Author Topic: Would Brooklyn make this deal with the Celts?  (Read 5155 times)

Would Brooklyn make this deal with the Celts?
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Jeff Green, Brandon Bass and a future pick for Brook Lopez?

With the emergence of Mason Plumlee and the option of re-signing Blatche & Collins, would Brooklyn be willing to give up Brook Lopez to the Celts?

I think it kinda works for both teams because Brooklyn moves on from the injury prone Lopez and becomes a bit more of an up-tempo team (emphasis on A BIT as I know DWill, JJ and KG are still on the team.)

For the Celts, they take a chance on a legit double/double guy who, if he stays healthy, helps make the Celts a playoff team

PG-Rondo/Smart
SG-Bradley/Thornton/Young
SF-Turner/Wallace
PF-Sullinger/Olynyk
C-Lopez/Zeller

I think Lopez is a guy that if he pans out, he becomes a BIG part of the team going forward with Rondo.

Re: Would Brooklyn make this deal with the Celts?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I m not sure that Nets are willing to give up on Lopez yet.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Really?

You could be right.

It's too bad though.

This could've been a good risk for the Celts.

Lopez is only under contract for a couple more years so it's not like you're hamstrung to him for too long if he doesn't pan out.

If he does pan out, it increases Rondo's chances of sticking around and then we'll just need that 3rd missing piece.

Maybe next summer Love looks at the Celts with Lopez and says "hmmmmmm"

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Lopez has too many foot problems..past
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't think this trade works for either team.  The Nets are in win now mode and need Lopez to have a healthy season.  Green and Bass aren't talented enough to help the Nets accomplish that.  The Celtics are rebuilding and Lopez is too much of a risk considering his contract.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I like that deal for both teams.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I don't think this trade works for either team.  The Nets are in win now mode and need Lopez to have a healthy season.  Green and Bass aren't talented enough to help the Nets accomplish that.  The Celtics are rebuilding and Lopez is too much of a risk considering his contract.

I think I've state this before, but I don't think it's such a black and white issue has "win now" mode for Brooklyn and "rebuilding" for the Celts.

I've got to think Ainge is looking at deals that both for the short and long-term.

Also, I've also got to think that keeping Rondo for the long-term is one of his goals.

Otherwise he would've already dealt him or maybe he will deal him later this summer or mid-season.

As for the Nets, yes they are in win-now mode. However, Lopez has now gone through two season ending injuries on their watch.

Not to mention, I think if they deal Lopez maybe it puts them in the conversation for another center next summer (the other Lopez or maybe even Gasol. Don't forget about the Lionel Hollins/Gasol connection from Memphis.)

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Really?

You could be right.

It's too bad though.

Lopez is only under contract for a couple more years so it's not like you're hamstrung to him for too long if he doesn't pan out.

If he does pan out, it increases Rondo's chances of sticking around and then we'll just need that 3rd missing piece.

I'm not against the trade  ,  it might be worth the risk.......I was only thinking the Nets like every other team, are extremely reluctant to give up a center it seems...centers with skills are at a premium .

Good thinking though

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Really?

You could be right.

It's too bad though.

I'm not against the trade  ,  it might be worth the risk.......I was only thinking the Nets like every other team, are extremely reluctant to give up a center it seems...centers with skills are at a premium .

Good thinking though

Yup, talented and productive centers are a very rare breed in the association.

I guess maybe it would depend on whether Billy King thinks Plumlee and a resigned Blatche (IF he resigns him) can pick up the slack post-Lopez at the 5.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Despite how big of a homer I'll sound like, I want to see a KG/Wallace swap. Even if we have to add picks.

Gives us cap space next offseason and a great big man coach/veteran center. (Who our whole organization loves)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Nets aren't re-signing Blatche (much of the front office seems to have soured on him) and they're probably not bringing Collins back.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We'd need to send them a bit more I think. Probably Zeller and one of their own first round picks.
ie:
Green+Bass+Nets 2016 first rounder+Zeller

Good idea though but I doubt they've given up on him just yet.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
We'd need to send them a bit more I think. Probably Zeller and one of their own first round picks.
ie:
Green+Bass+Nets 2016 first rounder+Zeller

Good idea though but I doubt they've given up on him just yet.

I'd hold on to Zeller. Swap him with Bogans expiring and Babb's and CJ's unguaranteed contracts
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I think a trade like this would have been more likely had Kidd still been the coach, but nonetheless it's still possible. I actually think this trade works out the best for Jeff Green -- Brooklyn already has their #1 scoring option in Joe Johnson and the jury is still out on Deron Williams at this point in his career. Green could naturally slide back into his comfortable #2/#3 option on that team. Bass would be a solid option at forward for them as well. I'm not so sure Mason Plumlee is ready to step in and be a starting center in this league yet. He had some promising moments last season but still has a ways to go.

Danny loves taking chances and Lopez would be a huge risk. But I think if you have the chance to take a 7 footer who can score 21 ppg, despite his injury baggage, you take it.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:49 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Danny loves taking chances and Lopez would be a huge risk. But I think if you have the chance to take a 7 footer who can score 21 ppg, despite his injury baggage, you take it.

Raef LaFrentz    Part II