Author Topic: Why this team doesnt need a true Center this Season  (Read 4477 times)

Re: Why this team doesnt need a true Center this Season
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Ok before all of you blast me this topic lets think long term. Is Ed Davis the future center of the Boston Celtics? Is Tyler Zeller the answer? No no no no. This team does need a future realistic Center somebody that you can build around. With not getting Embid in the draft this year that changes things. Not getting love via a trade also changes Danny's plan for the future. Maybe he had a deal in place for Asik if he got Love. We don't know. All that I am saying is sit back breath for a few Minutes and think this team will win about 25-30 games next year. We will have cap room for the first time in years. Next years draft is loaded with center opitions according to Draft Express. All I am saying is sit back and relax and watch the future happen. Next year you will have a decent Center in Boston.

Embiid is going to be either the next Oden or the next Hakeem.  He's that talented and that much of a risk and talent.  Scouts are not making this crap up.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Bridge the gap with fabulous melo if we want to be tank squad.

Otherwise, roll with Zeller and Fav and see what you got. Joel and a stop gap like Okafor / Oden as possible depth signings too.

Well, as hard as it is to accept, we can't rebuild all at once.  Next year is the year of the big guys, so we'll hopefully be able to address our needs via a high draft pick next year (haha, yeah right).  Honestly, even though I want Oden and Okafor, even if we don't get either of them, I wouldn't mind that so much had we been able to get KJ Mcdaniels on draft night via buying into the 2nd round or just straight up trading for the guy.  Yes, he's a wing, but he's great at coming from the weakside for blocks.  I realize that such a solution is hardly typical or traditional for addressing such a gross deficiency on our team, but without a traditional shot blocker, he might very well have been the best, "rim protector," in the draft, aside from Embiid, naturally.  I wish that we could trade for him or something.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 02:44:53 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
We need to suck for one more year.  Next years draft is loaded at center.  I suggest we try to draft two of them.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 07:21:02 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
According to this blog, nobody on the current Celtic's roster is actually good enough to play for the team. they are all just a bunch of future trade chips to be used someday, down the road, to build a super team.
I say, while we're waiting, let's stop worrying about what we don't have and take these so called trade chips for a test run and see how many teams we can make believe we are better than most people think we are.

whether this boardroom likes it or not, the Celtics are making the playoffs, no tanks to you!!!

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Since it's looking like we're going to have at least one more bad season in a rebuild, I don't see the need to bring in a Center. With Zeller,Fav and Anthony we're all set. Add stints with KO and it's actually the deepest that position has been in years.

Yes Zeller and Fav may or may not be starters in the league, but I think this and possible the next is a chance to see if they are or not with out loosing anything at stake.

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Rebounding and protecting the rim may present a problem this year unless some sort of deal is made. 
I thought I would compare the rebounding stats of this current team roster with a Celtic team, in the recent pre-big3 era, that had the most playoff success.  Turns out it was the 2001-2002 team which made it to the Eastern Conference finals.

I realize that it is realistically impossible to compare teams from different eras, but thought maybe it could provide some insight into the current roster.  I listed the players from both eras and their rebounding stats... (Sorry, I didn't include minutes played or make adjustments that might qualify these stats.) 

2013-20014      Total Rebounds        2001-2202       Total Rebounds
Jared Sullinger       601         Antoine Walker    714
Brandon Bass           470         Paul Pierce      566
Evan Turner           408         Tony Battie      481   
Jeff Green           380         Vitaly Potapenko    347      
Kelly Olynyk           365         Eric Williams      221
Tyler Zeller           282         Kenny Anderson       275
Avery Bradley           226         Erick Strickland          213
Gerald Wallace        212         Joe Johnson      139
Marcus Thornton      198              Walter McCarty   128
Rajon Rondo           164         Rodney Rogers      107
Vitor Faverani           128         Tony Delk                 79
Phil Pressey            105         Mark Blount        85
Joel Anthony              31         Milt Palacio       50         
Keith Bogans                3         Kedrick Brown        50         
Marcus Smart                  Joseph Forte           6      
James Young                   Randy Brown            0
(Kris Humphries       409)

A few things surprised me about these stats. 
1.  That Jared Sallinger is our leading rebounder.   (And, I've been dissing him because he doesn't match up well with taller centers...maybe he has more value than I thought.)
2.  The low rebound total for Zeller.  He had a better rebounding number in the previous year.  Likely because his minutes were down. 
3.  Kris Humphries rebounding numbers....Why Danny let him go?  I may need a shrink to figure that one out. 
4.  Comparing the players themselves from a different era.  The 2001-2002 teams seems a lot tougher and agile than the current crew.  Brandon Bass compares favorably in the muscle department and it's hard to move Sully out of the way.  But, it still seems the old team had more finesse and determination when it comes to rebounding. 
5. I am surprised how few rebounds Potapenko and Rogers had.  Maybe it was the minutes they played?  I didn't check that out. Still, they were tough players.  I am not sure any of the big men on the current roster have their toughness? 

My feeling is that even though the 2001-2002 team didn't have a rim protector or a sensational rebounder, they still managed to be successful.  Could this roster, as it is put together, be successful without a legitimate center?  Judging from the past it could be. But, I think each player has to toughen up and focus because their isn't anyone who is going to come to their rescue on the boards and/or when players go to the rim. 

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
(Sorry, I didn't include minutes played or make adjustments that might qualify these stats.) 

If you wanted to fix your mistake that makes these numbers kind of meaningless, you can use a stat like total rebounding percentage.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
According to this blog, nobody on the current Celtic's roster is actually good enough to play for the team. they are all just a bunch of future trade chips to be used someday, down the road, to build a super team.
I say, while we're waiting, let's stop worrying about what we don't have and take these so called trade chips for a test run and see how many teams we can make believe we are better than most people think we are.

whether this boardroom likes it or not, the Celtics are making the playoffs, no tanks to you!!!

Whether you like it or not, this team kind of sucks, and is much more likely to make the lottery than the playoffs.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We do need a true center even if we are rebuilding just so that Sully and Oly can play and grow at their true positions.
How would the Celtics having a true center help Sullinger grow as the starting C of Olympiacos Athens?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ice cold.

TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
If Danny is really committed to the long term rebound y'all are correct we don't need a center on this team and that should secure another early lotto pick next year. I am only worried that it is hurting the development of KO and sully, not having a center.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
If Danny is really committed to the long term rebound y'all are correct we don't need a center on this team and that should secure another early lotto pick next year. I am only worried that it is hurting the development of KO and sully, not having a center.

Excellent point about securing another early lotto pick next year...TP 

Not sure it really hurts the development of KO and Sully.  I would say it helps them making them tougher. 

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I don't see why Zeller couldn't outplay Kelly or Fav for the starting 5 spot.

The trick is to beat Bass out of the starting line up.

if Sully comes into camp with the body of a power forward, hopefully Stevens is forced to move away from the Bass Sullinger duo.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Patience? Rationality? I say no to you, sir.

Tyler Zeller is going to become a 20-10-6 blocks a game center. He will be the first center to win DPOY, MVP, Finals MVP, NBA Citizen of the Century, Intergalatic MVP, FIBA World Champion MVP, and (the KIA) Best player Ever Of All Time. Bill Russell will start wearing Tyler Zeller Jerseys. That is what's going to happen.

I know because I have a very keen eye for youtube highlights.
how dare you hate on zeller this way!! ONLY 20-10-6??  >:( wilt chamberlain's records are due to be smashed by our zeller this year. and you forgot his 8 assists a game as well.  ;)

Just dont let him get near Sully's cakes and pastries;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;