Author Topic: Don't Blame Jeff Green.  (Read 7421 times)

Re: Don't Blame Jeff Green.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No he is not a bargain, hes being payed starter money. He is an average starting player being paid average starting money.Now if we had him signed for 5M that'd be a bargain.

According to these numbers, from here: http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/year/2014/seasontype/4

For the 2013-14 NBA Season, the top 100 paid players salary contracts totaled $1,164,633,315, wow!

Of those top 100, that's an average of $11,646,333.15 per player for the '13-'14 NBA season.

According to the data from the same link, last season the average salary for the top paid "wing" player was $11,724,320.77. (35 players playing SG or SF from that list of 100)

What about the wing position and PF spot, since Jeff has played all 3 positions for us and throughout his career. From the same list: $11,802,140.17 average salary for last year (58 players who played either the 2, 3, or 4 spot).

I'm pretty comfortable paying Jeff his 8.7-9.4 million per season, cheaper than the average 11.6, 11.7, or 11.8 mill the other guys are getting.

If you want to pay Jeff the 5 million (MLE was 5.1mill last year), that is not just a bargain, but highway robbery.

Thank you. TP No. 300 for you.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
^^^^ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D^^^^

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Nice analysis. He is underpaid compared to the deals shelled out this summer. He'll get at least $12m per in his next deal, I'd guess, provided he has a solid year (at least slightly more efficient offense and good defense). He'll be good another 5 years. I'm happy having him as a key piece here.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Uncle Jeff should at least make a conscious effort every game to be the best he can be; He sometimes is overly passive and acts weak on the court; Maybe its a psychological thing on his part, and he should at least seek help or consult someone;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I am hoping for a much improved Jeff Green this year. He has the tools, maybe someone needs to slap him before each game to get him angry. But knowing Jeff he may just turn the other cheek.........
He has the physical tools as far as his body and athleticism but he doesn't have great skills and never will.  He can hit a jumpshot adequately, and is very good in a straight line to the rim if he doesn't have to dribble more than twice.  That's his entire offensive skillset.  No ballhandling, no creativity, no passing, no rebounding.  A little above average defensively.  I don't see much to get excited about.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Uncle Jeff should at least make a conscious effort every game to be the best he can be; He sometimes is overly passive and acts weak on the court; Maybe its a psychological thing on his part, and he should at least seek help or consult someone;

Maybe, throughout his career, Jeff didn't need to be "the best player" on the court. Maybe he got used to being "just one of the guys" (along for the ride).

Maybe, psychologically, he needs to build on it, build on being the #1 option. If that's something he doesn't want, it will be a lot harder to achieve.

If Jeff continues to want to be viewed as the unselfish teammate, just one of the teammates fullfilling his role, he's not only doing a diservice to his career, but to our own franchise as well.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Maybe, throughout his career, Jeff didn't need to be "the best player" on the court. Maybe he got used to being "just one of the guys" (along for the ride).

Maybe, psychologically, he needs to build on it, build on being the #1 option. If that's something he doesn't want, it will be a lot harder to achieve.

If Jeff continues to want to be viewed as the unselfish teammate, just one of the teammates fullfilling his role, he's not only doing a diservice to his career, but to our own franchise as well.

I don't buy that. Almost all of these players have been the best since they were 10 years old. He was likely the best player on his HS team, and one of the top players in college. So if he doesn't have the mindset to assert himself that is a Jeff Green problem, and one reason I hated when we traded for him and hated it even more when we gave him a multi-year deal when coming back from heart surgery. I'm surprised people are still defending him, he isn't getting any better, he is what he is.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I am hoping for a much improved Jeff Green this year. He has the tools, maybe someone needs to slap him before each game to get him angry. But knowing Jeff he may just turn the other cheek.........
He has the physical tools as far as his body and athleticism but he doesn't have great skills and never will.  He can hit a jumpshot adequately, and is very good in a straight line to the rim if he doesn't have to dribble more than twice.  That's his entire offensive skillset.  No ballhandling, no creativity, no passing, no rebounding.  A little above average defensively.  I don't see much to get excited about.

Objectively, the statistical data says the contrary.

Paul Pierce's career TRB% for the Boston Celtics was 9.7%

Jeff Green's career TRB% as a Celtics is 8.1%, but for the Sonics/Thunder, it was 9.5%

A lot Celtic fans view Pierce as a good rebounder, & view Green as an average to below average rebounder. And Jeff Green the Celtic, his rebounding can certainly use work.

Many like look at RPG (rebounds per game).

Pierce's rpg as a Celtic was 6.0, where as JGreen's rpg as a Thunder/Sonic was 5.8, BUT, people also need to look at MPG for each player too.

One player's (PP) MPG was nearly 37 min. JGreen's MPG for the Thunder/Sonic was 34.5 min.

Would we like to see Jeff Green get more boards, no question about it. To say Jeff gets zero rebounds is far from the facts.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't blame Green, I do not think he is the savior either.  Nice complimentary player.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:09:11 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I call Jeff Green, Mr. October.

Because he plays every game like it is preseason.

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
It's almost frustrating coming to the forums every day with new threads about trading rondo and Jeff green being a bum. I don't get it the first 2/3 of the season we had Crawford playing point and playing selfishly. Almost every night I would scream for them to force feed Jeff the ball. He was very efficient last year scoring about 20 while only taking about 14 shots per game and you could see the offense run through him more with rondo at point so I'm not worried about him this year with a full year of rondo at point and another year in BS system. He's much more efficient than parsons/Hayward and getting paid way less so I don't see what the big fuss is about here in celtics land.. it's as if you all didn't watch any games but instead looked at the box score everyday and had to pick sum1 to blame for the losses
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Jeff Green as a player on the Celtics and I think he has very good value at his current contract.  I think people who are down on him are comparing his past production with a perception of what his potential should be.  I understand that.  It does seem like Green should be better but I don't think there are all that many players other than Rookie contracts, that are better at $9M.

Anderson Varejao $9,704,545
Steve Nash $9,701,000
Kendrick Perkins $9,654,342
Demar DeRozan $9,500,000
Paul Millsap $9,500,000
Tiago Splitter $9,250,000
Jeff Green $9,200,000
Thaddeus Young $9,160,869
Evan Turner $8,717,226 (?)
Mike Conley Jr $8,694,216
Marcus Thornton $8,575,000
Ryan Anderson $8,491,500

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz38j1yTgur
http://www.draftexpress.com

I grabbed these from Draft Express and not sure how accurate Jeff Green is certainly not out of range with these other players with a similar salary.

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I call Jeff Green, Mr. October.

Because he plays every game like it is preseason.

That's nice. Very nice. TP.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The whole, "But Jeff Green doesn't make a crapton of money. His contract is like 80% reasonable" counter argument seems to miss the point for me. The argument, for me at least, is not "Can Jeff Green justify his contract and roster spot?"

Jeff Green is a NBA caliber athlete and player in his prime. With an appropriate supporting cast (on of which he is not a top 3 or hopefully 4 player) I don't doubt that Green could play a role as a capable starting forward.

And at 9 million a season, that's legitimate, especially considering the way starting caliber athletes are paid.

But the real question for me is "Should we hold on to Jeff Green, knowing he isn't a franchise caliber player, who is paid like an elite role player (a term I'm trying to insert into our vernacular) when his presence won't move the needle very far in terms of wins or losses?"

The real question is should we move him for assets we could actually use when/if we want to trade them in for something better while developing our own young players, or should we keep him in the hopes that if we turn it around and right the ship, he'll be a viable starter and not on an untenable contract?

I think that turn around is more than 1 season away. I think the writing is on the wall there. Why not move Jeff Green if we can get something out it?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I like Jeff Green as a player on the Celtics and I think he has very good value at his current contract.  I think people who are down on him are comparing his past production with a perception of what his potential should be.  I understand that.  It does seem like Green should be better but I don't think there are all that many players other than Rookie contracts, that are better at $9M.

Anderson Varejao $9,704,545
Steve Nash $9,701,000
Kendrick Perkins $9,654,342
Demar DeRozan $9,500,000
Paul Millsap $9,500,000
Tiago Splitter $9,250,000
Jeff Green $9,200,000
Thaddeus Young $9,160,869
Evan Turner $8,717,226 (?)
Mike Conley Jr $8,694,216
Marcus Thornton $8,575,000
Ryan Anderson $8,491,500

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz38j1yTgur
http://www.draftexpress.com

I grabbed these from Draft Express and not sure how accurate Jeff Green is certainly not out of range with these other players with a similar salary.

I would take almost all those guys over Green except for Nash, Perkins and Thornton. 

Here's what I don't get with those who say Green is worth his contract.  9 million is an above average salary.  It should't be too much to expect above average production in some aspect of the game for 9 million.  Well, Green doesn't provide it at all.  His scoring is inefficient.  His passing and rebounding are well below-average.  His long range shooting is just okay.  His individual defense is erratic and his team defense is below-average.