Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14186 times)

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 07:36:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.
And he showed that he can be an excellent NBA contributor years ago, so I don't get your point.

Look at Grant Hill. You can be injured many seasons in a row, but then get healthy. And when healthy, skills become the issue.

Mentioning age the way you did makes sense when responding to people talking about Green developing. Green is what he is. Oden is a health issue, not a developmental issue. So your age argument doesn't season appropriate.
In the few games that he played every year in that injury prone stretch, Grant Hill still looked and moved like Grant Hill.  Greg Oden was healthy last year and he looked and moved nothing like Greg Oden used to.  That's the difference.

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Let's say Oden plays 70 games, averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds in 25 minutes.  What do you do then?  Are you going to sign him to a three-year deal?

If he plays well, the Celtics probably won't want to bid against whatever multi-year contract offer he is likely to get.  If he plays poorly or is injured, the Celtics won't want to keep him.  Either way, if you sign him to a one-year deal, he doesn't seem likely to be a Celtic beyond next season.  The best-case scenario is signing him and flipping to a team desperate for big man depth at the deadline.

If that happened I think we'd all be ecstatic.  However, I'm sure that some sort of deal could be worked out, and if not, we should make sure that he's a restricted free agent.  That way, we can match any offer or include him in some kind of sign-and-trade deal.  Whoever said that he'll probably find his way to Cleveland is probably right, though :'(

Restricted free agency doesn't work that way.  He's spent too many years in the NBA to ever be a restricted free agent.  Because he would have been a Celtic for only one year, he would only be eligible for a contract 120% of the minimum or whatever he signs for, so you probably can't offer him much in a sign-and-trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Cause he sux
No no no...lots of players suck. Oden is way way worse. Still better than Jeff Green.

Why all the hate for Jeff Green??  Now it's just a shtick for you that's not based on facts and, if you are doing it to try to be funny, you are failing miserably.  Find a new act....it's old news.
Because he signed a large contract and immediately proceeded to check out. And other guys noticed. When Gerald Wallace was having conniptions about effort who do you think he was talking about? KO? Pressey?

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Seriously what is there to lose?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
for next year we really need a center that can eat minutes at that position without killing us on D.  I don't see Oden as capable of playing significant minutes nor someone who's still capable of playing great D and rebounding.

if he was expected to be able to play like that, GMs would be lining up to sign the guy.  Don't want to waste a roster spot on him

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.
And he showed that he can be an excellent NBA contributor years ago, so I don't get your point.

Look at Grant Hill. You can be injured many seasons in a row, but then get healthy. And when healthy, skills become the issue.

Mentioning age the way you did makes sense when responding to people talking about Green developing. Green is what he is. Oden is a health issue, not a developmental issue. So your age argument doesn't season appropriate.
In the few games that he played every year in that injury prone stretch, Grant Hill still looked and moved like Grant Hill.  Greg Oden was healthy last year and he looked and moved nothing like Greg Oden used to.  That's the difference.

That's true, sadly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He makes Jermaine O'Neal look tough in terms of signing a contract in playing it out.

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why fill a spot with someone that can't play? He is broken!!

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Cause he sux
No no no...lots of players suck. Oden is way way worse. Still better than Jeff Green.

Why all the hate for Jeff Green??  Now it's just a shtick for you that's not based on facts and, if you are doing it to try to be funny, you are failing miserably.  Find a new act....it's old news.
Because he signed a large contract and immediately proceeded to check out. And other guys noticed. When Gerald Wallace was having conniptions about effort who do you think he was talking about? KO? Pressey?

I have no idea who Wallace was talking about and neither do you.  Was Green putting up all-star numbers before the big contract?  Did he regress significantly since??  Nope.  He's been doing what he's always done and based on the recent contracts for similar players, he is a BARGAIN. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Cause he sux

well, lucky for us it's another contract year for Jeff Green then

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Because his knees are made of glass.

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

He sure didn't look too bad in limited minutes this past regular season!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsSzgdVCzaY

Smitty77

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Cause he sux

He has an option, right? My guess is he mails it in again.

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Cause he sux

ZZZZzzzzzzz
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Cause he sux

ZZZZzzzzzzz

Celtics fan for life.