Author Topic: Over-Under triple doubles by Rajon Rondo against the Boston Celtics  (Read 3962 times)

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

This question comes from an intense nba-boring-season debate leading to a friendly bet between myself and my very good season-ticket-wielding friend. We're setting the over/under at 1.5. The stakes are, uncreatively, actual steaks.

I'm afraid that I had to take the over. Victory will be bittersweet.

Re: Over-Under triple doubles by Rajon Rondo against the Boston Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Its his Contract season, and questions will arise whether or not hes a max player. I think Rondo will at least average 3-4 triple doubles, if anything, to build up his value in FA/Ainge.

I know I'm being crazy, but I can see Rondo averaging 6 triple doubles in the upcoming season. I think everyone underrates or overestimates Rondo's ability to score, rebound, and assist.

Rajon Rondo is one of the 5 players I could guess to average a quad double, along with Joakim Noah, Westbrook, etc.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Its his Contract season, and questions will arise whether or not hes a max player. I think Rondo will at least average 3-4 triple doubles, if anything, to build up his value in FA/Ainge.

I know I'm being crazy, but I can see Rondo averaging 6 triple doubles in the upcoming season. I think everyone underrates or overestimates Rondo's ability to score, rebound, and assist.

Rajon Rondo is one of the 5 players I could guess to average a quad double, along with Joakim Noah, Westbrook, etc.

Ah but that's not the question. The question is how many he will have in his career AGAINST us.

I do think that Rondo will likely hit his physical peak and his usage peak this year. There will definitely be some triple doubles this season one way or the other.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Ah but that's not the question. The question is how many he will have in his career AGAINST us.

So you two bet on how many triple doubles Rondo will average against us..? Is this null and void if he stays? o.O

If anything, I don't see Rondo wanting to compete as much against us. We're not much of a threat. If Pierce/Garnett was here, I could see him pushing himself to get triple doubles.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

So you two bet on how many triple doubles Rondo will average against us..? Is this null and void if he stays? o.O

If anything, I don't see Rondo wanting to compete as much against us. We're not much of a threat. If Pierce/Garnett was here, I could see him pushing himself to get triple doubles.

Not average. Total. We bet on how many triple doubles Rondo will put up against Boston in his career. I agree with you... if we do trade him or let him sign elsewhere, he's going to play with extra effort against us.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This question comes from an intense nba-boring-season debate leading to a friendly bet between myself and my very good season-ticket-wielding friend. We're setting the over/under at 1.5. The stakes are, uncreatively, actual steaks.

Not sure the point of this thread. You made a bet with a friend that might result in one of you getting a free dinner at some point in the next 10 years, assuming you're both in the area at the time, still in touch with each other and either of you still remember the bet years from now.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:48:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In his career?  I'd take the over, as well.  So few players play their entire career with one team, so Rajon is likely to move on at some point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In his career?  I'd take the over, as well.  So few players play their entire career with one team, so Rajon is likely to move on at some point.

This is a challenging question.  On one hand, I can't pass up an opportunity to say something annoying about Rondo potentially getting traded.  On the other hand, I can't pass up an opportunity to undermine Rondo's statistical ability...

I'd love to take the over, but that suggests post-prime Rondo is actually capable of putting up Triple doubles consistently enough to do it more than once against the Celtics.  That's hard to imagine if we end up moving him to the West and we only see him twice a year.  How many triple doubles is injury plagued old-man Rondo really going to get against Boston in maybe 10 games max over the remainder of his career?   I'd say 0.

I'd love to take the under, but that gives off the impression that we're going to keep Rondo... or that our dismal defense on a perpetual tank-job in the post-Rondo era will actually be able to prevent Rondo from doing anything against us.

The entire premise of this thread presents something of a paradox for a pessimist like myself.

I guess I'll take the over... Missed free throws and turnovers count, right?

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Under....

If you are going bold and saying he puts up 6 per season going forward, what are the chances it's against us. No way....
DKC Suns

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Not sure the point of this thread. You made a bet with a friend that might result in one of you getting a free dinner at some point in the next 10 years, assuming you're both in the area at the time, still in touch with each other and either of you still remember the bet years from now.

Don't be so modest. You have understood perfectly the point of the thread!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
So the question is, How many triple doubles will Rondo have against Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley?

I guess that depends on which team he is playing for.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I thought every point, assist, rebound, steal...etc. Rondo gets is him stat padding at the expense of the team.

In which case, over 1.5 because he's a selfish little rat!

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Zero.  Smart and Bradley will take his lunch money.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

+1

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Rondo's handles are solid.  Among the best in the league.  He isn't Jameer Nelson.

I'm sure Rondo has gone against Bradley many times in team practices, and I'm doubtful that Bradley has success picking his pocket regularly.

As far as over/under... what the hell, I'll go over.  Nobody sticks to 1 team these days.