Author Topic: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?  (Read 7918 times)

why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
I was just reading that Love may not sign a new contract if traded to Clev., still wants to keep it with his player option.  I am seeing the D.Howard thing all over again with this guy.  Is he a pre-madona,  and why is he not getting ripped in the media like D12 did?

Re: why isn't Love getting same flack as Howard ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Because his team doesn't win enough to warrant the same level of critique, and he's a fairly sympathetic character who hasn't driven away all the best elements of his Finals-worthy team, unlike Dwight.

Kevin Love's never been on a "good team" in real life, just on paper, and he's not outwardly childish or otherwise annoying.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Because his team doesn't win enough to warrant the same level of critique, and he's a fairly sympathetic character who hasn't driven away all the best elements of his Finals-worthy team, unlike Dwight.

Kevin Love's never been on a "good team" in real life, just on paper, and he's not outwardly childish or otherwise annoying.
I'll go with this. Also people feel more sorry for people that live in Minnesotta than people that live in Orlando or LA

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I'll go with this. Also people feel more sorry for people that live in Minnesotta than people that live in Orlando or LA

lol.  That's funny. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Howard also went back-and-forth over his option multiple times -- he helped create the drama.  Love's side has been pretty clear that he wants to preserve his right to opt out -- the media/teams wanting to trade for him have made it the issue.

I've given up on Love coming here, but I do think Danny was smart from a player-relationship sense of getting out in front of this early in saying he'd have no problem in trading for a player who could become a free agent in a year.  It likely won't work, but if by some miraculous reason Love arrives in Boston because everyone else got scared he'd opt out...  **Hits self in head remembering to give up on Love**

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
 - Love isn't a tool
 - Howard left a playoff team
 - Love would be stupid to sign an extension now
 - Howard's not a guy who deserves the attention he was asking for

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Let's also not forget the Howard/Van Gundy issues and associated weirdness. Love hasn't beefed with his coach like Howard did.

By the way, if you really want the answer to your question just look at how Howard handled LA and the relationships he had with the players who were his teammates there. That dude is toxic to everyone. It's the reason why Bosh refused to sign there in FA, and that says a lot.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Dwight Howard was his one worst enemy. Too indecisive. Too much back and forth. Unwilling to make decision. Orlando were in limbo unsure of what to do. Dwight wouldn't make a decision and choose his path. Then he opts into his contract and prolongs everything. Messy. Made everything much worse and invited extra criticism over, and over and over again.

K-Love has been upfront and told Minny he wants out. No back and forth. Clear and concise. Kept criticism to minimum.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Let us all not forget Kevin Love going off on his teammates after a game in which he was 4 for 20.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10268301/kevin-love-torches-minnesota-timberwolves-teammates-loss

Kevin Love should be getting more flack than Howard.  At least Howard actually led his teams to numerous playoff victories.  Love can't even get his team to the playoffs and it isn't like Love doesn't have good teammates.  Maybe if Love actually tried to play defense his teams might have a bit more success.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Minnesota has consistently mismanaged their team.  For that reason, I think people understand Love's desire to leave.  I don't think that was true of Orlando, at least certainly not to the same extent.  Plus as others have said, Orlando was a playoff team and Howard kept flip flopping on what he wanted.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Minnesota has consistently mismanaged their team.  For that reason, I think people understand Love's desire to leave.  I don't think that was true of Orlando, at least certainly not to the same extent.  Plus as others have said, Orlando was a playoff team and Howard kept flip flopping on what he wanted.
From around 2008-2010, Dwight had a really good supporting cast and much better than what Love has to work with in Minnesota. But bad trades (Arenas, J-Rich, Glen Davis) and key players aging (Rashard Lewis, Turkoglu), by the end of Dwight's time there the team had declined considerably from their heyday. Due to bad cap management and lack of prospects & trade assets on team, their future was bleak. 

So at that point, when Dwight left in 2012 vs K-Love now in Minnesota, I think the Orlando's talent base is similar to what K-Love has to work with in Minnesota. I'd even give Love's teammates a slight edge due to Rubio's potential to improve.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Let us all not forget Kevin Love going off on his teammates after a game in which he was 4 for 20.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10268301/kevin-love-torches-minnesota-timberwolves-teammates-loss

Kevin Love should be getting more flack than Howard.  At least Howard actually led his teams to numerous playoff victories.  Love can't even get his team to the playoffs and it isn't like Love doesn't have good teammates.  Maybe if Love actually tried to play defense his teams might have a bit more success.

don't have a problem with any of that. seriously, what did he do? he's being a leader telling his teammates to pick it up and at least act like you want to win. that team has shown for yr's. they need someone to do that.

we don't know the whole story. he went public with it but who is to say he hadn't said something before that privately. to which maybe he said "they didn't get the hint privately so maybe if the media hears it they'll get the point". don't see it as a problem when a player points out that teammates are being idiots and lacking effort.

it's a little different from what Gerald Wallace did too, before we go down that road.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Dwight kept a franchise hostage while he went back and forth on his decision. He left and then trashed the next team he went to and didn't put in any effort. Then he got a max contract the following year. Plenty of flack for all that is justified.

Love made it abundantly clear that he wants out of Minnesota, giving them ample time to trade him and maximize their return. By all accounts he doesn't take nights off, just because he doesn't want to be there.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He also hasn't publicly locked into a single "team" to be traded to. I think people have a more negative reaction when stars dictate what destination they want to be traded to as well.

By having your camp be open to Chicago/Golden State/Post-LBJ Cleveland/Boston he's avoided some ire.

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
The "Orlando was a playoff team" reason is an excuse. Without Howard, they wouldn't even have a chance to sniff the playoffs, let alone get any attention. The flip-flopping I understand, but the quitting on a playoff team excuse, nope. Playoffs or not, Love is doing the same thing: quitting on his team.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk