Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14255 times)

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Cause he sux
No no no...lots of players suck. Oden is way way worse. Still better than Jeff Green.

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
If we can do a trades that remove four players from the roster I would love to take a flier on Oden. He has way more upside than anyone we could put at the end of the bench.
I agree with this. If he can play he has to be at least at good as Faverani. I would sign him.   If he is going to amount to anything in the NBA it will happen in the next few years.
yes. oden is still only 26 years old. if, if, if his knees allow him to play 15 minutes a night he would be a nice back up center. i would not mind having ainge gamble on oden even if it means waving good bye to faverani.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's just plain old cooked.
If he wasn't he would have played vs Duncan or hibbert.
At this point you'd be better off signing Andrew Bynum fresh outta the looney bin.
Such a shame because he could have been one of the GOATS.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Cause he sux
No no no...lots of players suck. Oden is way way worse. Still better than Jeff Green.

Why all the hate for Jeff Green??  Now it's just a shtick for you that's not based on facts and, if you are doing it to try to be funny, you are failing miserably.  Find a new act....it's old news. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Good idea but he would have to sit out a whole year.

Why does he have to sit out a whole year?

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This is the kind of risk I'd love to see us take. Oden still has oodles of talent. On the 1/10 chance that he really does stay healthy, we just got a steal. I'd want to see a 3 year deal with only 1 year guaranteed (is that possible?)

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, give it a shot.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd try it out.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This is the kind of risk I'd love to see us take. Oden still has oodles of talent. On the 1/10 chance that he really does stay healthy, we just got a steal. I'd want to see a 3 year deal with only 1 year guaranteed (is that possible?)
I don't think a guy who can't move can have oodles of talent.  He used to have oodles of talent.  It's not just about Oden staying healthy anymore.  He has deteriorated quite a bit athletically.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.
And he showed that he can be an excellent NBA contributor years ago, so I don't get your point.

Look at Grant Hill. You can be injured many seasons in a row, but then get healthy. And when healthy, skills become the issue.

Mentioning age the way you did makes sense when responding to people talking about Green developing. Green is what he is. Oden is a health issue, not a developmental issue. So your age argument doesn't season appropriate.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Oden's body is a ticking time bomb. I don't want him to be riding the pine with us, if we signed him, for this season;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Let's say Oden plays 70 games, averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds in 25 minutes.  What do you do then?  Are you going to sign him to a three-year deal?

If he plays well, the Celtics probably won't want to bid against whatever multi-year contract offer he is likely to get.  If he plays poorly or is injured, the Celtics won't want to keep him.  Either way, if you sign him to a one-year deal, he doesn't seem likely to be a Celtic beyond next season.  The best-case scenario is signing him and flipping to a team desperate for big man depth at the deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:31 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
What's the point? If we were a contending team, I would say absolutely. But we're not. He's not a trade asset. He'd probably only get the minimum from teams. He is a back up at this point and wouldn't be part of our future - either as an asset or as a contributor.

(From my recollection, yes there was some talk of a back injury during the playoffs - but Oden was quoted repeatedly saying he was ready to play. Spo just didn't play him. Not knocking Spo or Oden, but for whatever reason, he never left the pine.)

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Let's say Oden plays 70 games, averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds in 25 minutes.  What do you do then?  Are you going to sign him to a three-year deal?

If he plays well, the Celtics probably won't want to bid against whatever multi-year contract offer he is likely to get.  If he plays poorly or is injured, the Celtics won't want to keep him.  Either way, if you sign him to a one-year deal, he doesn't seem likely to be a Celtic beyond next season.  The best-case scenario is signing him and flipping to a team desperate for big man depth at the deadline.

If that happened I think we'd all be ecstatic.  However, I'm sure that some sort of deal could be worked out, and if not, we should make sure that he's a restricted free agent.  That way, we can match any offer or include him in some kind of sign-and-trade deal.  Whoever said that he'll probably find his way to Cleveland is probably right, though :'(

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 02:41:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.
And he showed that he can be an excellent NBA contributor years ago, so I don't get your point.

Look at Grant Hill. You can be injured many seasons in a row, but then get healthy. And when healthy, skills become the issue.

Mentioning age the way you did makes sense when responding to people talking about Green developing. Green is what he is. Oden is a health issue, not a developmental issue. So your age argument doesn't season appropriate.

Now there's a dream scenario.  I didn't think of that one.  TP.

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 03:35:30 AM »

Offline Havlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1

For Every Grant Hill there's a lot of guys like Sam Bowie and Ralph Sampson.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Oden come back and be more than a decent backup. If he plays more than 60 games this next season it will be great for him. I know it would be a low risk move for the C's, but man, it would be depressing to see him in street clothes piling DNPs

At 26 his body is not going to change. I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:57:42 AM by Havlicek »