis, until the Williams' sisters tore down those walls!!!  Kudos to them for that.

If you want to read one of the best articles on Richard Williams and how he grew up and why is was never understood by the tennis world (and perhaps why Venus and Serena were not as accepted as they deserved), please read this piece:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/friend_20010530.html

Smitty77

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Oh, come on, people Love is acting nothing like Howard did. Do you people forget about much drama there was with Dwight?

The only thing that has been going on are trade rumors. Which, you know, is exactly what you expect to happen. We haven't had any of the embarrassing and contradictory statements from Love that Dwight was so found of making. Love isn't stringing Minnesota along, or stringing other teams along. He has been essentially quiet publicly besides rumors of vague "interest" in teams, which is radically different from Howard's almost flamboyant public behavior during the whole spectacle.

Do you guys not remember Howard signed an amendment to his contract, waving his right to opt-out and committing to stay in Orlando another season (which he didn't)? Do you not remember he specifically asked management to fire Van Gundy? Do you not remember when he demanded a trade to the Nets, then changed his mind and said he would stay in Orlando, before finally changing his mind again and going to the Lakers?

What has Kevin Love done that is even remotely as stupid and embarrassing as how Howard conducted himself? It's downright pathetic that people would play the race card in this situation. Love and Howard conducted themselves completely differently, and it is ridiculous to think Love "should" get the same amount of criticism.

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Oh, come on, people Love is acting nothing like Howard did. Do you people forget about much drama there was with Dwight?

The only thing that has been going on are trade rumors. Which, you know, is exactly what you expect to happen. We haven't had any of the embarrassing and contradictory statements from Love that Dwight was so found of making. Love isn't stringing Minnesota along, or stringing other teams along. He has been essentially quiet publicly besides rumors of vague "interest" in teams, which is radically different from Howard's almost flamboyant public behavior during the whole spectacle.

Do you guys not remember Howard signed an amendment to his contract, waving his right to opt-out and committing to stay in Orlando another season (which he didn't)? Do you not remember he specifically asked management to fire Van Gundy? Do you not remember when he demanded a trade to the Nets, then changed his mind and said he would stay in Orlando, before finally changing his mind again and going to the Lakers?

What has Kevin Love done that is even remotely as stupid and embarrassing as how Howard conducted himself? It's downright pathetic that people would play the race card in this situation. Love and Howard conducted themselves completely differently, and it is ridiculous to think Love "should" get the same amount of criticism.

No but see Kevin Love is white though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
It's because he white.

I hate to say it, but this is really the only reason.  It's not that people are directly racist, but most people are inherently more sympathetic towards people they feel they relate with or are similar to.  Kevin Love is the nephew of a Beach Boy.  It does not get any more American apple pie than that.

Love signed a huge contract after his rookie deal expired and started complaining that year about his team.  Then got injured, and continued to complain about his team.  I remember thinking at that time, that he was already not the best guy to lead your team.   Now you throw in the fact that he bailed on Team USA (though I get reasons behind) and people are still willing to give him a pass that someone like Lebron, Dwight, or any other star that was not white would not get.

Grantland wrote a great article several years ago about this as it relates to why America has not embraced the Williams sisters in Tennis.
http://grantland.com/features/serena-williams-conqueror/

I don't mean to be overly critical, but to compare tennis with NBA basketball in asinine!!! 76.3% of NBA players are black.  81% are players of color.  The NBA actually grades out quite well overall on this gender and race report card!!!

http://www.tidesport.org/RGRC/2013/2013_NBA_RGRC.pdf

What percentage of top level female tennis players are black or women of color?  It is very low. 

Therefore, to compare these two sports is a very poor analogy.  Perhaps one of the worst imaginable.  We expect to see many African-American players and stars in the NBA, as that is the NORM.  Most do not expect African-American women to be successful at tennis, until the Williams' sisters tore down those walls!!!  Kudos to them for that.

If you want to read one of the best articles on Richard Williams and how he grew up and why is was never understood by the tennis world (and perhaps why Venus and Serena were not as accepted as they deserved), please read this piece:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/friend_20010530.html

Smitty77

I actually want to back it up for a second.

Do people think Venus and Serena weren't accepted and embraced?  To me, they seemed like the Tiger Woods  of women's tennis.

Like when Tiger first hit the scene, this black dude playing golf, he was definitely embraced, people started watching golf on tv just to see Tiger, and everybody was cheering for him.

That's what I saw with the Williams sisters too, everybody embraced them.  People were tuning into tennis just to watch them and cheer for them.  Like in the article, it talks about how people booed Serena at Indian Wells, that was because everybody wanted to see Serena and Venus play each other!  To me, that shows the people liked them, not that they didn't like them. It's like booing when the band you paid to see comes out 3 hours late, plays for 10 minutes then leaves.  You like the band, but you feel robbed and cheated.

Maybe some of you had a different experiences than me, but I've never seen anything but love for the Williams sisters.  If you walked the streets of suburban America and polled people asking them to name 3 female tennis players, most of the answers would go "Venus and Serena and umm..."

But anyway, I fail to see any connection between that article and the Kevin Love situation.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The third would be Maria Sharapova.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I would still probably say Anna Kournikova.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would this even be a posted thread if Love was still strongly rumored to be heading to Boston?

Really not sure what Love has done wrong to even insinuate he is on Dwightmare's level.

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I never thought about it because he is white but I find that interesting.

I find it to be tripe.

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I would still probably say Anna Kournikova.
With ya there. I'm way too short for Maria

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One difference is DH12 ticked people off in TWO cities, not just one, and one of those cities has a very passionate fan base. So he dragged things out at least twice as long, so one has to assume there are just way more people that dislike him, and have disliked him a lot longer.

K Love is a guy who knows what he wants and isn't giving anyone any illusions and seems to have a pretty decent reason for wanting that. 

DH12 had people telling him they'd build him statues and they would do anything for him and he was still like "I dooonn'''ttt knooww".  People hate that.

I don't see anyone ready to shower K Love with anything.

It's just two different situations.

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
One difference is DH12 ticked people off in TWO cities, not just one, and one of those cities has a very passionate fan base. So he dragged things out at least twice as long, so one has to assume there are just way more people that dislike him, and have disliked him a lot longer.

K Love is a guy who knows what he wants and isn't giving anyone any illusions and seems to have a pretty decent reason for wanting that. 

DH12 had people telling him they'd build him statues and they would do anything for him and he was still like "I dooonn'''ttt knooww".  People hate that.

I don't see anyone ready to shower K Love with anything.

It's just two different situations.

Correct. It's much more akin to Carmelo in Denver than Dwight. And Carmelo, of the Big 3 of relocation (Anthony, James, Howard) certainly caught the least amount of flack for leaving.

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Other than Dwight's constant flip-flopping, I think it's also because of 2 other factors:

1. Dwight was more successful and also had a bigger personality. Thus, the media paid more attention to Dwight.
2. Dwight was perceived to be more of a game changer than Love is now. I mean, Dwight was on that Lebron level back then.

- LilRip

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Love never created a circus like the one Dwight created in Orlando

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa84vuJgkvw
Greg