Author Topic: Why not sign Greg Oden?  (Read 14240 times)

Re: Why not sign Greg Oden?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Cause he sux

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I would rather see what Okafor has left in the tank.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Good idea but he would have to sit out a whole year.

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Says who? Oden says he's ready to go, so did Spoelstra for that matter.  You must have him confused with Bynum who is considering an innovative knee therapy that would require him to sit out a year.

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If we can do a trades that remove four players from the roster I would love to take a flier on Oden. He has way more upside than anyone we could put at the end of the bench.
I agree with this. If he can play he has to be at least at good as Faverani. I would sign him.   If he is going to amount to anything in the NBA it will happen in the next few years. 

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like him and he would make the Celtics more enjoyable to watch but I wouldn't expect him to have any impact at all on the team.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
no reason besides his health

Pretty much nailed it right there, didn't you?

At this point, Oden's best-case scenario is that he can be an effective, short-minutes backup.  People need to forget that he's GREG ODEN, #2 pick that was expected to be a dominant force.  He's a guy that has obviously had severe injury issues, and not just freak injuries - stuff that he's never going to recover 100% from. 

And, we've got plenty of backup centers right now.  Vitor's a backup.  KO will probably play somewhat at the 5, just to stay on the floor.  Zeller's a guy that you'd like to have coming off the bench, not be your starter.  Even Iverson might be there as a third-stringer. 

One of those guys will be a "starter," but only by default.  We don't really need another.

Although, I suppose he, Evan Turner, and Jeff Green could commiserate about their statuses as former top-5 draft picks whose careers have been stark disappointments. 

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
no reason besides his health

Pretty much nailed it right there, didn't you?

At this point, Oden's best-case scenario is that he can be an effective, short-minutes backup.  People need to forget that he's GREG ODEN, #2 pick that was expected to be a dominant force. He's a guy that has obviously had severe injury issues, and not just freak injuries - stuff that he's never going to recover 100% from. 

And, we've got plenty of backup centers right now.  Vitor's a backup.  KO will probably play somewhat at the 5, just to stay on the floor.  Zeller's a guy that you'd like to have coming off the bench, not be your starter.  Even Iverson might be there as a third-stringer. 

One of those guys will be a "starter," but only by default.  We don't really need another.

Although, I suppose he, Evan Turner, and Jeff Green could commiserate about their statuses as former top-5 draft picks whose careers have been stark disappointments.

He was actually the #1 pick.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He is meant to be a Celtic. Sign him all day all night, vet min, 15-18 minutes a game next year. There's your rim protection. Who cares about downside!?! Take him for the upside, like we're doing with other guys and see what comes of it. Buckeye beast mode.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
He is meant to be a Celtic. Sign him all day all night, vet min, 15-18 minutes a game next year. There's your rim protection. Who cares about downside!?! Take him for the upside, like we're doing with other guys and see what comes of it. Buckeye beast mode.

Keep throwing Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. against the wall, I suppose, and some of it'll stick. 

Room still smells like Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., though.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Since we can't find any other rim protectors, why not sign him? We don't have one. 

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
From the Miami Herald today, the Heat reportedly have not made an offer to him yet, are undecided about bringing him back, and can only offer the vet min. Oden's agent says a couple of teams have expressed interest and Oden just wants to be on a team where he gets to play. I think he would be a great fit for us, there is no reason besides his health for him not to get minutes on our team, and he's totally worth taking a flier on with a vet min deal.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/24/4253371/miami-heat-still-non-committal.html
For the exact same reason you don't make an offer to Rebecca Lobo (actually I'd rather make an offer to Lobo).  It's just not worth it.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Since we can't find any other rim protectors, why not sign him? We don't have one.
And if we got him we still wouldn't have one

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You can't protect the rim on the IR.

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Says who? Oden says he's ready to go, so did Spoelstra for that matter.  You must have him confused with Bynum who is considering an innovative knee therapy that would require him to sit out a year.
No. We may have confused him with a dying dolphin, but not Bynum.  That's great that Oden says he's ready to go, but I'd rather put Peter Dinklage at center.

BUT...and don't get me wrong here....even though I'd rather have Dinklage at center....I'd rather have Oden than Jeff Green at sf.

Dinklage at center and Oden backing up a dying dolphin at sf. .....I think that would be a small step forward from Jeff Green at sf.