Poll

Is Jeff Green going to remain a Celtic through 2015-16?

Yes, he'll opt in for the $9.2 million
12 (28.6%)
No, he'll test the market for a bigger paycheck considering how much teams are spending for similar players
27 (64.3%)
I'm not sure yet, I don't know if he'd get more than $9 million per year as a free agent- he may or may not.
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?  (Read 7529 times)

Re: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The only scenario in which Green doesn't opt out is if he gets injured.

That, or if he want to basically postpone his free agency until the following summer, when the cap and subsequent player salaries are expected to skyrocket with a new TV deal. It would be a bit of a gamble for him to do that, but agents tend to push players to do these sort of things.

Some teams will offer deals next year that factor in the expected rise in the cap due to the new TV deal so it's still possible some players will 'come out' a year early.  Especially if the FA market at their position looks less competitive next year than in 2016.

But yeah, it's basically really difficult to call at this point.  I think it's a big, fat, wide-open question as to whether he'll opt out or in next year.   And I think that's going to make it unlikely that he gets traded any time soon.    Too much variance in his valuation right now.  I can't imagine Danny being able to reach an agreement on how much he is worth given the uncertainty of his contract.

Maybe as we get close to the trade deadline, when, if he's had a good year to that point and it's more obvious that he WILL opt out.   Then it would be solidified that he would be being traded as an end-of-season rental for a contender and can be priced accordingly.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The only scenario in which Green doesn't opt out is if he gets injured.

That, or if he want to basically postpone his free agency until the following summer, when the cap and subsequent player salaries are expected to skyrocket with a new TV deal. It would be a bit of a gamble for him to do that, but agents tend to push players to do these sort of things.

Some teams will offer deals next year that factor in the expected rise in the cap due to the new TV deal so it's still possible some players will 'come out' a year early.  Especially if the FA market at their position looks less competitive next year than in 2016.

But yeah, it's basically really difficult to call at this point.  I think it's a big, fat, wide-open question as to whether he'll opt out or in next year.   And I think that's going to make it unlikely that he gets traded any time soon.    Too much variance in his valuation right now.  I can't imagine Danny being able to reach an agreement on how much he is worth given the uncertainty of his contract.

Maybe as we get close to the trade deadline, when, if he's had a good year to that point and it's more obvious that he WILL opt out.   Then it would be solidified that he would be being traded as an end-of-season rental for a contender and can be priced accordingly.

Yes, I agree with this. I originally thought he'd wait until 2016 but then realized that plenty of teams will make big offers in anticipation of 2016 anyway. Some team will make him a big offer and he'll be gone. I don't get the impression that Green is desperate to play on a contender either, so he'll probably just take the best deal unless the money is close.

The Celtics aren't in a situation where they can pay too many guys 8-15 million if they're not superstars. By signing Bradley I don't see how they can pay Green as well. It wouldn't be wise to tie up 20+ million on guys who aren't stars when you don't even have the young foundational players on the roster yet, besides maybe Smart.

I really hope Ainge doesn't wait until next offseason and then overpay Green just because he doesn't like to "lose an asset for nothing."

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 07:11:33 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
If he's so good why can't Danny get anything for him?

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Green gets rebounds in his own "zone" at an acceptable rate. He doesn't crash the glass and get those outside his natural area very much. Doesn't really have a knack for it.

If he would hustle more he would avg an acceptable 7 rebounds per game for his size and position
Given that LeBron gets 7 RPG I doubt that Jeff Green would match that if he just "tried really really hard".

Triboy thinks every player can be an all-star if they "try really hard" and "put on some weight" or "get in shape", and by "get in shape" he means he intends players like Sullinger to become Karl Malone or Anthony Mason physically.

Unfortunately for the celtics, this isn't high school sports. These guys are pro-atheletes who have been working on their games and on their bodies full time for many years. If they can't do it yet, it's highly unlikely to change drastically.

Your attitude is great.

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If he's so good why can't Danny get anything for him?

a) We have no idea if Danny has even TRIED to "get anything for him".

b) Per the two comments right above yours, the nature of Green's contract (a Player Option for 2015-16) makes arriving at a trade value for Green right now kind of a useless exercise.   That makes it unlikely he will be traded until closer to the trade deadline (assuming Danny even wants to trade him).

So, even if Danny is INCLINED to trade Green, there really isn't too much point in trying to trade him now, unless some team comes right out and offers something really compelling for him.

At the trade deadline, Green's value will start to crystalize (because it should be clearer on whether he intends to exercise his option) and maybe he will be traded then.  We will see.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Green gets rebounds in his own "zone" at an acceptable rate. He doesn't crash the glass and get those outside his natural area very much. Doesn't really have a knack for it.

If he would hustle more he would avg an acceptable 7 rebounds per game for his size and position
Given that LeBron gets 7 RPG I doubt that Jeff Green would match that if he just "tried really really hard".

Triboy thinks every player can be an all-star if they "try really hard" and "put on some weight" or "get in shape", and by "get in shape" he means he intends players like Sullinger to become Karl Malone or Anthony Mason physically.

Unfortunately for the celtics, this isn't high school sports. These guys are pro-atheletes who have been working on their games and on their bodies full time for many years. If they can't do it yet, it's highly unlikely to change drastically.

Your attitude is great.

Sorry Triboy, I didn't intend to come off as offensive. Your a good dude and make some good points, I just find the contrast in our perspectives fascinating and I like to point it out sometimes. I'm on the opposite end of your perspectives fairly often.

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am hoping he has the classic jump in production in a contract year like so many others before him. (Take a look at Kyle Lowry for a recent example) If he is 50% better this season that will be great for us then he will leave, hopefully in a sign and trade. Or we deal him at the deadline to a team wanting him for the stretch. Fortunately there are many teams looking for a guy that can play the 3/4. I think Green produces well here then gets dealt.

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
To me, the question is not whether Jeff Green will opt out...

...money wise, no brainer...

However, to me, the bigger question is, what do the Celtics hope Jeff Green will do?

If he wants to opt out, then it's in his best interest to have as good of a season as possible.  Greater consistency will make those teams who may be interested in signing him take notice, which could increase our position when it comes to trading him.

If he wants to opt in, I would still hope for greater consistency with him.  Opting in may mean that he wants to give back to Boston for standing by him with his health issues.  A desire to try to improve and be a leading force on this team for years to come.

Both of those are win/win scenarios to me. 

Rak

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
People will see him for the player he isn't and he will opt in.

He isn't a desired player.