Author Topic: KO leads team Canada to OT win  (Read 4621 times)

Re: KO leads team Canada to OT win
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
If KO averages 14/7 I will be stunned.  I think it's on the brink of being possible, but that would be crazy for the season.   He really needs to work on his defense though

I've already offered a TP wager, with the prediction that KO will average at least 14/7 if he averages at least 25-30 mpg this season.  I'd love to see Bass traded for another asset so we can open up time for our young bigs. 

Want to bet against KO or for him? ;-)

I'm in, I love Bass, but he isn't in our future in my opinion. Too expensive down the road and will get old and clog up minutes where the young should be getting them

So, what can we get for Bass, I do not think we can get a first rounder from him...maybe a solid role player who's younger back? Can he grab us Thomas Robinson? How about 2 second rounders?

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If KO averages 14/7 I will be stunned.  I think it's on the brink of being possible, but that would be crazy for the season.   He really needs to work on his defense though

I've already offered a TP wager, with the prediction that KO will average at least 14/7 if he averages at least 25-30 mpg this season.  I'd love to see Bass traded for another asset so we can open up time for our young bigs. 

I'm in, I love Bass, but he isn't in our future in my opinion. Too expensive down the road and will get old and clog up minutes where the young should be getting them

So, what can we get for Bass, I do not think we can get a first rounder from him...maybe a solid role player who's younger back? Can he grab us Thomas Robinson? How about 2 second rounders?

Well I heard that Ainge offered Bass for a 7/8ish m trade exception but the deal didn't go through.  So I have faith that DA is actively trying to shop Bass for the best deal that he can get.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Well I heard that Ainge offered Bass for a 7/8ish m trade exception but the deal didn't go through.  So I have faith that DA is actively trying to shop Bass for the best deal that he can get.
sometimes numbers can help us get context.

last season, exactly 17 players in the nba averaged at least 14 points and 7 rebounds. 17. that is roughly 3 percent of all nba players. that is pretty lofty company for olly to be keeping.

of those 17, all but one of them required OVER 30 minutes of playing time to achieve these numbers.

who as the only player last year to average at least 14 points and 7 rebounds in less than 30 minutes? ....

tim duncan.

i accept your wager of tps for olly's performance. those odds are too good to refuse. :) remind of this bet at the end of the season please.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:36:42 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:03 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

last season, exactly 17 players in the nba averaged at least 14 points and 7 rebounds. 17. that is roughly 3 percent of all nba players. that is pretty lofty company for olly to be keeping.

of those 17, all but one of them required OVER 30 minutes of playing time to achieve these numbers.

who as the only player last year to average at least 14 points and 7 rebounds in less than 30 minutes? ....

tim duncan.

i accept your wager of tps for olly's performance. those odds are too good to refuse. :) remind of this bet at the end of the season please.

I hate when people bring sanity into an argument.  TP for you.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

tim duncan.

I hate when people bring sanity into an argument.  TP for you.

So what did you think of Olynyk's performance then?

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

tim duncan.

Olynyk averaged ~12/6 in ~23 MPG post all star break after gaining confidence and more play calls. He was very shy to shoot at the beginning of the year but ended the year averaging ~9/5 in 20 MPG. As it stands, Olynyk's post all star break averages of at least 11.7 PPG and 6 RPG put him in the top 10% of the NBA. You really think it's that much of a stretch for this guy to average 14/7? You make it sound really difficult without giving context on what Olynyk has already achieved.

Actually had Olynyk played ~27 MPG instead of ~23 MPG post all star break (only 4 MPG difference so extrapolating makes okay sense here), he would have hit those averages of 14/7 in under 30 MPG over a stretch of ~30 games as a rookie.

We even had a player only .7 PPG away from at least 14/7 (in less than 30 MPG also! Duncan!), and Olynyk's skill set is far more versatile. That 3% argument doesn't sound as great when you realize Sullinger is probably right there in the top 4-5%. Boozer and Faried were literally tenths of a point per game away from 14/7 in under 30 MPG.

EDIT: Yeah, just did the numbers to include the 4 games previous to the all star break to get a clean 30 game-straight sample size. Olynyk, in the last 30 games of the season, averaged 11.7 PPG and 6.6 RPG in 22.8 MPG. 30 games is 43% of Olynyk's NBA career. I think it's silly for anyone to make a prediction based on someone's rookie year, but if anything, there is definitely more positives to it than you are hinting at when wondering whether Olynyk can hit 14/7. Based on the last 30 games, he was only 2.3 PPG and .4 RPG away from that average, and he was only playing 22.8 MPG. 27.3 MPG would have had Olynyk at 14 PPG. 24.2 MPG would have had Olynyk at 7 RPG.

I have no idea how Olynyk will produce this year, but this is not out of the realms of (realistic) possibilities by any means.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:11:28 PM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
What is Kelly Olynyk ceiling?

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
What is Kelly Olynyk ceiling?

Larry Bird
That's a very high ceiling!

OTOH, 14/7, if Olynyk averages over 30 mpg, wouldn't surprise me. I can see Sully and Zeller averaging that, too, if they get 30+ mpg.