Author Topic: are you expecting anything from Anthony, Faverani  (Read 1831 times)

are you expecting anything from Anthony, Faverani
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anthony imo went the Mark Blount route. Got paid and then became lazy.  He is not that old and could be in better shape. If Anthony comes into camp at the shape he was in 2010-2012 (in hopes somebody picks him up after this season), what kind of impact can he provide to the team??

Faverani outside of a few great games was lost on the court. Worse he got bullied around , didn't get any mins on the court and got sent down to the D league.  Chances of him recovering from injury plus adding strength are slim.  He is still only at 90 percent today. I'm not expecting much from Fav, but sometimes i think man he has many tools and size (7'4 wingspan), if he could just put it together, get tougher and add strength, he could be a decent center in this league. 

Not expecting anything, but maybe one will perform better than we think

Re: are you expecting anything from Anthony, Faverani
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What am I expecting from both of them?  Nothing.  Well, maybe some towel waving and water duty, haha ;D  Anthony is a garbageman type of player without much skill, aside from offensive rebounding, who's also undersized.  Faverani, on the other hand, showed excellent defensive and rebounding awareness at the beginning of the season, and then I don't know what happened after that, except that he injured his knee, although I can't remember which one at the moment.  Oh well, at least Anthony is an expiring contract, so there's that.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Both are waste of space
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Nothing.  I made the mistake last yr on Faverani...not again.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Both of them have their uses. Both are currently third string to below average but passable backup centers. Joel Anthony is a good defender with good mobility and quickness but limited otherwise. Faverani is a big bulky center who offers physical presence in the paint as defender/rebounder with some offensive skills.

I expect both to be useful at various times across the season but not regular contributors.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Both of them have their uses. Both are currently third string to below average but passable backup centers. Joel Anthony is a good defender with good mobility and quickness but limited otherwise. Faverani is a big bulky center who offers physical presence in the paint as defender/rebounder with some offensive skills.

I expect both to be useful at various times across the season but not regular contributors.

Beyond that,

No hope of Joel Anthony being more than what he is. He has been around for a number of years and shown clearly both what is he capable of doing and what he is not capable of doing. A known quantity.

My expectations are low but I am hoping Faverani has worked on his PnR defense and won't be such a liability in this area defensively. That is what killed him last year. He was pretty good in other areas but he was so bad in PnRs that Coach Stevens had to take him out of starting lineup. Too many teams running high numbers of PnRs for Faverani's weakness to be hidden. Teams were targeting Faverani and exploiting him mercilessly. Faverani had to be taken out of starting lineup. No way around it. Just too vulnerable defensively in key area. Entire team defense was falling apart because he couldn't do his job.

Anyway, I'd like to see Faverani show some progress in this area. If he does, I think Faverani can play regular role at center. Either as starter or backup depending on how much progress he makes ... because the rest of his game is pretty solid.

For a foreign player coming over to NBA and getting used to (1) change in speed & tempo of games, (2) athleticism of opponents and (3) rule changes ... I definitely think Faverani is capable of developing and improving beyond his performance level last year. A lot of foreign big men improve defensively after their first year. Main concern is how quickly (or slow) Faverani is to make those improvements and whether he'll be where BOS needs him to be by next season (or if it'll take longer).

So I have some hope for Faverani to grow in his role next year but none for Joel Anthony.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I expect him to take up space.   I think Stevens soured on him pretty quickly last year.   I do not expect him to get tons of playing time because of that and this was prior to the injury, early in the season.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Favarani was slow on defense before he hurt his knee I think he will be completely useless after his knee injury. Anthony is a good defensive veteran presence that can at least help guide the rookies.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i expect them to keep two places on the bench very warm and to wave towels as their cheer the team on. and hopefully they will do so while being next to the corpse of gerald wallace.  ;D

anthony is toast and his days as a useful player are over.

faveroni i had hoped would be a credible rotation big. he has physical talent, but as i watched him he consistently missed defensive rotations and jacked up ill advised shots, often early in the shot clock. he has talent, but i dont think he is a particularly bright basketball player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Beyond that,

No hope of Joel Anthony being more than what he is. He has been around for a number of years and shown clearly both what is he capable of doing and what he is not capable of doing. A known quantity.

My expectations are low but I am hoping Faverani has worked on his PnR defense and won't be such a liability in this area defensively. That is what killed him last year. He was pretty good in other areas but he was so bad in PnRs that Coach Stevens had to take him out of starting lineup. Too many teams running high numbers of PnRs for Faverani's weakness to be hidden. Teams were targeting Faverani and exploiting him mercilessly. Faverani had to be taken out of starting lineup. No way around it. Just too vulnerable defensively in key area. Entire team defense was falling apart because he couldn't do his job.

Anyway, I'd like to see Faverani show some progress in this area. If he does, I think Faverani can play regular role at center. Either as starter or backup depending on how much progress he makes ... because the rest of his game is pretty solid.

For a foreign player coming over to NBA and getting used to (1) change in speed & tempo of games, (2) athleticism of opponents and (3) rule changes ... I definitely think Faverani is capable of developing and improving beyond his performance level last year. A lot of foreign big men improve defensively after their first year. Main concern is how quickly (or slow) Faverani is to make those improvements and whether he'll be where BOS needs him to be by next season (or if it'll take longer).

So I have some hope for Faverani to grow in his role next year but none for Joel Anthony.

TP Who, you described my feelings on what both players can contribute precisely. I think Faverani, if he improves significantly on his PR defense as you said, can be a solid contributor. He has some legit offensive skills. Ainge saw something in him worth developing, as he did sign him to a 3 year deal and made a bit of an effort to bring him over.

Anthony is what he is. It's too bad he opted in, but expected.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Both guys are a waste of space.  I would rather watch KO log huge minutes at center then see either of these guys see the court.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i expect them to keep two places on the bench very warm and to wave towels as their cheer the team on. and hopefully they will do so while being next to the corpse of gerald wallace.  ;D

If they make the active roster, they'll get minutes.   Teams don't usually keep their starters in when they are getting blown out.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Anthony imo went the Mark Blount route. Got paid and then became lazy.  He is not that old and could be in better shape. If Anthony comes into camp at the shape he was in 2010-2012 (in hopes somebody picks him up after this season), what kind of impact can he provide to the team??

Completely disagree on this assessment of Anthony. He's always been a bad player (undersized, awful hands, no offensive game, poor rebounder). He played on the Heat out of necessity. Once they acquired a person that could everything he does (bring energy, defend the pick and roll, play solid D), but better in Birdman, he was phased out of the rotation. He is actually known as a hard worker and not lazy at all. He's pretty much accomplished what he can with his limited talent.