Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14249 times)

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:13 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
lets make it simple

hamed haddadi or greg oden

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Back to the subject...

I would love to take a chance on Oden.  Far more upside than Vitor, Colton Iverson, etc.

Faverani, Iverson, and Zeller seem to have a better chance of becoming guys who would make me willing to hand out a three-year MLE-level contract.  Can Oden do anything next season to make you willing to give him that much money?

Who said anything about a 3 year MLE contract??

I'm saying it.  I don't think there's any point in signing Oden for a year if you're not willing to hand him the sort of contract he could get if he has a good season.  Under what conditions do you expect to see Oden as a Celtic beyond next summer?

Why would the Celts need to sign him to the MLE if nobody else is interested?  They would be bidding against themselves.  If he doesn't have another offer, then he'll take what he's given.

You may be misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying sign him to the MLE now.  I'm saying that you should only sign for this season if you have interest in re-signing him after this season, pending how well he does.  And if he does well, he might be getting those MLE offers.  It's pointless to sign him if you wouldn't consider bringing him back for 2015-2016.  Why let him rebuild his value on the Celtics if you're just going to let him sign with someone else?

If Oden signs for 1 year and performs well, then I would hope that the C's would be interested in signing him for a longer deal.  I wouldn't have any problem with offering him a 3 yr deal for the MLE if he earns it.   And, if he likes it here, then he may be more apt to stay.
As I said in a previous post, I would love to take a chance on Oden.  Far more upside than Vitor, Colton Iverson, etc. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Back to the subject...

I would love to take a chance on Oden.  Far more upside than Vitor, Colton Iverson, etc.

Faverani, Iverson, and Zeller seem to have a better chance of becoming guys who would make me willing to hand out a three-year MLE-level contract.  Can Oden do anything next season to make you willing to give him that much money?

You'd give a 3-year MLE deal to Colton Iverson!?!? :o  He's not even good enough to be in the NBA.  As for Faverani, I'm also going to go with a no.  Not that he can't develop into a good player, because he did show flashes of what he can do last season, but I just don't think that such a scenario is very likely, unfortunately.  Zeller, at least, is solid, but I don't think he's worth the mle, either, however much it is now.