Author Topic: Why this team doesnt need a true Center this Season  (Read 4476 times)

Why this team doesnt need a true Center this Season
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Ok before all of you blast me this topic lets think long term. Is Ed Davis the future center of the Boston Celtics? Is Tyler Zeller the answer? No no no no. This team does need a future realistic Center somebody that you can build around. With not getting Embid in the draft this year that changes things. Not getting love via a trade also changes Danny's plan for the future. Maybe he had a deal in place for Asik if he got Love. We don't know. All that I am saying is sit back breath for a few Minutes and think this team will win about 25-30 games next year. We will have cap room for the first time in years. Next years draft is loaded with center opitions according to Draft Express. All I am saying is sit back and relax and watch the future happen. Next year you will have a decent Center in Boston.

Re: Why this team doesnt need a true Center this Season
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Patience? Rationality? I say no to you, sir.

Tyler Zeller is going to become a 20-10-6 blocks a game center. He will be the first center to win DPOY, MVP, Finals MVP, NBA Citizen of the Century, Intergalatic MVP, FIBA World Champion MVP, and (the KIA) Best player Ever Of All Time. Bill Russell will start wearing Tyler Zeller Jerseys. That is what's going to happen.

I know because I have a very keen eye for youtube highlights.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Tyler Zeller is going to become a 20-10-6 blocks a game center. He will be the first center to win DPOY, MVP, Finals MVP, NBA Citizen of the Century, Intergalatic MVP, FIBA World Champion MVP, and (the KIA) Best player Ever Of All Time. Bill Russell will start wearing Tyler Zeller Jerseys. That is what's going to happen.

Man you are a funny guy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I agree to an extent, we're not contending so in my honest opinion

we should NOT tank another season, we should compete for a playoff spot...gather as much assets as we can

Yes we have a log jam at the guard position, but in my honest opinion

Evan Turner is an upgrade over Pressey, Babb, Johnson, you name it

You now have more valuable trade chips to use for anyone. I see Rondo as a true building block and cornerstone of this franchise (not that he's un-tradeable but he can be one of the big 3 in a potential future Celtics roster)

Anyone else along with picks can be traded.

You now have all these items in our yard sale

9-10 picks over the next 5 years (confirm number please)

Evan Turner/Jeff Green/Bradley/Tyler Zeller/Smart/Bass/Sullinger

pick and choose your package

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We do need a real center. At worst a legit rim protector. Right now im ok with zeller getting all the chance in the world to become our chris bosh/horace grant/pj brown not really a center but can play the position kind of guy.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
we need a star - a go to guy, before anything else. if that happens to be a center? then great. but we need a star and then the rest of the roster will come in to shape.

I don't think the next star will be a center though, it'll likely be a wing player as that's what most of the big name stars are these days. I just think the days of great centers are gone, most of the good ones these days only play one side of the ball.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Well, next years draft will be full with centers. IMO Karl Towns may be the best

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
we need a star - a go to guy, before anything else. if that happens to be a center? then great. but we need a star and then the rest of the roster will come in to shape.

I don't think the next star will be a center though, it'll likely be a wing player as that's what most of the big name stars are these days. I just think the days of great centers are gone, most of the good ones these days only play one side of the ball.

If he stays healthy, I expect Embiid to be a star center who plays on both sides of the ball.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

If he stays healthy, I expect Embiid to be a star center who plays on both sides of the ball.

not to poop in everyone's cereal when it comes to embiid. and I know i'm more than likely in the minority but I think he has a chance at just being 'ok' if he's lucky and the odds are he's more of a bust than a future hall of famer.

my personal thoughts on him were I thought he was a project to begin with and then the injuries popped up. for those reasons alone I wouldn't have taken him in the top 10. but in this league if a big man shows any bit of talent, teams & prognosticators automatically project them in the top 5 - 10 picks. it's just the way it is.

I know there's no such thing as a "sure thing" but i'd rather see my team take someone that isn't a project. sure they can all be considered "projects" but some are more than others.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We won't be contending so I agree for the most part.   Hopefully, we develop some talent or move some to get a true C.  I think Zeller will be a nice player and a true C for us as well but he is not starter quality.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

how dare you hate on zeller this way!! ONLY 20-10-6??  >:( wilt chamberlain's records are due to be smashed by our zeller this year. and you forgot his 8 assists a game as well.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We don't need a true center this season because the team isn't going to be particularly good regardless.  I think that's your argument, and I mostly agree.  I think there's value in having some stability at center so the team can learn to play a style that is tailored to a roster with an actual center.  That will allow players to fill roles they would fill on a team that is competitive and stocked with cohesive talent.

I think Zeller is probably adequate for that purpose, though I'd like to see Danny trade Green and/or Bass and get another respectable center to take up the remaining minutes at the center position.  I'd like to avoid playing Olynyk or Sullinger at center, and I have very little faith in Faverani as an NBA rotation player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

how dare you hate on zeller this way!! ONLY 20-10-6??  >:( wilt chamberlain's records are due to be smashed by our zeller this year. and you forgot his 8 assists a game as well.  ;)

My failure causes me shame. I shall flog myself forthwith.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Bridge the gap with fabulous melo if we want to be tank squad.

Otherwise, roll with Zeller and Fav and see what you got. Joel and a stop gap like Okafor / Oden as possible depth signings too.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We do need a true center even if we are rebuilding just so that Sully and Oly can play and grow at their true positions.  Zeller is a nice start, but we need someone else.   Ideally, we are bad/lucky enough to get Okafor or Towns.  If not, there are some other good options in next year's draft