Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14185 times)

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:57 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Back to the subject...

I would love to take a chance on Oden.  Far more upside than Vitor, Colton Iverson, etc. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.
And he showed that he can be an excellent NBA contributor years ago, so I don't get your point.

Look at Grant Hill. You can be injured many seasons in a row, but then get healthy. And when healthy, skills become the issue.

Mentioning age the way you did makes sense when responding to people talking about Green developing. Green is what he is. Oden is a health issue, not a developmental issue. So your age argument doesn't season appropriate.
In the few games that he played every year in that injury prone stretch, Grant Hill still looked and moved like Grant Hill.  Greg Oden was healthy last year and he looked and moved nothing like Greg Oden used to.  That's the difference.

He sure didn't look too bad in limited minutes this past regular season!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSzgdVCzaY

Smitty77

I'm all in. At 26, you never know. If he were 36, no chance. Someone said a back tweak held him out of the playoffs. Not sure about that but I want to take a swing with him in green and white.

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Back to the subject...

I would love to take a chance on Oden.  Far more upside than Vitor, Colton Iverson, etc.

Faverani, Iverson, and Zeller seem to have a better chance of becoming guys who would make me willing to hand out a three-year MLE-level contract.  Can Oden do anything next season to make you willing to give him that much money?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
Back to the subject...

Faverani, Iverson, and Zeller seem to have a better chance of becoming guys who would make me willing to hand out a three-year MLE-level contract.  Can Oden do anything next season to make you willing to give him that much money?

Who said anything about a 3 year MLE contract?? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
anyone wonders why oden is still not signed?
oden is basically done, i could signed hamed haddadi right now instead of greg oden, healthy and can somehow help,

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Since we can't find any other rim protectors, why not sign him? We don't have one.
And if we got him we still wouldn't have one

Dats funny bro

TP....

I agree

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Since we can't find any other rim protectors, why not sign him? We don't have one.
And if we got him we still wouldn't have one

Dats funny bro

TP....

The rim would do a beter job of protecting itself than Oden.

I agree

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't have a lot of faith in it working out, but if the C's can get him on a small deal, why not?  They aren't going to contend next year and it's not like he would be hurting anyone's development at the 5.  I highly doubt Faverani or Iverson are in the league in 3 years (if Iverson ever cracks a roster at all) and even in the best case scenario, Zeller ends up being a good backup 5.

So if Danny thinks there's even a small shot Oden can stay healthy, they might as well roll the dice on what's going to be a developmental season anyway.

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Did somebody say....

career revival?

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 02:06:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Back to the subject...

I'm saying it.  I don't think there's any point in signing Oden for a year if you're not willing to hand him the sort of contract he could get if he has a good season.  Under what conditions do you expect to see Oden as a Celtic beyond next summer?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
Back to the subject...

I'm saying it.  I don't think there's any point in signing Oden for a year if you're not willing to hand him the sort of contract he could get if he has a good season.  Under what conditions do you expect to see Oden as a Celtic beyond next summer?

Why would the Celts need to sign him to the MLE if nobody else is interested?  They would be bidding against themselves.  If he doesn't have another offer, then he'll take what he's given. 

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:13 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
i would rather give Emeka Okafor a chance.

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Back to the subject...

Why would the Celts need to sign him to the MLE if nobody else is interested?  They would be bidding against themselves.  If he doesn't have another offer, then he'll take what he's given.

You may be misunderstanding me.  I'm not saying sign him to the MLE now.  I'm saying that you should only sign for this season if you have interest in re-signing him after this season, pending how well he does.  And if he does well, he might be getting those MLE offers.  It's pointless to sign him if you wouldn't consider bringing him back for 2015-2016.  Why let him rebuild his value on the Celtics if you're just going to let him sign with someone else?

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Back to the subject...

My inference is that his point is that either Oden is terrible, and a waste of a roster spot, or he outperforms expectations and is promptly signed to another team during the 2015 offseason. So, if you think Oden isn't going to be as terrible/WoRS (waste of Roster Spot) than the other options/someone else, you sign him to a multi year deal. If he's too much of a risk, you don't want to sign him.

edit: beaten to the punch, but glad I read it correctly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2014, 02:18:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd certainly be up for it.   It's certainly a risk,  but at the cost of a MLE deal he's worth the gamble.   Doub't need ever be a star, but it's still possible he could be a very solid backup center if he keeps healthy,  or maybe even a decent starter.  Plus he's got legit size and he's still young,  so fits the team direction.

Maybe a the year deal with the last two years non guaranteed...?