Author Topic: Don't Blame Jeff Green.  (Read 7428 times)

Don't Blame Jeff Green.
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Jeff Green is a stud. 2 years ago he came  back from a very serious heart condition. He battled and then became one of there best players toward the end of that year.
Last year he played with a bunch of young guys, couple of scrubs and  anew coach. His focus was working within a system, that was changed half way through the season when Rondo came back.

Jeff Green is a great player and should be given the benefit of the doubt.
If the Celtics keep a regular consistent rotation, Green will show his value.

Re: Don't Blame Jeff Green.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Jeff Green is a stud. 2 years ago he came  back from a very serious heart condition. He battled and then became one of there best players toward the end of that year.
Last year he played with a bunch of young guys, couple of scrubs and  anew coach. His focus was working within a system, that was changed half way through the season when Rondo came back.

Jeff Green is a great player and should be given the benefit of the doubt.
If the Celtics keep a regular consistent rotation, Green will show his value.

Especially in Levi's jeans.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If guys like Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are worth the max, like they got this summer, then Jeff Green is a steal. He is just as good or better than those guys, and all fans on here do is dump on him because he's not Paul Pierce and because we traded Perk for him.

BTW, how's Perk doing nowadays?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't dump on him for those reasons. I dump on him because of the wasted talent, he should be a lot better than he is and it's no one's fault but his own.

though I do think we could do things to trick him into being better. like getting the ball to him early and often, force feed him the ball, look for him on inbounds plays after a basket is scored and rebounds. if he got the ball on a break or on an inbounds play after the other team scores he could do some damage with less defenders back.

we've seen green have good games when this stuff happens. why not make a concerted effort to do it consistently. rondo doesn't have to bring the ball up every play.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Hooray for Uncle Snooze Button. We have him at a bargain price. Hooray.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

My answer/thought every time someone brings up the trade or Jeff Green grief. If Perk helped them win a title, I'd say maybe.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I am hoping for a much improved Jeff Green this year. He has the tools, maybe someone needs to slap him before each game to get him angry. But knowing Jeff he may just turn the other cheek.........

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Jeff is actually a very good player, but his inconsistency as far as even attempting to score some games really bothers me. For that Jeff is the only one to blame.

That being said I have hope that he can slightly increase his percentages while taking a similar amount of shots and end up with a career high in points.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
I think the only thing that separates him from being a true number 1 option in this league is a killer mentality.
He has the body, the shooting knack, the athleticism, the handles. He could average 20/8 easily if he sorted some things out. He should try and be the man, not just work under the system.

He is a special guy and shouldn't go to waste.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If guys like Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are worth the max, like they got this summer, then Jeff Green is a steal. He is just as good or better than those guys, and all fans on here do is dump on him because he's not Paul Pierce and because we traded Perk for him.

People who complain about Jeff Green's frustrating tendencies seem to conveniently forget Perk's frustrating tendencies: the slow gather, the moving screens, the stone hands. All players have flaws, even LeBron. And at ~$9M, Green is a bargain.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

People who complain about Jeff Green's frustrating tendencies seem to conveniently forget Perk's frustrating tendencies: the slow gather, the moving screens, the stone hands. All players have flaws, even LeBron. And at ~$9M, Green is a bargain.

No he is not a bargain, hes being payed starter money. He is an average starting player being paid average starting money.Now if we had him signed for 5M that'd be a bargain.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I wonder sometimes if Jeff worries about that operation or if the doctors have taken the time to ask him if anything bothers him from time to time during the games because he's like there one minute and then he like disappears. I just believe he has way more talent than what he shows most of the time. and the bottom line is the Celtics can not excel if Jeff's a starter and doesn't improve his game.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Jeff "The Ghost" Green
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think Jeff Green would be great on a team like Minny. They have no legit small forward and they need some 3 point shooting bc Rubio. Idk how much more Kevin Martin has left in the tank, but since he got 19ppg last year I don't think he will drop off that much. If I was Saunders and wanted to compete this season AND keep Kevin Love I'd go for Jeff Green.

Rubio
Martin
Jeff Green
Kevin Love
Pecovic

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
No he is not a bargain, hes being payed starter money. He is an average starting player being paid average starting money.Now if we had him signed for 5M that'd be a bargain.

According to these numbers, from here: http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/year/2014/seasontype/4

For the 2013-14 NBA Season, the top 100 paid players salary contracts totaled $1,164,633,315, wow!

Of those top 100, that's an average of $11,646,333.15 per player for the '13-'14 NBA season.

According to the data from the same link, last season the average salary for the top paid "wing" player was $11,724,320.77. (35 players playing SG or SF from that list of 100)

What about the wing position and PF spot, since Jeff has played all 3 positions for us and throughout his career. From the same list: $11,802,140.17 average salary for last year (58 players who played either the 2, 3, or 4 spot).

I'm pretty comfortable paying Jeff his 8.7-9.4 million per season, cheaper than the average 11.6, 11.7, or 11.8 mill the other guys are getting.

If you want to pay Jeff the 5 million (MLE was 5.1mill last year), that is not just a bargain, but highway robbery.