Author Topic: Maybe win the division? - Not bad for a bridge year!  (Read 11401 times)

Maybe win the division? - Not bad for a bridge year!
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
So, other than Toronto, there are no Atlantic teams in serious playoff shape, and Toronto may be questionable.

Someone is going to win the division, and it won't be Philly, and the Knicks, Nets, and Raptors all have problems, too.

This could give us a decent matchup to claw into the 2nd round...

Not bad, and a great way to build value of the young fellas.

What thinkest thou?  Work toward the playoffs, riding Rondo/Bradley/Green/Committee

Re: Maybe win the division? - Not bad for a bridge year!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:20 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
this is what i've been trying to say. we might not be a great team but this division is a mess. the all-star point guard is back and every young player just got a year better. the Xfactor on this team is always Jeff Green. hopefully, Rondo provides a boost to his productivity.

last thought, did anyone even pick Toronto to win the division last year over NYC and Brooklyn?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If all teams have reasonable health, i would predict something like this:

Toronto 45+ wins
Brooklyn 40 wins
New York 35 wins
Boston 32 wins
Philadelphia 18 wins

The celtics have a shot if the season goes EXTREMELY well for them, and poorly for Toronto basically.

Toronto has a lot of talent and quality size compared to Boston.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well, we're not winning the division, so...

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:25:22 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/week/0

Take a look at the 2013 preseason power rankings. The Suns are projected 29th, behind superpowers as the Bucks, Utah and Orlando. The Knicks are 11th, Atlanta - 21st.

Are we the favorites? No. Do we have a chance? Hell, yes! Is it going to be fun? It depends on the perspective.

I will be rooting for the team to play hard, play smart and win as many games as possible. Half of our roster is 25 or younger. I will not ruin the enjoyment of watching the youngsters grow with pessimism. TP to the OP
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:50:45 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
As long as Danny and Brad give the go signal to go all out, we will make noise.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I've said numerous times every yr. there's teams that benefit from the east being so bad by making the playoffs, then the next season those same teams are at the bottom again. Toronto is imo that team this upcoming season.

sure "anything's possible"(KG told me so). but I think the knicks will be better and take the division.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If all teams have reasonable health, i would predict something like this:

Toronto 45+ wins
Brooklyn 40 wins
New York 35 wins
Boston 32 wins
Philadelphia 18 wins

The celtics have a shot if the season goes EXTREMELY well for them, and poorly for Toronto basically.

Toronto has a lot of talent and quality size compared to Boston.

This looks right on with my guess as to the seasons outcome.....bar any critical injuries and major trades .

I'm confident the Celtics will play hard .  Rondo, Wallace, Smart , Avery all are not slackers ....and should make 90 % of the game close affairs.

But I predict the Celtics will lose ...stink up the court ...go cold ...fall apart.... the great majority of their games again in the last 8 minutes , throwing away 20 point leads nearly every game .  There energy and youth will propel them early in each game.

Then the elite players on the  opponent team  will increase their efforts , catch the Celtics and win at the buzzer .

GIVING US ANOTHER TOP FIVE LOTTRY PICK.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish, I could play some of the guys here at cards.  Winning the division, LOL, it would be like taking candy from a baby.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'd put both Brooklyn and Toronto in the 45 win range and New York in the 40 win range, well above the 25 or so I'd predict for Boston.  I just don't see Boston as presently constructed even coming close to the division title. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, I don't think we make the playoffs -- which is what winning the division would entail.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
C's aren't winning the division.  C's will likely have one of the 5 worst records in the league barring a surprise breakout from at least 2 members of the youth movement.

only team I expect them to finish better than in the league, never mind the division, is Philly.  I think everyone in the league that had a record similar to theirs improved enough with the draft and free agency to remain better than the C's or pass them in the case of Milwaukee (and quite possibly Orlando and Utah).

If C's win 30 games I'd be stunned.  I think they'll maybe win 26 if lucky and that's with a healthy roster.  C's just don't have a starting-quality center nor a player than they can go to for points down the stretch.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love this topic. BK has old JJ, brittle Deron & Lopez, washed out KG & AK47 and a couple semi interesting int'l guys like Teletovic. Implosion potential.

Knicks will be better but not a contender (aka beatable).

Toronto (gotta love 'em) is frisky but also not a true contender.

Philly, young frisky and incomplete.

The Celts could compete with all these team last year and will be better suited to do so this year. Rondo could be the best PG in the division. Jeff could be right there with any 3 not named Melo. Are there really any other stars to fear? DeRozan? Seems wide open to me.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Win the division????  C's are going to have a real shot at the number 1 pick next year if the roster stays the same....

You can make the case that every team in the western conference is better than the C's and the only team that is worse than them in the East is Philly....Bucks, Orlando are in the conversation but I would rather have the Bucks roster....

C's win total will be in the 20's again and hopefully they can land a high pick again next year and deal Rondo at some point...

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Well, Toronto isn't falling off.

They have a young solid core that can consistently win games against a weak East. I don't know if the Celtics can do that.

Its tough to predict the Celtics... If everything goes insanely well, as in Green and Rondo play for huge contracts, Sully makes a big leap, Smart and Bradley both makes strides as well..

That's asking a lot tho. This team could win 40 games but it could also win 20. imo 20 is a closer guess