Author Topic: Evan Turner’s Agent: Larry Bird Told Me Turner Could Average 17, 6 And 5  (Read 7840 times)

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Different team, different scheme, different teammates, different coach, & most of all, a one of a kind facilitator who makes guys like Turner look darn good.

Forget the past, it's about the future. Turner's a talent who could produce even better numbers than 17, 6, & 5. This fit, on this team is probably the best match possible. His agent made a great move for his career.

It amazes me how people continue to give up & throw in the towel on young talent.

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
if you bench gerald wallace i'd say yes
but 3 SF's?
johnson wallace evans green

you can't put green at PF, you got a lot of PF
sully kelly bass faverani

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It amazes me how people continue to give up & throw in the towel on young talent.

I'm all for giving a chance to young talent, I just don't like young talent whose problems involve a combination of poor shot selection and bad defense.  Turner is a woefully inefficient chucker whose mental lapses make him a poor defender even when he tries hard.

All Turner really has going for him are size and athleticism.  If those are your main strong points when you're 25 and have been in the league for four seasons, I tend to be pessimistic about your chances.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Maybe in the D-League.

I mean he could be good, but those are All-Star 2nd team type numbers.

To put that in perspective:
Klay Thompson: 18, 3, 2
Lance: 14, 7, 5
Loul Deng: 16, 6, 3
Kawhi: 16, 8, 3

That would be like a whole other level that we just picked up for the mid level.

In the D League? I think Chris Johnson was putting up better numbers than that there lol

Turner is very much capable of those numbers,  especially on a team like Boston,  which lacks a clear #1 option (meaning he could get plenty of touches).   He already did average close to that in Philly.  The question comes down Moreso to his ability to score efficiently,  and his ability to defend.   

Also 17/6/5 isn't really that impressive.  Is good,  but I don't think it's clear All-Star numbers,  nor All NBA numbers.   They are just good starter numbers.  Basically just Jeff Green witj a couple of extra assists.  There are a few guys (Hayward, Parsons, Josh Smith, Iggy, etc) who have put up numbers equivalent to that and struggled to make all star games.

Certainly think Turner can put up those numbers of he gets the minutes,  but he probably won't in Boston unless they trade Green.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Of course he could (and pretty much has) Turner is the jack of all trades/master of none type of player. He can score, rebound, and pass, but his problem is playing off the ball not putting up stats.

2012-13

PPG  13.3
RPG  6.3
APG  4.3
MPG  35.3

2013-14 (54 games with Philly)

PPG  17.4
RPG  6.0
APG  3.7
MPG  34.9

So I'm not sure why some think the statement is so farfetched.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Sometimes as a player I guess you land on team that doesn't want to accept you ..or looks at you ...as we don't need you...you 'll break our gang up.....for what ever reason.  Turner may have been rocking the boat by just being there .  The team was used to certain players playing , their buds , and his arrival probably was not welcomed .  He sensed this and the whole thing got off on the wrong foot.

If the above is the case ....on a not so rigid set in stone group as the Celtics , he might work his way into the teams confidence .     

He used to kill Boston .  He should be able to produce what Courtney Lee did , I would think.

Also.....if he wants to up his value , he needs to emerge with a new attitude and mindset to sell himself .

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Sometimes as a player I guess you land on team that doesn't want to accept you ..or looks at you ...as we don't need you...you 'll break our gang up.....for what ever reason.  Turner may have been rocking the boat by just being there .  The team was used to certain players playing , their buds , and his arrival probably was not welcomed .  He sensed this and the whole thing got off on the wrong foot.

If the above is the case ....on a not so rigid set in stone group as the Celtics , he might work his way into the teams confidence .     

He used to kill Boston .  He should be able to produce what Courtney Lee did , I would think.

Also.....if he wants to up his value , he needs to emerge with a new attitude and mindset to sell himself .
I don't know about the Courtney Lee comparison.  Lee is a nice 3 and d guy.  Turner can't hit the 3 or play d.

I'm sure he can put up way higher totals than Lee, but not in the flow of the team and not with Lee's efficiency.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like the signing for the cost. Regardless of the issue of efficiency (however you want to view that), he is a solid offensive player. I think he showed that in the playoffs this year when Stevenson got into foul trouble. Main issue, for me, is that he only plays on one end of the floor.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
If Larry said it, then I agree.

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

I'm all for giving a chance to young talent, I just don't like young talent whose problems involve a combination of poor shot selection and bad defense.  Turner is a woefully inefficient chucker whose mental lapses make him a poor defender even when he tries hard.

All Turner really has going for him are size and athleticism.  If those are your main strong points when you're 25 and have been in the league for four seasons, I tend to be pessimistic about your chances.

Bottom line is, why did Larry Legend decide not to re-sign Evan Turner?
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Turner's agent: "come on Larry, Turner could get you at 17/6/5! Please sign him?"

Larry: "Yeah, he could give me a 17/6/5 if he played 40 minutes and shot 40% overall. No way."

Turner's agent: "...Hey league! Larry Bird said Turner could average a 17/6/5! Please sign him?"

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Especially with Lance going to Charlotte.

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
What happened to the league?

Since when is 17/6/5 a max type player? Ohhhh, the sports agent said that?

The league's historical, all-time HoF greats are kicking themselves, wishing they were born later, so they could be collecting this modern "pay day".

Yeah, Charles Barkley is rolling in his grave hearing these salaries !

Who put Barkley in a grave?

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I really wonder what his role will be. Will it be as a bench player? He was horrible as a bench player in Indy.

I don't like him starting next to rondo honestly. Both are too ball dominant.

Rondo tends to average about as many assists as FGA - wouldn't really call that ball dominant. I tend to think a Rondo / Turner combo would be productive - at least Turner should be willing to get out and run with Rondo on the break.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hasn't Evan Turner already done 17-6-5 while with Philly?

Exactly.

Personally, I like this signing.  Here's hoping he reverts back to Philly days.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."