Author Topic: proposed blockbuster Suns trade featuring Rondo, Bledsoe  (Read 8633 times)

proposed blockbuster Suns trade featuring Rondo, Bledsoe
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Report is that Bledsoe wants the max and Suns don't want to give it to him. I like Bledsoe enough to think he's worth it, and I'm also very high on some of the Suns' other expendable pieces.
-Alex Len could be our long-term solution at center. Excellent size, length, mobility, legit 2-way potential. Didn't get much of a chance last year, and now the Suns have acquired Miles Plumlee, making Len expendable.
-TJ Warren showed the goods in SL. Could be steal of the draft at #14. Read Dean Demakis's rave: http://deanondraft.com/2014/07/20/tj-warren-operates-with-surgical-precision/. Obviously Pheonix would like to keep him, but they also are on the verge of being legit in the tough West, and Rondo can put them over the edge.

The Suns also have a big hole at PF. I'm proposing Rondo and Sully (or KO) for Bledsoe S&T, Len and TJ.

I think this is a very fair trade. After just missing the playoffs last year, Suns propel themselves into position to not only make the playoffs but land the #4 or 5 seed and advance to round 2 (Spurs, Clips and OKC will likely crush the bottom 3 seeds). They give up a guy that they risk losing for nothing if another team offers the max, plus two players who aren't ready to contribute. They can easily re-sign Rondo since they are way under the luxury tax line.

The Celtics get three exciting young players, all of whom are real building blocks. Bledsoe is a combo guard who can play next to Smart; he's a bit short, but his 6'7.5 wingspan is adequate. With a couple years of development, we'll be looking at a really talented young core:

Guard: Smart, Bledsoe, AB
SF: TJ, Young
PF: Olynyk
C: Len, Zeller

I'd assume that we'll trade Green, Bass, and hopefully Evan "Bust" Turner. I think this is a core that can be a perennial spoiler in the playoffs, one piece away from being a legit contender.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:34:41 PM by loco_91 »

Re: blockbuster Suns trade featuring Rondo, Bledsoe
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Don't think the Suns would. Rondo wouldn't be as good a fit as Bledsoe is playing alongside Dragic for his weakness playing off the ball and shooting.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If we are deciding to give one of these two guys a max contract I am definitely keeping Rondo and giving it to him as opposed to trading for and giving it to Bledsoe.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
If we are deciding to give one of these two guys a max contract I am definitely keeping Rondo and giving it to him as opposed to trading for and giving it to Bledsoe.

Rondo's max is much more than Bledsoe's max. I think Rondo at $19m and Bledsoe at $12m provide similar value. But even if Bledsoe doesn't turn out to be worth it, I still like this deal if TJ and Len are as good as expected.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Why would the suns do this? Not to mention throwing in a promising first year player and a top 5 pick who should be healthy enough to contribute to a developing team.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think we are going to pay a PG max and have him end up on the bench if Smart pans out.

A Bleadsoe/AB back court would be tiny as heck.

I'd rather get LA involved and send

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

This would give us a PG to start the season out and teach Smart how to play the game.

PHX gets a PG and PF that gets them into the playoffs.

LA gets a good PG that can help Kobe score and a more excelled young PF to play behind Boozer.

If we can some how work in Green and get Warren and filler that would be nice as well.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
How exactly does Rondo make the Suns a 4 seed? I just don't see it. They'd still be behind teams like Portland, Golden State, Houston (possibly Dallas and Memphis) in addition to the 3 teams the OP mentioned. Rondo is not LeBron, he can't single-handedly put a team over the top.

Phoenix says no
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Someone please change the subject.

And phx might do this trade. Not sure danny though will want to give bledsoe 15 mill a year

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think we are going to pay a PG max and have him end up on the bench if Smart pans out.

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

This would give us a PG to start the season out and teach Smart how to play the game.

LA gets a good PG that can help Kobe score and a more excelled young PF to play behind Boozer.

If we can some how work in Green and get Warren and filler that would be nice as well.

So we are trading Rondo, Sully, and Bass for Randle? Yikes, that seems like an awful lot for a player we could have taken in the draft ourselves.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

So we are trading Rondo, Sully, and Bass for Randle? Yikes, that seems like an awful lot for a player we could have taken in the draft ourselves.

Celtics bloggers don't think anything through these days.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

certainly not when it comes to shipping out Rondo anyways

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

You need to subtract Sully from the deal and add Warren to Nash and Randle for me to even consider something like this. This would make us overloaded at both the 3 and 4 but would create assets that could possibly be moved to get a rim defender. Say Green and Sullinger to Milwaukee for Sanders as a possibility if you want to gamble on a player with issues.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Rondo/Bass to Pheonix.

Sully/Bledsoe to LA

Nash/Randle to Boston

Rondo could be out of town if DA doesn't want to pay him the max. Bledsoe make no sense with Smart already here.

Nash would be a better teacher than Rondo. Better all around game on the offensive player, and I think would fit into Stevens system. So he would be teaching Smart how to play with in that system, and would have a year to acclimate to the NBA while Nash runs the team(if he stays healthy). Nash could be used in a S&T next summer for pics and fodder to a contender for playing a long.

Sully if he can't get his weight under control will be out of the league in a few years or at best at the end of benchs. Moving Sully and Bass opens more playing time for Randle(DA didn't draft him with 3 PF's on the books) and KO. And Randle could be a better trade asset than Sully in the near future just from were he was drafted and potential.

Remember DA almost sent Rondo out for McLamore and the 8th. Nash's teaching ability to Smart could be worth way more than that in the long run. Sully and Randle could be a wash. Plus most likely we'd get some picks.

While not the best haul, you look around the league and see who needs a PG and has something to give up.

Indy-no real good assest out side of Hibbert
Suns- don't really need a PG with Thomas
LA-no real assets.
Detroit- Monroe, but not likely
Kings-No assest
Dallas-no assest
Denver-Lawson, but again we have Smart
Huston-No assets

Most other teams have young or serviceable PG's that they don't need to upgrade to a max contract.

So it's thought out. Just didn't think I had to go into huge detail.

Bottom line is we aren't going to get much from teams for Rondo with his contract expiring next summer. So Rondo the shinny part of the bait with and other player to snag a younger prospect. 

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
How exactly does Rondo make the Suns a 4 seed? I just don't see it. They'd still be behind teams like Portland, Golden State, Houston (possibly Dallas and Memphis) in addition to the 3 teams the OP mentioned. Rondo is not LeBron, he can't single-handedly put a team over the top.

Phoenix says no

Suns are already close to Portland GS and Houston. 4th seed is their best-case scenario. They could easily end up as the 7th seed too, but this trade puts them on the same level as those three imo.

Rondo is a polarizing player and I don't know if the suns' GM  is enamored. If he is, I imagine he'd do it.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Report is that Bledsoe wants the max and Suns don't want to give it to him. I like Bledsoe enough to think he's worth it, and I'm also very high on some of the Suns' other expendable pieces.
-Alex Len could be our long-term solution at center. Excellent size, length, mobility, legit 2-way potential. Didn't get much of a chance last year, and now the Suns have acquired Miles Plumlee, making Len expendable.
-TJ Warren showed the goods in SL. Could be steal of the draft at #14. Read Dean Demakis's rave: http://deanondraft.com/2014/07/20/tj-warren-operates-with-surgical-precision/. Obviously Pheonix would like to keep him, but they also are on the verge of being legit in the tough West, and Rondo can put them over the edge.

The Suns also have a big hole at PF. I'm proposing Rondo and Sully (or KO) for Bledsoe S&T, Len and TJ.

I think this is a very fair trade. After just missing the playoffs last year, Suns propel themselves into position to not only make the playoffs but land the #4 or 5 seed and advance to round 2 (Spurs, Clips and OKC will likely crush the bottom 3 seeds). They give up a guy that they risk losing for nothing if another team offers the max, plus two players who aren't ready to contribute. They can easily re-sign Rondo since they are way under the luxury tax line.

The Celtics get three exciting young players, all of whom are real building blocks. Bledsoe is a combo guard who can play next to Smart; he's a bit short, but his 6'7.5 wingspan is adequate. With a couple years of development, we'll be looking at a really talented young core:

Guard: Smart, Bledsoe, AB
SF: TJ, Young
PF: Olynyk
C: Len, Zeller

I'd assume that we'll trade Green, Bass, and hopefully Evan "Bust" Turner. I think this is a core that can be a perennial spoiler in the playoffs, one piece away from being a legit contender.
I think that from our point of view this is a fair talent exchange. I think Olynyk fits their style of play better than does Sullinger.  I'm just afraid that from Phoenix's view, because of Warren's SL play, that they might be scared of trading away a possible star in the making, however realistic or unrealistic that idea may be. I think they say no.