Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14241 times)

Why not sign Greg Oden?
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From the Miami Herald today, the Heat reportedly have not made an offer to him yet, are undecided about bringing him back, and can only offer the vet min. Oden's agent says a couple of teams have expressed interest and Oden just wants to be on a team where he gets to play. I think he would be a great fit for us, there is no reason besides his health for him not to get minutes on our team, and he's totally worth taking a flier on with a vet min deal.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/24/4253371/miami-heat-still-non-committal.html

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:06:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
with his constant injury risk I would rather see him join a team where he can contribute in the playoffs. Maybe as Hibberts backup or on Bobcats playing behind Big Al. (giving them more reason to trade the Cs Biyombo)
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
with his constant injury risk I would rather see him join a team where he can contribute in the playoffs. Maybe as Hibberts backup or on Bobcats playing behind Big Al. (giving them more reason to trade the Cs Biyombo)

I think that was Oden's goal last season. This season however he feels he is more NBA ready and wants to play. Spoelstra had said that Oden's knee's held up well and that he had made great strides in returning to NBA game shape. It was a back injury that held him out of the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
B/c he would take playing time away from our bigs who are better and healthier than him? I think last season proved Oden just can't get healthy. The Heat sure could have used a big man in the middle in the playoffs, even for a few minutes, but Oden wasn't healthy/good enough to provide them even that.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
B/c he would take playing time away from our bigs who are better and healthier than him? I think last season proved Oden just can't get healthy. The Heat sure could have used a big man in the middle in the playoffs, even for a few minutes, but Oden wasn't healthy/good enough to provide them even that.

which bigs are those? Faverani and Zeller? That's about it. Faverani hasn't managed to stay healthy and does not seem to be an NBA starter. Zeller looks like a career backup.

KO and Sullinger are not centers, and we have no legit starting center, young or old, which is why I would take a flier on Oden.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Hmmm I'm ok with Oden as long as it's minimum contract...
But we currently have 19 players.... assuming we cut the 3 non-guaranteed contracts..
we still have 16 players in the roster even if we send Pressy & Young in the DLeague I think they will still be counted in our roster... where to place Oden? Who gets booted out?
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we can do a trades that remove four players from the roster I would love to take a flier on Oden. He has way more upside than anyone we could put at the end of the bench.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd rather sign Andris Biedrins over Greg Oden.

The only thing that's broken on that man is his mentality, that can be fixed. I don't think it'll be the same with Oden's knees.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
give him a contract non guaranteed...low risk, ok reward and won't matter to us much given our situation

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Have to change our name to the Boston Buckeyes..with Turner and Sully already on board, Oden be another former Buckeye
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline Havlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Why sign him? sadly I don't think he's ever going to be much more than what he is right now. A broken player. He was drafted seven years ago, at 26 he is what he is.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 02:11:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If he's healthy it would be great to sign him.  Is he still incapable of playing normal nba minutes ?

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
These injury riddled guys that are pulled off of the scrap heap almost never pay off any dividends. I can't remember the last guy that had injury problems anywhere near him that then went on to have a decent NBA career. Such a shame, he was supposed to be the next generational quality big.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I think that was Oden's goal last season. This season however he feels he is more NBA ready and wants to play. Spoelstra had said that Oden's knee's held up well and that he had made great strides in returning to NBA game shape. It was a back injury that held him out of the playoffs.

This is the exact point that I've been reiterating.  Don't play him 40 minutes, just put him on the 5-5-5 plan.  I believe that that would give Oden the best chance of success.  I really wish Danny would sign him, but he won't :'(  If he doesn't come here, he should at least look into playing for the Suns.  Now there's a scary thought.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he is cheap ok but to rely to him for being a reliable team member I am skeptical.  I bet he finds a way to the Cavs.