Poll

Is Paul Pierce One of there 1st or 2nd Option in Offense?

14-19ppg
11 (28.2%)
19-25ppg
2 (5.1%)
25-30+ppg
1 (2.6%)
10-15ppg
23 (59%)
6-10ppg
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: what is paul pierce PPG as wizards SF/PF playing with john wall  (Read 5079 times)

Re: what is paul pierce PPG as wizards SF/PF playing with john wall
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Everyone assumes he'll be on the court with the top 3 scorers from the Wiz.  He should be coming off the bench to help score with the 2nd unit, so that gives him a bump in scoring to me.  He gets to run a little with Wall, then help support the bench, so I'd say 10-15.  He'll still have some 20+ point nights, but I can also see some 5-8 point outings due to lack of shots.

He's the only realistic option for starting.  Webster's only good for offense and Porter's unproven.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I expect both Wall and Beal to crack 20 points a game next season. So I'd figure he'd be in the 8-12 ppg range.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Wizards shall prepare for Paul Pierce isos in the 4th quarter  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Around 16 PPG, so long as he's playing 33-34 minutes.  If he's playing 25-28 then closer to 14 ppg.

I don't think Wall will crack 20.  Beal definitely won't.  Both are very willing passers and the Wizards have too much of a varied attack.  No team can play Wall or Beal one on one, and no defense can handle Gortat or Nene down low without collapsing.  Pierce will be the only guy you can leave open (notice Ariza's career year).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
12-14 ppg

Wall leading scorer - 19 ppg
Beal as second leading scorer at 17-18 ppg

Pierce will be 3rd
no way he beats Gortat. In weak-east-center wise, he is a 20-10 guy
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Around 16 PPG, so long as he's playing 33-34 minutes.  If he's playing 25-28 then closer to 14 ppg.

I don't think Wall will crack 20.  Beal definitely won't.  Both are very willing passers and the Wizards have too much of a varied attack.  No team can play Wall or Beal one on one, and no defense can handle Gortat or Nene down low without collapsing.  Pierce will be the only guy you can leave open (notice Ariza's career year).
While I agree that Pierce will get open looks, I find your second paragraph confusing.

The Wizards weren't an offensive juggernaut last year, they were a little below average. Given they're bringing back largely the same core I don't see them improving much more than a slight bump as Wall/Beal improve.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
12-14 ppg

Pierce will be 3rd
Given that he was a 13.2 PPG and 9.5 RPG  "guy" last year in the east I don't think we'll see him come anywhere near 20/10 this coming year.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
figure about 12-14.  Wall, Beal and Nene will be the primary scorers.  PP will get a reduced number of shots with that team but thanks to teammates that are scoring threats, I think he'll be more efficient with his scoring
I think 10-14 is about right. Nene only got 14 PPG last year, basically the same as Gortat/Ariza. We'll probably see something similar with Pierce. Though I lean more towards the 10- 12 PPG because I don't believe Pierce can/should play as many minutes as Ariza.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
figure about 12-14.  Wall, Beal and Nene will be the primary scorers.  PP will get a reduced number of shots with that team but thanks to teammates that are scoring threats, I think he'll be more efficient with his scoring
I think 10-14 is about right. Nene only got 14 PPG last year, basically the same as Gortat/Ariza. We'll probably see something similar with Pierce. Though I lean more towards the 10- 12 PPG because I don't believe Pierce can/should play as many minutes as Ariza.

Agreed.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

While I agree that Pierce will get open looks, I find your second paragraph confusing.

The Wizards weren't an offensive juggernaut last year, they were a little below average. Given they're bringing back largely the same core I don't see them improving much more than a slight bump as Wall/Beal improve.
Which part confused you?  Each statement is pretty straight-forward and self-explanatory.

I did not call them an offensive juggernaut, I said they had a varied attack.  One second they are beating people on the perimeter with speed (which is why you have to help whenever Wall or Beal drives) and the next second they're lobbing it into the paint and playing an inside-out approach with plays that include significant big to big passing.  Then one the ugliest benches in the league (outside of Miller) comes in and screws it all up.

This style results in lots of ball movement and those touches keep guys in rhythm, which we know is huge for Pierce.  They don't have a single selfish player causing the ball to stick.  They were tied for 7th in APG despite being 18th in pace.  If they had a bench anywhere close to the Spurs they'd be right behind them.

Wall - 8.8 apg
Beal - 3.3 apg
Ariza - 2.5 apg
Nene - 2.9 apg
Gortat - 1.7 apg

Again, that's with the 18th quickest pace.  And then Miller off the bench with 3.5 in 15 minutes (same as Wall per-36).  No other teams have starting big men that average almost 5 assists.  For fun, how many teams in history can you name whose PG has 9 APG and two other starters have at least 3?  Tons of high pace teams in high pace eras to choose from.

I agree with you that there's no reason to think their offense will improve any, but I never made that claim either.  Pierce should fit in fine, he had the same number of assists as Ariza while playing 20% fewer minutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Expecting low end of 10-14 PPG. Maybe 11 or 12.

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i would say 9 or 10 per game

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm going with 15 points per game.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
12-14 ppg

Pierce will be 3rd
Given that he was a 13.2 PPG and 9.5 RPG  "guy" last year in the east I don't think we'll see him come anywhere near 20/10 this coming year.
i was over exaggerating a bit  :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Wall and Beal were, overall, pretty inefficient scorers last season. Both took poor shots, mainly long 2s. Wall was in the top 50 in players in points off pull up jumpers, and ranked 5th in total points, but ranked 50th in FG% via NBA.com/stats. Beal ranked 49th out of 50 in FG% out of all players who had taken at least 150 mid-range jumpers per Synergy, and he rarely got to the free throw line.

My point is, both were nearly bottom of the league bad when it came to shooting, except on 3s. And both were still borderline 20 point scorers. Even if Pierce takes shots away from either, their efficiency should rise enough to compensate. Beal attacked the basket and got to the line more in the Playoffs. Wall shot 40% last season on spot up 3s and he should be able to take more of those and less pull ups. I just think it's very likely Wall averages a point more and Beal 3.