Author Topic: Maybe win the division? - Not bad for a bridge year!  (Read 11402 times)

Re: Maybe win the division? - Not bad for a bridge year!
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Here we go again with Jeff Green averaging 20 points a game predictions......

K

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:20 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I think there were some posts last year about him averaging 25 points... at least we're getting slightly more realistic.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Green isn't going to score 20ppg.  On the other hand, stick him in the starting lineup with a couple of All-Stars who can score 20+ ppg and Green will probably still find a way to score 14-16ppg.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:32 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Let's return this topic back to the original subject matter.

Chances the Celtics win the divison next year, with the current roster, is slim to none.

I'd imagine the C's front office is praying we do not contend for any playoff spot, let alone a divsion title.

If for some unknown reason, we happen to be playing .500 ball next season, Danny is going to trade our youngsters for proven veteran player(s) to help push our team's chances for winning the divsion.

If this move happens, fans will be upset that Danny traded away their binkies.

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
lol, people still clinging on to this hope of Jeff Green having untapped potential that will turn him into a 20 PPG scorer for the first time in his career when there's a month to go before he turns 28.

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:44 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
The Celtics will finish 4th in the division.  Philly is way better at tanking then we are.  Green will average 13ppg 3.5 reb and 2 assists.

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
While you guys take a dump at Jeff Green, let's take a look at the guard that took the Pistons to championship along with the help of his teammates:

Chauncey Billups (PPG/season)

97-98: 11.2 PPG
98-99: 13.9 PPG
99-00:   8.6 PPG
00-01:   9.3 PPG
01-02: 12.5 PPG
02-03: 16.2 PPG
03-04: 16.9 PPG
04-05: 16.5 PPG
05-06: 18.5 PPG
06-07: 17.0 PPG
07-08: 17.0 PPG
08-09: 17.7 PPG
09-10: 19.5 PPG
10-11: 16.8 PPG
11-12: 15.0 PPG

Looking at his 1999-2001 stats says that he will be nothing but a role player. He couldn't even hit 20 PPG yet, he was the best player in a championship team.

And yes, Jeff Green won't probably hit 20 PPG in his lifetime but let's also look at his stats:

Jeff Green PPG/season:

07-08: 10.5 PPG
08-09: 16.5 PPG
09-10: 15.1 PPG
10-11: 13.3 PPG
12-13: 12.8 PPG
13-14: 16.9 PPG

It took Billups 7 years to be recognized as a great player and 9 years to reach 18 PPG. I'm not saying Green will follow suit but I will never count that possibility out. The talks about a player will never reach his ceiling after 7 season is silly.

Overall, you don't need a player that scores 20 PPG. Paul Pierce in the late Big 3 stopped averaging 20 PPG after the 2008-2009 season and he was still the best scorer on the team. Jeff Green is our best scorer in team and I will believe that trend will continue until we finally find superstar scorer........ or he could claim that star role himself (wishful thinking. LOL)

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Chancey Billups had more fire in his little toe than Sleepy Jeff has in his whole body.  Poor comparison.  I could names thousands of guys that never snapped out of it and didn't improve.   Billups had a great team in DET too, something Snoozy doesn't have here.

Jeff Green is the best I ever seen at letting the game come to him.   Trouble is when it comes to him he only responds 1 out of 10 games.  Dude is so passive most of the time and it hurts his game.

Last year, we were devoid of talent and lost our only star in Rondo.  If he didn't do it then the odds are long he will do it this year.

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm comparing stats, not overall talent and mentality. 20 PPG seems far fetched so I choose a closer number. So you can't put talented players with Green?

Last year, Green was learning a new system. He put up more consistent numbers after the all-star break.

You could name guys that never snapped out it? Yeah right. More like killing every little hope you had. I was just trying to shed lights in this gloom and doom community and you just killed it.

One word: POSSIBILITY

Like I said, he could reach his ceiling like Chauncey did or maybe he couldn't. As long as there is a possibility even if it's 1%, there is nothing wrong to hope. Yes, we might suck but it's not like it's the end of the world. Next season will be a huge move forward with this team. Whether we trade players in this team as assets or build around them. They will get better.

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I will personally apologize if I'm wrong but I think a lot of you are selling this team short for this coming year but then again I have to remember that so many of you consider it a total loss unless the C's win it all.
in other words we either put up another banner or we tank and go for that ever elusive super star in the lottery!!!
how about we play a good second round but get knocked out in seven??? does that count for anything or does it have to be complete perfection or you're not going to waste your valuable time watching?
can you say, spoiled!!!

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
I'm comparing stats, not overall talent and mentality. 20 PPG seems far fetched so I choose a closer number. So you can't put talented players with Green?

Last year, Green was learning a new system. He put up more consistent numbers after the all-star break.

You could name guys that never snapped out it? Yeah right. More like killing every little hope you had. I was just trying to shed lights in this gloom and doom community and you just killed it.

Like I said, he could reach his ceiling like Chauncey did or maybe he couldn't. As long as there is a possibility even if it's 1%, there is nothing wrong to hope. Yes, we might suck but it's not like it's the end of the world. Next season will be a huge move forward with this team. Whether we trade players in this team as assets or build around them. They will get better.

Tommy point fr both posts brother. Everyone on this forum will all become Jeff Green bandwagoners and all of a sudden love this team when we start winning next year. I honestly think 90% of this blog doesn't watch basketball in depth. It's clear as day this team is going to be pretty good this year. I would say something along the lines of what the suns did last year but in the east, which will average out to a pretty darn good season.

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

Tommy point fr both posts brother. Everyone on this forum will all become Jeff Green bandwagoners and all of a sudden love this team when we start winning next year. I honestly think 90% of this blog doesn't watch basketball in depth. It's clear as day this team is going to be pretty good this year. I would say something along the lines of what the suns did last year but in the east, which will average out to a pretty darn good season.

All I can say is thank God you finally showed up to educate 90 percent of us on the finer things of basketball. This blog has just been aching for someone who knows something about the game..... ::)

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown

All I can say is thank God you finally showed up to educate 90 percent of us on the finer things of basketball. This blog has just been aching for someone who knows something about the game..... ::)

Mmk