Poll

Is Jeff Green going to remain a Celtic through 2015-16?

Yes, he'll opt in for the $9.2 million
12 (28.6%)
No, he'll test the market for a bigger paycheck considering how much teams are spending for similar players
27 (64.3%)
I'm not sure yet, I don't know if he'd get more than $9 million per year as a free agent- he may or may not.
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?  (Read 7491 times)

Re: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
The only scenario in which Green doesn't opt out is if he gets injured.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Agreed. He will almost certainly become a free agent. Even if for some strange reason he ends up making *less* than $9M a year, he will likely sign a multiyear contract worth many millions (ie: he'd take 3 years $26M over the remaining 1 year $9M -- who wouldn't want that security?)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My bad on greens wingspan measurement. But man if his wingspan is 7.1(plus height, jumping ability) I cant believe even more how poor of a rebounder he is

Have you ever compared Green's collegiate rebounding numbers to Young's?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Thankfully, I think it's very likely that he will.  That said, I would be happy to see Danny move him for any kind of value if it guarantees that money comes off the books after the season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Green gets rebounds in his own "zone" at an acceptable rate. He doesn't crash the glass and get those outside his natural area very much. Doesn't really have a knack for it.

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Green gets rebounds in his own "zone" at an acceptable rate. He doesn't crash the glass and get those outside his natural area very much. Doesn't really have a knack for it.

I'm actually kind of okay with Greens rebounding given the role that he plays.  What bothers me a lot more is the lack of "hustle" plays he generates -- steals, blocks, tipped passes, etc -- and the fact that he really isn't much of a passer and only handles the ball if he's taking a few dribbles toward the rim.

That lack of versatility kind of requires him to be limited to his role as a pure complementary scorer with occasional mismatch-exploiting ability.  He's a useful player, and he's actually more or less paid at fair value, he just doesn't fit on a rebuilding team with a lot of holes to fill. 

The Celtics would probably do just as well with a cheap hustle guy that can shoot threes e.g. Demarre Carroll, simply because neither Green nor Carroll is gonna move the needle enough to get the Celtics into competitive territory.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The UFA class for wingman is very thin next year so I would guess he would as long as he puts up similiar numbers and stout defense..

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Some of the green haters will be in shock but Jeff is signed to a pretty team friendly deal.  He can make more $ as a free agent.  I'd welcome him back

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Let's all just hope that Jeff Green plays well enough, consistently enough, where his opting out of the last year of his contract is a no-brainer.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
The new tv deal post 2015/16 makes it more likely he opts in. Better to go out on the market during the summer of 2016, more monies available.

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If he would hustle more he would avg an acceptable 7 rebounds per game for his size and position

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If he would hustle more he would avg an acceptable 7 rebounds per game for his size and position
Given that LeBron gets 7 RPG I doubt that Jeff Green would match that if he just "tried really really hard".

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Given that LeBron gets 7 RPG I doubt that Jeff Green would match that if he just "tried really really hard".

Triboy thinks every player can be an all-star if they "try really hard" and "put on some weight" or "get in shape", and by "get in shape" he means he intends players like Sullinger to become Karl Malone or Anthony Mason physically.

Unfortunately for the celtics, this isn't high school sports. These guys are pro-atheletes who have been working on their games and on their bodies full time for many years. If they can't do it yet, it's highly unlikely to change drastically.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

That, or if he wants to basically postpone his free agency until the following summer, when the cap and subsequent player salaries are expected to skyrocket with a new TV deal. It would be a bit of a gamble for him to do that, but agents tend to push players to do these sort of things.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:25:27 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The new tv deal post 2015/16 makes it more likely he opts in. Better to go out on the market during the summer of 2016, more monies available.

For Green it doesn't.  There will be a number of teams next season who have cap room.  Jeff would be the best at his position (or maybe Rudy Gay) on the market.  Much better for him to be in a limited supply market.