Poll

Is Jeff Green going to remain a Celtic through 2015-16?

Yes, he'll opt in for the $9.2 million
12 (28.6%)
No, he'll test the market for a bigger paycheck considering how much teams are spending for similar players
27 (64.3%)
I'm not sure yet, I don't know if he'd get more than $9 million per year as a free agent- he may or may not.
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?  (Read 7492 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So at the end of this upcoming season, Jeff Green has a player option on his contract for $9.2 million (the same as he will be paid this season). If you don't know what this means; Jeff can decide to stay with the Celtics at the end of this upcoming season, for one more year at $9.2 million.
 But Green can also terminate his deal with the Celtics at the end of this season and hit free agency again- if he feels he'll get more money and/or more long term security in a newly negotiated deal for another 3 or 4 years.
Given the increase in the NBA salary cap this season and for the next few seasons, we are seeing some questionable deals and money being thrown around like water.
Notables?
*Chandler Parsons got a deal that starts at $14.7 million and ends in three seasons at $16.02 mil.
*Gordon Hayward got an even larger deal for 4 seasons that finishes on $16.7 million.
*Jodie Meeks got 3 years and $19 million
*Marvin Williams got a two year $14 million deal.

Chandler Parsons is an okay player, but his stats are almost identical to Jeff Green's.
Gordon Hayward is the same story. People will say it's because of their age but Parsons is 2 years younger than Green, and Hayward is 24 (3 and a half years younger than Green).

If Jeff Green opts out at the end of this season, lets assume he's going to be expecting at least $8-$9 million per year for 2 years, more like $10-$11 million for the shorter two year contract. He'd do this 2 year deal similarly to Lebron so he can cash in on the new NBA TV Deal in 2 years time.

Anyway, what do you think Jeff Green does at the end of the year?
Does this potentially make Green an expiring contract if he is going to opt out?
Does it make you more open to trading him? Do we trade him ASAP or hope he stays for $9 million?

Seems this really hasn't been discussed much so dish your thoughts.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
based on Parsons and Hayward got for contracts (comparable players to Jeff Green when he signed the current deal) I'd have to believe Jeff opts out based on the reasonable assumption of a much bigger paycheck.  add in the fact next year is a bit thin for good FA's and he could reasonably assume to get something in the $14 mill range per year.

The only 3 reasons I could see him opting in are:
1. he has a season ending injury that puts his value in doubt
2. he really underperforms this year (I highly doubt this scenario)
3. he wants to delay hitting free agency until after the next TV contract is negotiated and the salary cap makes that huge jump everyone's anticipating.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jeff Green is the 22nd ranked SF in PER.
He only plays hard occasionally.

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Gotta hope he opts out.

That only means good things for the Cs.

As slam alluded to in his point 2 above, if Green has a good year, his value increases and that means good things for us both during the year and his value as a S&T asset.

If he doesn't opt out, that most likely means bad things have preceded his decision not to.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Well Deng only got 2 years, 20 million and I'd but Green much more in the Deng category than the Parsons, Hayward category.  Heck, Green isn't much different than Marvin Williams from an efficiency standpoint, actually.

All that said, I think he opts out so he can sign a 3 or 4 year contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He will if he performce at a high level. Danny is hoping for this and then to trade him if we r out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Young and turner likely the future at the sf spots

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
based on Parsons and Hayward got for contracts (comparable players to Jeff Green when he signed the current deal) I'd have to believe Jeff opts out based on the reasonable assumption of a much bigger paycheck.  add in the fact next year is a bit thin for good FA's and he could reasonably assume to get something in the $14 mill range per year.

The only 3 reasons I could see him opting in are:
1. he has a season ending injury that puts his value in doubt
2. he really underperforms this year (I highly doubt this scenario)
3. he wants to delay hitting free agency until after the next TV contract is negotiated and the salary cap makes that huge jump everyone's anticipating.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said- the one thing I'd contest is the $14 million price tag. I'll actually partly contradict myself because the more I think about it ..ie he'll be 28 and past his 'potential' point that what you see is what you get, with no hope strings attached, kinda like Marvin Williams. Further contradicting myself (lol) what I mentioned in the OP regarding his age because Hayward (and Parsons less so) have a few years of 'potential' punch in their prices like J Green had back when Danny penned him to that 4 year deal at age 24 like Hayward. It's funny that potential like Green back then got 9 million and 3 years later that potential is worth $5-7 million more. Green arguably had more potential at the time of his signing than either Parsons or Hayward. Given his lack of potential, he's still an incredibly reliable 3 point shooter and wing garbage scorer to take pressure off your better 2 or 3 players.

As a counter argument to him being past his 'potential' point, his athleticism will arguably last another 3-4 years so you aren't going to get a significant decline in his output- it will probably just increase his efficiency once he plays with better players and he matures with playing time.
Based on last season I'd say he'll fetch a  2 year, 20 million dollar deal and we will let him ride off towards no-man's land as the sun sets.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Depends all on performance.

He and rondo are both in contract years pretty much so this is why its tough to predict this team.

If Jeff Green decides to show up for 1/2  the games instead of 1/4 and Rondo tries in games not on national TV then we will win 30-35 games.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
He will if he performce at a high level. Danny is hoping for this and then to trade him if we r out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Young and turner likely the future at the sf spots
I dunno about Turner.
I'd say we'd be hoping Young somehow becomes Jeff Green 2.0, because that's his ceiling to me.
Turner however is just not that great a basketball player- similarly to Jeff, he's just missing something behind the wheel that he can't change from a solid, better than average NBA player to a top 35-40 NBA player.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
My guess is that he's almost certainly going to opt out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he opts out too.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I dunno about Turner.
I'd say we'd be hoping Young somehow becomes Jeff Green 2.0, because that's his ceiling to me.
Turner however is just not that great a basketball player- similarly to Jeff, he's just missing something behind the wheel that he can't change from a solid, better than average NBA player to a top 35-40 NBA player.

I agree. Turner lacks the killer instincs and consistentcy to be a legit starter in this league. But maybe a diff environment will bring out the best of him. His jump shot needs work

Young is going to be a nice player. Could be more efficient, but comes through when you need someone to step up , deadly shooter and excellend rebounder for his height. Not like jeff green at all

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dunno about Turner.

I agree. Turner lacks the killer instincs and consistentcy to be a legit starter in this league. But maybe a diff environment will bring out the best of him. His jump shot needs work
I think his lack of shooting and defensive shortcomings are what keeps him from being a starting caliber player. Just doesn't bring anything above average as a shooting guard except defensive rebounding.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline Havlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
He'll probably opt out, but will he still be a celtic at the end of the season?

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I dunno about Turner.

I think his lack of shooting and defensive shortcomings are what keeps him from being a starting caliber player. Just doesn't bring anything above average as a shooting guard except defensive rebounding.

Turners defensive effort is there. Just is not physical enough usually. Jump shot issues imo is in his head.   His form is decent and is a very good at the ft line.