Poll

Is Jeff Green going to remain a Celtic through 2015-16?

Yes, he'll opt in for the $9.2 million
12 (28.6%)
No, he'll test the market for a bigger paycheck considering how much teams are spending for similar players
27 (64.3%)
I'm not sure yet, I don't know if he'd get more than $9 million per year as a free agent- he may or may not.
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?  (Read 7531 times)

Re: So will Jeff Green opt out of his contract at the end of this season?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Yes with the amount of money that is being given out this year he will for sure get his Money. He will have a good year this year average about 22 Points per game. I hope Danny can trade him before he opts out and get his market value. If he has a great year you sell high on him.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What if Green has a good year and likes Boston and how the team has treated him with his surgery and recovery so that he is willing to opt out and sign a 3-4 year deal at $1-2m less per year than what he is predicted to get as a free agent?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He'll opt out barring injury.  If nothing else, he's sure to be able to get the same money for more years, and very likely more money for more years.  He's better than Trevor "Contract Year" Ariza, who got 4 years, $32 million.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
What if Green has a good year and likes Boston and how the team has treated him with his surgery and recovery so that he is willing to opt out and sign a 3-4 year deal at $1-2m less per year than what he is predicted to get as a free agent?

Don't see that happening.  Good will might make him willing to give Boston right of first refusal if they can't come to an agreement before he gets into negotiations with other teams, but considering how much his name has been bandied about in trades the last year, I'm not sure that will exist either.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He will if he performce at a high level. Danny is hoping for this and then to trade him if we r out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Young and turner likely the future at the sf spots
I dunno about Turner.
I'd say we'd be hoping Young somehow becomes Jeff Green 2.0, because that's his ceiling to me.
Turner however is just not that great a basketball player- similarly to Jeff, he's just missing something behind the wheel that he can't change from a solid, better than average NBA player to a top 35-40 NBA player.

I agree. Turner lacks the killer instincs and consistentcy to be a legit starter in this league. But maybe a diff environment will bring out the best of him. His jump shot needs work

Young is going to be a nice player. Could be more efficient, but comes through when you need someone to step up , deadly shooter and excellend rebounder for his height. Not like jeff green at all
I think Young is much more similar to green than u think except he's a poorer athlete with better shooting for his position out of college.
Green was a better shooter this past season if you compare nba vs college and green has a significant size advantage. Young has to guard NBA sf's and shoot over them.
Just like green he lacks any NBA level dribble breakdown ability and relies on fast breaks and  straight line drives and three point attempts.
He's basically a poor mans Jeff Green coming out of college who we are hoping can be smart enough to learn the shooting guard position.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He will if he performce at a high level. Danny is hoping for this and then to trade him if we r out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Young and turner likely the future at the sf spots
I dunno about Turner.
I'd say we'd be hoping Young somehow becomes Jeff Green 2.0, because that's his ceiling to me.
Turner however is just not that great a basketball player- similarly to Jeff, he's just missing something behind the wheel that he can't change from a solid, better than average NBA player to a top 35-40 NBA player.

I agree. Turner lacks the killer instincs and consistentcy to be a legit starter in this league. But maybe a diff environment will bring out the best of him. His jump shot needs work

Young is going to be a nice player. Could be more efficient, but comes through when you need someone to step up , deadly shooter and excellend rebounder for his height. Not like jeff green at all
I think Young is much more similar to green than u think except he's a poorer athlete with better shooting for his position out of college.
Green was a better shooter this past season if you compare nba vs college and green has a significant size advantage. Young has to guard NBA sf's and shoot over them.
Just like green he lacks any NBA level dribble breakdown ability and relies on fast breaks and  straight line drives and three point attempts.
He's basically a poor mans Jeff Green coming out of college who we are hoping can be smart enough to learn the shooting guard position.

Young adv over green

7" wingspan
Better mid range scorer
Better shooter
Better rebounder
Clutch performer

Green adv over young

Athleticism
6'9 height (but 6'10 wingspan)
Lateral quickness

Young will be better than green in a few years at the same age imo

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Turners defensive effort is there. Just is not physical enough usually. Jump shot issues imo is in his head.   His form is decent and is a very good at the ft line.
Turner is a 77% FT shooter which is somewhat below average for his position.

If the issues are all in his head, then he's not coming out of it. He's been a non-threatening shooter for four years at this point. The only expansion has been he's gotten passable at corner threes.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Young adv over green

7" wingspan
Better mid range scorer
Better shooter
Better rebounder
Clutch performer

How is it an advantage for Young to have a wingspan that is 1-2 inches shorter than Green's?  Also, please defend the claim that Young is a better shooter than Green.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
(Yawn)

Who cares, it isn't like he is Larry Bird or PP.  Jeff Green is a nice above average player on a bad team.  If he leaves it is not a gamebreaker.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think he opts out if he plays 90%+ of the games and averages 17+ PPG with above average defense. Either Danny, who values him, will re-up at a higher rate or he'll test free agency and land something bigger.

The only reasons why he wouldn't opt out are -- major injury / horrible season or he wants to wait for the new CBA, like BronBron.

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I dunno about Turner.

Young adv over green

7" wingspan
Better mid range scorer
Better shooter
Better rebounder
Clutch performer

Green adv over young

Athleticism
6'9 height (but 6'10 wingspan)
Lateral quickness

Young will be better than green in a few years at the same age imo

Jeff Green's wingspan was measured at the 2007 pre-draft combine to be 7' 1.25".

Unless Green's arms have bizarrely shrunk since then, you are only off by 3 inches.

Until Young has taken a shot in the NBA, you can't really say he's a better shooter or mid range scorer or clutch performer or anything like that.

'Not saying he won't be.  But college is college.  This is the NBA.

Let's give Young a chance to get healthy and play for a bit before we start assigning expectations to him.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Let's give Young a chance to get healthy and play for a bit before we start assigning expectations to him.

But if we do that, how will we be able to complain in four months when he hasn't reached our expectations already?

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff green was a poor/mediocre shooter out of college and had to work at his shot. He is decent today but still considered streaky

Young already has a very nice jump shot.  Nice form, quick release. A top 5 jump shooter out of hs. Last year in the 2nd half his shooting was very good. My point is , he is already ahead in the shooting department vs green and should only get better.

My bad on greens wingspan measurement. But man if his wingspan is 7.1(plus height, jumping ability) I cant believe even more how poor of a rebounder he is
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:03:56 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm almost positive he'll opt out.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Jeff green was a poor/mediocre shooter out of college and had to work at his shot. He is decent today but still considered streaky

Young already has a very nice jump shot.  Nice form, quick release. A top 5 jump shooter out of hs. Last year in the 2nd half his shooting was very good. My point is , he is already ahead in the shooting department vs green and should only get better.

My bad on greens wingspan measurement. But man if his wingspan is 7.1(plus height, jumping ability) I cant believe even more how poor of a rebounder he is

Rebounding has far more to do with where you are on the floor than it does with leaping or length.

Sullinger was by far our best rebounder last year, despite being neither long nor athletic.

Sullinger plays primarily down in the paint on both offense and defense.  Thus, he is in position to at least get _chances_ at rebounding.  Sully is also excellent at _grabbing_ his chances, but the latter skills would do him no good if he was constantly playing 18 feet out.

NBA's Player Tracking data provides useful data that tracks how well players rebound.  In particular, you can see how many chances they actually had as well as what percentage of those chances they grabbed -- and perhaps most telling, how well they grabbed them when contested (opponents also having a chance at the same rebound).

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingRebounding.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&filters=TeamAbbr*E*BOS

On our team, Sully was in position to grab a healthy 13.3 rebound chances per game, of which he grabbed 60.9% -- both numbers tops on the team.  (He also grabbed 45.8% of _contested_ rebound chances, which was one of the top numbers in the NBA).

Green was in position to grab a more modest 7.8 rebound chances (6th on the team) but he did grab 59.3% of those, which was behind only Sullinger and Bass among our forwards.

For whatever reason - whether it is his own way of playing or how his coaches use him, Green tends to be out on the perimeter a lot on defense and offense (and very rarely crashes the boards).  I don't expect he'll ever post high rebound numbers.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.