Author Topic: Pieces from a Fan - Profiling AZ  (Read 2321 times)

Pieces from a Fan - Profiling AZ
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I just posted my newest article over at Rhyme Junkie, this time I profile one of the all-time greats in AZ. I personally feel like he is one of the most underrated rappers to ever pick up a mic and certainly one of the best emcees to come out of New York.

Here's a snippet:

When AZ made his mainstream debut on "Life's a B****" off of Nas' Illmatic in 1994, nobody really knew who he was but the up-and-coming Brooklyn emcee left all listeners intrigued. Not only did AZ help propel the track into a universally renowned single, he stood as the only featured artist on Illmatic, which traveled through the ears of the world as hip hop?s inadvertent bible. Strapped with a unique voice, intelligence and a flow heavily influenced by Nas and Kool G Rap, AZ built a strong following quicker than most.

AZ's "Life's a B****" verse put him on the map and lead to a vibrant solo career that would exhibit one of the most underrated catalogs in hip hop history. In terms of flow, delivery, annunciation and lyricism, you could even call him "Nas-lite," but with his own flavor and an enrapturing voice that hasn't been mimicked. A lot of rappers front their vocabulary and try to make themselves sound good with a lot of words they don't even know the definition of, but AZ separates himself from that category with a flurry of cohesive bars that fit a great deal of information into a small box.

The Visualiza has been going strong for 20 years as one of the best lyricists of all-time and firmly holds his place as one of the elite rappers to come out of New York. AZ has put out eight studio albums in addition to his work with The Firm, and while his earlier records were more successful than his latest, each and every project is filled with excellence and AZ's signature style that keeps your head knocking.

AZ was quietly one of the best rappers to come out of the 90s era, and his first four albums highlight the prime of his immaculate body of work. There should be a picture of his face in the dictionary next to "underrated," and if you haven't taken the time to listen to his catalog, you have been severely missing out for a long, long time. AZ is the truth like Paul Pierce. If you?re behind, educate yo'self, fool, or forever deprive your ears from some rather unique greatness.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FULL ARTICLE HERE

All comments/feedback is very much appreciated.

What do you guys think of AZ? What are some of your favorite tracks?
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: Pieces from a Fan - Profiling AZ
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
You know you want to read and comment lol

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I just posted my newest article over at Rhyme Junkie, this time I profile one of the all-time greats in AZ. I personally feel like he is one of the most underrated rappers to ever pick up a mic and certainly one of the best emcees to come out of New York.

Here's a snippet:

When AZ made his mainstream debut on "Life's a B****" off of Nas' Illmatic in 1994, nobody really knew who he was but the up-and-coming Brooklyn emcee left all listeners intrigued. Not only did AZ help propel the track into a universally renowned single, he stood as the only featured artist on Illmatic, which traveled through the ears of the world as hip hop?s inadvertent bible. Strapped with a unique voice, intelligence and a flow heavily influenced by Nas and Kool G Rap, AZ built a strong following quicker than most.

AZ's "Life's a B****" verse put him on the map and lead to a vibrant solo career that would exhibit one of the most underrated catalogs in hip hop history. In terms of flow, delivery, annunciation and lyricism, you could even call him "Nas-lite," but with his own flavor and an enrapturing voice that hasn't been mimicked. A lot of rappers front their vocabulary and try to make themselves sound good with a lot of words they don't even know the definition of, but AZ separates himself from that category with a flurry of cohesive bars that fit a great deal of information into a small box.

The Visualiza has been going strong for 20 years as one of the best lyricists of all-time and firmly holds his place as one of the elite rappers to come out of New York. AZ has put out eight studio albums in addition to his work with The Firm, and while his earlier records were more successful than his latest, each and every project is filled with excellence and AZ's signature style that keeps your head knocking.

AZ was quietly one of the best rappers to come out of the 90s era, and his first four albums highlight the prime of his immaculate body of work. There should be a picture of his face in the dictionary next to "underrated," and if you haven't taken the time to listen to his catalog, you have been severely missing out for a long, long time. AZ is the truth like Paul Pierce. If you?re behind, educate yo'self, fool, or forever deprive your ears from some rather unique greatness.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FULL ARTICLE HERE

All comments/feedback is very much appreciated.

What do you guys think of AZ? What are some of your favorite tracks?
I think the influence that he gave to Eminem is one of the biggest services to Hip Hop of all time.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
That is true, when Eminem dropped Infinite A&Rs told him he sounded too much like Nas and AZ. Em eventually developed his own form of delivery and just took it to a completely different level. Nobody bends words like Em.