Author Topic: What are the Wizards' chances of running .... "Treadmill of Mediocrity"  (Read 6321 times)

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Well, no.  You don't HAVE to be good before you can be great; how can a Celtics fan possibly forget the transition from '06-'07 to '07-'08? 

But, I'm sick of this "make the team look like one of the four best in the league, or give up and tank!" mentality.  And with Washington - whose franchise history in the past two decades is about as p----poor as anybody's - if you've got a legit shot to get the 2nd round, and maybe to the ECF, you take that shot.  What if LeBron blows out his knee in the preseason?  Then the East is completely wide-open. 

I mean, really, what is the alternative?

That's pretty rare though. Man, we were fortunate.

But I'm in complete agreement with you. Personally, I like the moves they made. Maybe Gortat's deal is a year too long, but I think he'll age relatively well for a big man. He's not overly reliant on his athleticism and he's had no major injuries to this point. He fit in well with the team on and off the court.

Paul, yes he's older but his deal is 2 years at MLE money. And he can opt out of the second year. I see that as a low risk, high reward signing because if he has something in the tank then he's pretty much a perfect offensive fit for them. He'll also be a good vet for Otto Porter to learn from while not taking time away from Porter since he can't go 36+ mins a game for 82 + the playoffs anymore.

I think they have a nice mix of young guys and solid vets that'll make them competitive in the East even without marked improvement from Beal or Wall. But if one of those two (or both) take the next step, then Washington could be one of the better teams in the conference.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Now, if they bow out in the conference semis again this year, then maybe  you can start taking treadmill of mediocrity but that might even still be too early.   

Is that mediocrity or is that building consistency? I'm with you on it being way too early to tell.

If they resign Nene for big money following '15-16, then I can see the treadmill working at hand.
I don't see them doing that. They're already laying the groundwork to chase after Durant that offseason. And even if they don't land him, there's some intriguing FA's on the market they can turn their attention to. Say Nic Batum or Parson's if he opts out of the final year of his deal. I think they're a little more forward thinking they the OP if giving them credit for.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Now, if they bow out in the conference semis again this year, then maybe  you can start taking treadmill of mediocrity but that might even still be too early.   

Is that mediocrity or is that building consistency? I'm with you on it being way too early to tell.

If they resign Nene for big money following '15-16, then I can see the treadmill working at hand.
I don't see them doing that. They're already laying the groundwork to chase after Durant that offseason. And even if they don't land him, there's some intriguing FA's on the market they can turn their attention to. Say Nic Batum or Parson's if he opts out of the final year of his deal. I think they're a little more forward thinking they the OP if giving them credit for.

It depends.  It could mark a plateau or, simply, they're not going to advance one additional round every subsequent season due to a variety of factors but still might go farther down the road. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Prediction

My prediction is that Washington remain a tier below title challenger, fail to make that next jump due to limited assets / flexibility, are forced to breakup team in middle of John Wall's prime due to number of aging core players (Gortat, Nene, Pierce).

And then, while facing rebuilding period, and smack bam in the middle of the best years of Wall's career, John Wall looks around and no longer believes he will have the chance to play for a Championship if he stays in Washington so he decides to leave the team as his contract winds down. His current deal (that he signed this time last year) has 5 years on it with an early opt out. So sometime around 2019 looks about right for Wall to either force a trade or leave via free agency.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:47:08 PM by Who »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Prediction

My prediction is that Washington remain a tier below title challenger, fail to make that next jump due to limited assets / flexibility, are forced to breakup team in middle of John Wall's prime due to number of aging core players (Gortat, Nene, Pierce).

And then, while facing rebuilding period, and smack bam in the middle of the best years of Wall's career, John Wall looks around and no longer believes he will have the chance to play for a Championship if he stays in Washington so he decides to leave the team as his contract winds down. His current deal (that he signed this time last year) has 5 years on it with an early opt out. So sometime around 2018 looks about right for Wall to either force a trade or leave via free agency.

I don't see the player option in John Wall's contract, are you certain about that? Or have a link to corroborate?

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Prediction

And then, while facing rebuilding period, and smack bam in the middle of the best years of Wall's career, John Wall looks around and no longer believes he will have the chance to play for a Championship if he stays in Washington so he decides to leave the team as his contract winds down. His current deal (that he signed this time last year) has 5 years on it with an early opt out. So sometime around 2018 looks about right for Wall to either force a trade or leave via free agency.

I don't see the player option in John Wall's contract, are you certain about that? Or have a link to corroborate?

Oh sorry. My mistake. Got mixed up between articles I was reading earlier today about Wall and RealGM note on Kyrie Irving's contract. No opt out.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think they should shop Bradley Beal when next big star is on trade block.

I have a hard time seeing them put together a Championship caliber team with Beal on the team given contracts already handed out to Wall and Gortat. Maybe they could do a deal like LAC did with Eric Gordon for CP3 based around Bradley Beal. It could be worth making a run at K-Love if Wolves still having trouble with Cavs over trade.

The Wizards can still trade Beal later. Beal and Gortat could probably land Love if they really wanted. But i think that would make Washington a worse team. Or they could still use Beal in a package for a star later on.

In the meantime, they might might as well make a run at the eastern conference championship. With the current team they have about as good a shot as anyone in the East.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Prediction

Oh sorry. My mistake. Got mixed up between articles I was reading earlier today about Wall and RealGM note on Kyrie Irving's contract. No opt out.

Contracts are short enough these days that if a player bottoms out, u only need an extra year or two, or a draft pick to get out of it.

I certainly respect your opinion and your desire to build with an eye towards a star player's prime. I just think it is too risky to let a Gortat walk when you are finally heading in the right direction and giving your starving fans something to cheer for.

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I have a hard time seeing them put together a Championship caliber team with Beal on the team given contracts already handed out to Wall and Gortat. Maybe they could do a deal like LAC did with Eric Gordon for CP3 based around Bradley Beal. It could be worth making a run at K-Love if Wolves still having trouble with Cavs over trade.

The Wizards can still trade Beal later. Beal and Gortat could probably land Love if they really wanted. But i think that would make Washington a worse team. Or they could still use Beal in a package for a star later on.

In the meantime, they might might as well make a run at the eastern conference championship. With the current team they have about as good a shot as anyone in the East.

I think that would make Washington a much better basketball team.

Wall + K-Love + Nene

John Wall finally gets to play with the type of big men who will allow him to best utilize his skill-set. Nene is fantastic as a skilled center. K-Love is 2nd most skilled PF in NBA behind Dirk. Both players will bring the best out of Wall. A spaced out offense with skilled bigs that open up Wall's dribble drive game instead of a slow power based offense with Gortat and Nene that close down the paint and lessen his best strengths (as well as exposing his weaknesses).

I think that is a much better basketball team.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Wall + K-Love + Nene

John Wall finally gets to play with the type of big men who will allow him to best utilize his skill-set. Nene is fantastic as a skilled center. K-Love is 2nd most skilled PF in NBA behind Dirk. Both players will bring the best out of Wall. A spaced out offense with skilled bigs that open up Wall's dribble drive game instead of a slow power based offense with Gortat and Nene that close down the paint and lessen his best strengths (as well as exposing his weaknesses).

I dont like the defense a Love Nene front line would provide. I also am wary of Nene's very on/off performance meter, or his willingness to do the full time lifting of a center. I prefer Gortat as a center (and as someone who can let Nene drift to a more comfortable role at PF) and believe that Beal has a shot at being a top shooting guard in the NBA. I certainly like him more than Klay Thompson.

I like Love's skill. I just dont like his defense, and unlike Dirk i don't think he can take a team on his back and go supernova in the playoffs and win a championship. Love has yet to prove that he is clutch, or that he can deliver in the playoffs when the defense tightens, and takes away first and second options.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
People belly ache about the Gortat deal, but it was really only 1 year too long and maybe $1M too rich. Gortat is a really good center, and at $12M, is a good deal. He'll provide frontline stability for the next few years and if he breaks down in year 4 or 5, it's only $12M on an increasing salary cap. We're not talking about a $18-22M a year deal here.

Washington is in good shape. Next season may be the most exciting they've had since the '70s. Plus, they can dream of a Durant homecoming in a couple years to throttle up an already exciting core.

It's quite rosy in DC for Bullets fans.

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Since we're speculating, after the most success this team has seen in decades, if Washington just lets the two best players of Wall and Beals supporting cast leave town with no adequate replacements brought in simply b/c we're gonna wait a few more years, whos to say one of them doesnt demand to be traded??

What was Washington supposed to do this offseason??  Just let Gortat leave along with Ariza and rely on an injury prone Nene??  Shove Porter into the spotlight and cross your fingers??  Gortats contract isnt great, but its not a dealbreaker

This team has gone nowhere in decades and the first year they show theyre headed towards contention theyre supposed to fold their cards and say, Nah I dont think we'd ever make it past the ECF, we could, but I doubt it.  What does that tell your fanbase?  I know its about winning titles and not about your fanbase, but the fans in Washington have had nothing to cheer for, for so long, and as soon as the franchise gets headed in the right direction they have to punt because they have a hunch this team wont be headed anywhere 5 years from now.
Greg

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Washington's probably in the best shape of any Eastern team right now as far as future projections.  They're currently competitive, they've got relatively clear books, they've got their picks as LooseCannon noted, they've got a young core of players who've shown an ability to improve, and the team itself has been trending upwards.

There's a very good chance Washington ends up with a top 3 seed.

And Nene cannot be relied upon to play full-time center. Not only has he publicly stated his preference is not to play that position, but he's way too injury-prone to be banging down low like that.

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
Washington's probably in the best shape of any Eastern team right now as far as future projections.  They're currently competitive, they've got relatively clear books, they've got their picks as LooseCannon noted, they've got a young core of players who've shown an ability to improve, and the team itself has been trending upwards.

There's a very good chance Washington ends up with a top 3 seed.

And Nene cannot be relied upon to play full-time center. Not only has he publicly stated his preference is not to play that position, but he's way too injury-prone to be banging down low like that.

humprhries can also move to C, and then there is blair and seraphin, pierce can also move up to PF

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Wall + K-Love + Nene

Why would Minny want Gortat though when they have Pekovic?

Also what are people's feelings on Otto Porter's potential?  He was a top 3 pick, and just had a nice summer league.

After Cleveland the East is wide open.  They can be among the top 4 for at least the next few seasons depending on how Gortat and Nene ages. One key Lebron injury and you never know.