Author Topic: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?  (Read 7930 times)

Re: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
It's because he white.

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's because he white.

The NBA is still an interesting look at racial problems in many ways, but I don't think it applies in this case.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
It's because he white.

The NBA is still an interesting look at racial problems in many ways, but I don't think it applies in this case.

Wasn't going to post that but it's really the only difference I saw. Anyway I'm really disliking Love more and more as this drama continues. 
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I once had a boss giving me a review and said "One thing I don't do is compare my employees. I don't say to myself 'weeelllll....if THAT person did THAAAATT and THIIISSS one did THISSS...theeeen in thaatt case I have to give this person that'.....I just look at what they do and grade them".

Looking at what DH12 did it seemed pretty messed up, or at least weird, whereas Love seems pretty straightforward and logical to me.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Let us all not forget Kevin Love going off on his teammates after a game in which he was 4 for 20.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10268301/kevin-love-torches-minnesota-timberwolves-teammates-loss

Kevin Love should be getting more flack than Howard.  At least Howard actually led his teams to numerous playoff victories.  Love can't even get his team to the playoffs and it isn't like Love doesn't have good teammates.  Maybe if Love actually tried to play defense his teams might have a bit more success.

Love shot horribly in this game, but he did shoot 100% at the line (6-6), had 12 rebounds, 1 assist, and ZERO turnovers.  It is not like he mailed it in or something.  Also, notice that the omnipotent KG had two worse shooting games on that list!!!

Give Love a break here.

Smitty77
Yeah but he wasn't complaining about people mailing it on the court he Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed out his teammates because they didn't get up during a timeout as that somehow affected Minnesota's ability to win the game.  A game in which Love shot 25% from the field.

It is incredibly poor form to call out your teammates after a loss when you, the supposed leader, have an awful game and are in fact the main reason your team in fact lost the game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The way Love is doing it is actually way better for the team he wants to leave than the way Howard and Lebron did it.  The Wolves actually will get a nice return package because of Love's honesty.  Lebron and Howard left their teams high and dry.  Nothing in return for their departures.
Well the Lakers traded for Dwight knowing he had one year left and might not re-sign with them (since he never wanted to go there to begin with).  As for the Heat, they were never going to trade James.  He could have told them flat out, I am leaving at the end of the season, and they would not have traded him because they wanted to win that third title.  And for the record, Lebron opting out also caused Wade and Bosh to opt out, which is the only reason they had enough room to sign Deng, who while clearly not James, is a pretty solid player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
It's because he white.

I hate to say it, but this is really the only reason.  It's not that people are directly racist, but most people are inherently more sympathetic towards people they feel they relate with or are similar to.  Kevin Love is the nephew of a Beach Boy.  It does not get any more American apple pie than that.

Love signed a huge contract after his rookie deal expired and started complaining that year about his team.  Then got injured, and continued to complain about his team.  I remember thinking at that time, that he was already not the best guy to lead your team.   Now you throw in the fact that he bailed on Team USA (though I get reasons behind) and people are still willing to give him a pass that someone like Lebron, Dwight, or any other star that was not white would not get.

Grantland wrote a great article several years ago about this as it relates to why America has not embraced the Williams sisters in Tennis.
http://grantland.com/features/serena-williams-conqueror/

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To put it simply, tennis and basketball have very different histories and fanbases. You can't just copy and paste the conclusions on one onto the other.

I don't like Kevin Love very much, either on the court or off of it, but I don't think he's getting a pass because he's white.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think a lot of people disliked Dwight Howard before he left Orlando. His personality. The way he behaves on the court. The lack of skill and post moves compared to the great centers of past years. Being coronated as the next great center who will dominate NBA for years to come.

I don't think many people care that much about Kevin Love. He plays for a franchise that receives some of the least amount of coverage in the NBA. Love has never been to the playoffs. Nor as he received anywhere near the amount of attention and adulation Dwight Howard received. Love has been out of sight most of his career. Love is also a very skilled player who succeeds despite mediocre athletic gifts.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline bhbf08

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Because Dwight does not shoot 3 pointers 5+ times a game.   

People love a good hacker of the 3. 

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »

Offline bhbf08

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I guess you can compare it to the Lebron decision 1 vs. Melo as well.  Lebron has been blasted for the way he did it, while Melo didn't catch much heat.  He was up front about it, asked for a trade and got one.  A lot of people don't like Melo because of his selfishness, but he wasn't ripped like Lebron or Dwight either. 

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It's because he white.

I agree. I think Howard handled the situation in Orlando really badly. Demanding the trade, trying to have Van Gundy fired (that Van Gundy interview where he admits Howard asked to have him fired and Howard coming up right after and pretending to BFFs still makes me cringe) then agreeing to opt in only to turn around and demand a trade again. He basically held that franchise hostage because he couldn't make up his mind. And it wasn't like Orlando was a terrible team, they had been to the finals and had some playoff success. When Howard got traded to LA (one of the teams on his preferred list), it wasn't as easy as he wanted it to be and moped through the season only to leave the team at the end of it. I don't fault him for wanting out of LA, they mishandled the coaching situation and should be held accountable for that but his body language that whole season was terrible. That was a chance for him to show that he was a true leader and no longer the guy that pulled all that crap in Orlando and he failed.

As for Kevin Love, he's pretty much let his agent handle things. His stance has been unwavering throughout the process: "I'm opting out next offseason and going somewhere else. Trade me now and get something back for me, or let me walk for nothing." There hasn't been any coaching sabotage or even a public comment on the franchise's mismanagement (they're coach is also their President of BBall Ops and a part owner. And let's not forget, Love wanted the 5 year extension but they wanted to save it for Rubio, Love asked for an opt out after 3 years as a result of their unwillingness to give him 5 years with no opt out. So really, the franchise pretty much put themselves in this situation.) I think he's handled it as well as he could.

You can really ask the same thing about CP3 when he demanded a trade for New Orleans but because it was handled so well on his end - even after the "Basketball reasons" debacle happened - no one really remembers it and his image remained intact. I think race is not even a factor in this and I sincerely hope fans don't start pulling that card. If D12 handled himself more professionally, he would've been okay.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
It's because he white.

I agree.

And as for the topic,  among the basketball fans I know, no one really likes Love. I think Love is generally disliked for his alleged attitude, it's just that Howard is worse. So in comparison, it may seem like he's getting a pass.

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the unhappiness with Dwight has lasted longer too because he has failed to win since he left Orlando. Lost in first round with the Lakers and then again lost with Houston in the first round.

LeBron got past a lot of the anger and unpleasantness because he led Miami to a Championship in 2nd year and was runner-up his 1st year.

I think when (if?) Dwight wins, he'll get some forgiveness. As LeBron did. But since Dwight has failed to win, and lost in first round both years since leaving Orlando, that unhappineness and anger has held steadily against him. Perhaps even building and growing instead of easing away.

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I never thought about it because he is white but I find that interesting.