Author Topic: How much would Bledsoe/Monroe cost?  (Read 3544 times)

How much would Bledsoe/Monroe cost?
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:09:46 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
If they could be had via sign and trade, could we get them for less than max?  What would that be?  13 mil per?  Would paying a younger Bledsoe be cheaper than extending Rondo?

Instead of trading Rondo to the Suns, trade him to a team that needs a PG a little more.  Trade him to Detroit for Monroe.  Then turn around and trade Bass/Bogans to Phoenix with a pic.  Give them our 2015 pick, which is the better of the 3 picks we have this year.  They get a one year rental on Bass, but other than that there is no salary obligation for them.  The first round pick at least salvages something for them in return for Bledsoe. 

Bledsoe. Smart
Bradley. Turner
Green. Young
Monroe.  Sullinger
Zeller.  Olynyk

Re: How much would Bledsoe/Monroe cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:12:32 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I thought both wanted to get paid

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't want Bledsoe with Smart here. I'd rather have either Rondo for a year or half a year, or in a trade bring in a vet with a short contract like Nash to teach Smart for a year and ease him into the season.

Unless Bledsoe sings a 2 year contract, no thanks, we may already have a future PG. And I don't think Bledsoe is going to do that.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If they could be had via sign and trade, could we get them for less than max?  What would that be?  13 mil per?  Would paying a younger Bledsoe be cheaper than extending Rondo?

Instead of trading Rondo to the Suns, trade him to a team that needs a PG a little more.  Trade him to Detroit for Monroe.  Then turn around and trade Bass/Bogans to Phoenix with a pic.  Give them our 2015 pick, which is the better of the 3 picks we have this year.  They get a one year rental on Bass, but other than that there is no salary obligation for them.  The first round pick at least salvages something for them in return for Bledsoe. 

Bledsoe. Smart
Bradley. Turner
Green. Young
Monroe.  Sullinger
Zeller.  Olynyk
I think that the Monroe for Rondo part sounds reasonable for both teams. I have a feeling that Phoenix would want something like Sullinger or Olynyk (probably Olynyk who fits their style of play better), Young, Bogans and our 2015 draft choice (if necessary, filler).

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Celts don't think they'll resign Rondo then I think you could do alot worse than trading him for Bledsoe.

I wouldn't even mind something like this (though I know it would have to wait til late August.)

Celts get Bledsoe, Tyler Ennis, Emeka Okafor (S/T) and 2015 TWolves pick
Suns get Rondo, Keith Bogans, Marcus Smart, 2015 Wizards 2nd rounder.

Rondo would fit in well with the Suns up-tempo offense.

I ONLY swap Smart with Ennis because I know Ennis' strength in college was scoring whereas Smart needs to work on his jump shot. Maybe the Suns go for Smart as he was a lottery pick.

Plus, just Rondo for Bledsoe would be too boring ;D

Also, Bledsoe played with Deandre Jordan in LA, didn't he?

Maybe that increases the Celts chances of landing Jordan in free agency next summer?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:22:19 AM by gpap »

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50

Bledsoe. Smart
Bradley. Turner
Green. Young
Monroe.  Sullinger
Zeller.  Olynyk
I think that the Monroe for Rondo part sounds reasonable for both teams. I have a feeling that Phoenix would want something like Sullinger or Olynyk (probably Olynyk who fits their style of play better), Young, Bogans and our 2015 draft choice (if necessary, filler).

Given the renewed Bledsoe discussion -

1. Trade Rondo for Monroe

2. Trade Bass/Bogans/(+ what?)  for Bledsoe?

Would our 2015 pick get it done.  Throw in Olynyk?  Young?

Bledsoe and Monroe got 12 mil offers but they want the max?   Maybe go 4 years 53.5 mil for Monroe and 5 years 69 mil for Bledsoe?  Can he sign for 5 years?  If not go 4 years 55 mil?

Losing Olynyk wouldnt be the end of the world.  We still would have Monore, Sullinger, Zeller.  Would need to sign a backup center for a 1-2 year deal.  Okafor or Udoh maybe?

Basically trading Rondo, Olynyk, and a pick for Bledose and Monroe.   Bass/Bogans just filler. 

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton

Bledsoe. Smart
Bradley. Turner
Green. Young
Monroe.  Sullinger
Zeller.  Olynyk

Bledsoe and Monroe got 12 mil offers but they want the max?   Maybe go 4 years 53.5 mil for Monroe and 5 years 69 mil for Bledsoe?  Can he sign for 5 years?  If not go 4 years 55 mil?

Losing Olynyk wouldnt be the end of the world.  We still would have Monore, Sullinger, Zeller.  Would need to sign a backup center for a 1-2 year deal.  Okafor or Udoh maybe?

Basically trading Rondo, Olynyk, and a pick for Bledose and Monroe.   Bass/Bogans just filler.
I think that the only difference between your two trades and my two trades is that I think you might have to add both Olynyk and Young with Bass, Bogans and our 2015 1st round pick to get Phoenix interested. According to what I read, both players could be signed for 5 year contracts by their own teams. Bledsoe's max is supposed to be 5 years and a total of $84 million and that's what he wants. If we did an s/t for that amount it might not be as outrageous as it first sounds since he can play either guard position. You could cover both guard positions with only three players (Smart, Bradley, and Bledsoe) playing approximately 32mpg, not unreasonable. After Thornton's contract expires and Bogans and Young are traded to Phoenix, any other guards on our roster would be close to minimum wage guys like Pressey. Our total guard tab would be under $30 million a year, again not unreasonable. As for Monroe, I read that he wants 4 years for $6o million. Again, because he gives you position versatility playing mostly the 4 but also the 5 for short stretches, you could justify that amount as Sullinger, Zeller and maybe Udoh, as you suggested, would all be on cheap contracts. After the 2015-2016, when Wallace and Green definitely come off our books, we would have only $50 million or so plus whatever we pay for any drafted rookies leaving us the ability to possibly trade for, s/t, or just sign another big time player. In the meantime, we would become a competitive team with a lot of young talent.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:52:10 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Bledsoe and Bradley backcourt is not needed when we have smart.

People don't want to pay rondo max but want to pay Bledsoe? Who has no playoff experience at all, and is no where near the passer rondo is. This blog is backwards.

Now on to monroe. Is Monroe a fine player. Yes, but is he the answer to make us any better then our team is right now? Honestly? No.
What would we have 5-7 more wins? We need an actual center. We are fine at PF and PG our shooting gaurd position is logged up. We need A legit Center and either Jeff green to breakout like I expect , Rondo to be rondo and Avery to step up.

Now if we really think Monroe can play center all season. I mean Rondo for Monroe a prospect and or a pick, I would consider.
I would do rondo for Drummond straight up.

If not I don't even want to hear about rondo being traded. He's a top point gaurd, our point gaurd position and PF positions are fine. We don't NEED an upgrade there. That's why Danny backed out of the love sweepstakes. He's not willing to give up the farm for a position that we really don't badly need. Now let's say Kevin Love was a legit 20-10 Center? I would see Danny offer 4 picks Sully and Prospects. He won't do that for that love though.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Bledsoe. Smart
Bradley. Turner
Green. Young
Monroe.  Sullinger
Zeller.  Olynyk

Jay,

There is no way the Suns make that trade.  That's not even 50 cents on the dollar value for him.  The Suns control his rights for a year and won't do that.  Plus there
s no way that either Monroe or Bledsoe would sign the deals you're talking about below when they can just sign the 1 year qualifying offer and become UFA's next year... 

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
Bledsoe and Bradley backcourt is not needed when we have smart.

People don't want to pay rondo max but want to pay Bledsoe? Who has no playoff experience at all, and is no where near the passer rondo is. This blog is backwards.

Now on to monroe. Is Monroe a fine player. Yes, but is he the answer to make us any better then our team is right now? Honestly? No.
What would we have 5-7 more wins? We need an actual center. We are fine at PF and PG our shooting gaurd position is logged up. We need A legit Center and either Jeff green to breakout like I expect , Rondo to be rondo and Avery to step up.

Now if we really think Monroe can play center all season. I mean Rondo for Monroe a prospect and or a pick, I would consider.
I would do rondo for Drummond straight up.

If not I don't even want to hear about rondo being traded. He's a top point gaurd, our point gaurd position and PF positions are fine. We don't NEED an upgrade there. That's why Danny backed out of the love sweepstakes. He's not willing to give up the farm for a position that we really don't badly need. Now let's say Kevin Love was a legit 20-10 Center? I would see Danny offer 4 picks Sully and Prospects. He won't do that for that love though.
Just a couple of comments on your post. Detroit would not trade Drummond for anyone or any combination of players on our roster. The only quality players that seem to possibly be available as we near the end of free agency are Bledsoe and Monroe. Love is now a dead issue. I wouldn't get too hungup at being overloaded at a particular position like power forward. The Celtics are in the asset accumulation period of their rebuild and if the two best players on our team turn out to be power forwards, that's really not a problem. We could always move Sullinger(along with filler) for a rim defender, say like Larry Sanders, for example. Another comment is that Rondo is 28 and Bledsoe and Monroe are 24. This is important if your signing players to long term contracts. If Love were coming here, then I would never trade Rondo. But he isn't and we are in full rebuild mode. To me, young talent seems the way to go.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you offered Sullinger, a Brooklyn first, and another first for one, and Olynyk, the other Brooklyn first, and another first for the other, that might not be enough to make a deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Love were coming here, then I would never trade Rondo. But he isn't and we are in full rebuild mode. To me, young talent seems the way to go.

I be patient and keep trying to add another star talent next to Rondo and only give up on that idea around the end of July 2015.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

I agree with this, but there's an alternative here that many don't want to consider: Josh Smith.

I think that we are good trade partners with Detroit.

Detroit WILL NOT keep both  Monroe AND Smith. That would be over $25 million tied up in one position. Smith/Monroe/Drummond does not work as was evidenced last year. There are thwo potential solutions here:

1. We can get Smith for a lot fewer assets than Monroe. I think that we could even dump Wallace's contract on Detroit and get Josh Smith. All this Van Gundy crap of wanting Smith around is a bunch of posturing crap. They would give him away if they could, and then they can pay Drummond. Having Wallace instead of Smith would save them over $20 million over the next 3 years.

Green/Wallace for Smith and filler works. That will leave us shorthanded at the 3, unless Turner can step right in, and further jams up the 4, but Smith becomes our rim protector. I think that a Zeller/KO/Sully/JSmith frontcourt is both versatile and impressive in relation to what we have know. Bass has to go, maybe even to Detroit as a backup to Monroe, with more filler coming back from Detroit to make the numbers work.

2. If Detroit decides to keep Smith, Rondo and either Bass for Monroe, Jennings and Pope should work for both sides. We're giving up the best player in the trade who gets to play with his buddy Josh and Detroit solves their frontcourt problem with Smith moving to his natural position, the 4, with Pope becoming the sweetener for us giving up the best player and swallowing Jennings. Bass is a veteran presence in a Detroit team prepared to play now.

Jennings/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Pope/Young/Thornton
Turner/Wallace/Young
Sully/KO
Monroe/Zeller/Fav

Very young team with a pretty bright future.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I just don't like Jennings wearing a Celtic uniform
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I just don't like Jennings wearing a Celtic uniform

Not totally thrilled about it either, but 2 years at $8mil, along with the talent of the low cost Pope and Smart's rookie deal make this more palatable for me.

A Smart/Bradley/Pope/Jennings/young backcourt is versatile and very young. If Jennings doesn't work out, he's an expiring next year.

I wouldn't mind the Cs swallowing him to get Pope and Monroe.