Author Topic: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?  (Read 7920 times)

Re: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Differences Include:

- Dwight wanting / asking out, then publicly denying it and telling fans he loved it in Orlando and wouldn't leave - clearly a lie and highly awkward

- Dwight flip flopped many times, dragged the situation out, opted in to an extra year putting the whole organization in continued limbo for another 12 months

- Dwight tried to sabotage Stan Van Gundy behind his back to the owner, even when he was going to leave anyways -- denied the whole thing but eventually did get Van Gundy fired.

- Process pretty much repeated in Los Angeles -- - I actually love that he left L.A.
~~~~~~~
- Love firmly and quietly announced to management that he would opt out and go elsewhere, giving Minny the option to trade him and get assets if they wanted to.

- Minny has been a joke, screwing up time and time again in their drafts and signings

- Not signing an extension leaves Love with the same contract as LeBron, lengthwise. This is intended to add flexibility for the new CBA.

Love has seemingly been above board the whole time, hasn't tried to flip flop, sabotage anyone and is giving Minnesota a valid opportunity to move on without a prolonged drag out. If anything, it is now Minny who is dragging the process out.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The "Orlando was a playoff team" reason is an excuse. Without Howard, they wouldn't even have a chance to sniff the playoffs, let alone get any attention. The flip-flopping I understand, but the quitting on a playoff team excuse, nope. Playoffs or not, Love is doing the same thing: quitting on his team.

Technically, he's making it clear that he's going to pursue his right to free agency, but I know what you mean. He's definitely on the way out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Kevin Love is white...I don't think he's a "pre-madona"...more like a Pre-Prince, or Pre-Michael Jackson.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Let us all not forget Kevin Love going off on his teammates after a game in which he was 4 for 20.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10268301/kevin-love-torches-minnesota-timberwolves-teammates-loss

Kevin Love should be getting more flack than Howard.  At least Howard actually led his teams to numerous playoff victories.  Love can't even get his team to the playoffs and it isn't like Love doesn't have good teammates.  Maybe if Love actually tried to play defense his teams might have a bit more success.

Love shot horribly in this game, but he did shoot 100% at the line (6-6), had 12 rebounds, 1 assist, and ZERO turnovers.  It is not like he mailed it in or something.  Also, notice that the omnipotent KG had two worse shooting games on that list!!!

Give Love a break here.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It was clear Orlando was at least trying to build around DH bringing in guys like Vince Carter and actually win.

I have no idea what Minne is trying to do. Probably the same thing they did with KG...a lot of nothing.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Kevin Love is white...I don't think he's a "pre-madona"...more like a Pre-Prince, or Pre-Michael Jackson.

Perhaps Love can purify himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka before leaving the Timberwolves.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The way Love is doing it is actually way better for the team he wants to leave than the way Howard and Lebron did it.  The Wolves actually will get a nice return package because of Love's honesty.  Lebron and Howard left their teams high and dry.  Nothing in return for their departures.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The way Love is doing it is actually way better for the team he wants to leave than the way Howard and Lebron did it.  The Wolves actually will get a nice return package because of Love's honesty.  Lebron and Howard left their teams high and dry.  Nothing in return for their departures.

LeBron was a sign and trade, actually -- but you're right emotionally. I think a lot of that was self-inflicted though: my suspicion is that Gilbert always thought LeBron was coming back.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

LeBron was a sign and trade, actually -- but you're right emotionally. I think a lot of that was self-inflicted though: my suspicion is that Gilbert always thought LeBron was coming back.
Not when he bolted Miami, though.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Not when he bolted Miami, though.

TP -- my mistake, I usually assume when people talk about "LeBron leaving" they're referencing The Decision.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If Love had played in the east, he would have carried any team but the Bobcats to the playoffs one or two times these past seasons.

Minnesota brought it on themselves by giving him four seasons with an early termination option in stead of the five year max contract. Only one word for that: Kaaaaaaaahn!

The reason players like LeBron and Love want their contracts to end in 2016 is because of the new TV deal, that will start in 2016-2017 and probably will add several millions of dollars to the salary cap each season. And being the first players to get the new max deals will be a huge benefit.

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love has never went to another place and bailed on them when it did not work like Dwight.  I do not think people blamed him for leaving ORL (except for the 2 Magic Fans in the world) but he went to LA and failed utterly to deliver.  Now being a C fans this was great for me as a  person but it really tarnished his image league wide.  I mean Divac made it in LA filling bigger shoes than Dwight did as Shaq was gone when he got there.  In LA he had Gasol and Kobe to some degree.   Love has played with stuff that you scrape off your shoes in a yard.  I think that is the reason people treat him differently.

I am glad we did not get him in a way.   I would rather have a guy who wills change and than a guy who wants to join up with others in hope of change.   These modern players are mentally weak and too much into instant gratification.  When they face adversity they wilt.

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Howard shouldn't even get flack. Howard was traded after he gave Orlando another chance by optioning in. Guy could have walked away and left them nothing. So to compare that with Love is not right unless Love doesn't option out a end of this season and gives Wolves an additional shot. Howard was also not down with Kobe on the Lakers because Kobe still wanted it to be "Kobe's team". Lakers chose Kobe and Howard left. So IMO Howard can not be blamed. As for Stan mess, that guy gets dissed by all his players everywhere he goes.

Love reportedly has asked for a trade but management could have easily been aggressive to add guys to change his mind. In contrast Wolves instead get into trade talks with 10 or so teams to get rid of him. Love is not deserving of flack because the Wolves clearly want to ship him out. They are causing most the media and fan scrutiny by milking the deal for all it's worth and choosing not move on smoothly. Time will tell if the Wolves did well or failed but sure C's assets will be watched and compared to what Wolves do end up with going forward.

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

By this logic, Free Agency should never exist right? Players should always try to make sure their teams get something in return. Is that what you're saying?
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Dwight Howard was his one worst enemy. Too indecisive. Too much back and forth. Unwilling to make decision. Orlando were in limbo unsure of what to do. Dwight wouldn't make a decision and choose his path. Then he opts into his contract and prolongs everything. Messy. Made everything much worse and invited extra criticism over, and over and over again.

K-Love has been upfront and told Minny he wants out. No back and forth. Clear and concise. Kept criticism to minimum.
Exactly. Love is not the first guy to let his team know he would walk. Look at Melo in Denver and CP3 in New Orleans.

Howard not only couldn't make up his mind (why the heck did he pick up that player option?), but he also have issues with SVG. Remember the supposed talks Howard had with management that SVG had to go?

Personally, I don't think I ever gave Howard flack, but I can see why some would criticize him more than CP3, Love, or Melo.

But, to be fair, a lot of people are criticizing Love.