Poll

What do you see Tyler Zeller being for the Celtics?

Future Starting Center (2015-2016+)
Future Backup Center (2015-2016+)
He's Trade Bait/"One Year Rental"

Author Topic: Tyler Zeller's Role with the Celtics (Beyond 2014-2015)?  (Read 2395 times)

Tyler Zeller's Role with the Celtics (Beyond 2014-2015)?
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Future backup center. I'm still hoping we make a splash in FA next year and get a rim protector or at least a legitimate/above-average center, and I'm hoping Zeller can have a great season this year and stay with the Celtics beyond this season and with Joel Anthony gone after next season, a center rotation of FA/Zeller/Faverani would be solid.

What do you guys think?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Tyler Zeller's Role with the Celtics (Beyond 2014-2015)?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Its his third year. He will come into trainning camp at 255 or hopefully at 260.  That will make him harder to push around.  He has advanced quickness and pretty good athleticism for a center

He could be a starter in this league and for the celts for the long term. Its up to him

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This is a rare thing ... but I kinda agree with triboy16f.

I was high on Zeller when he was drafted -- I was hoping Danny would trade up to grab him around 15.  Obviously, I was perfectly happy that Sullinger slipped all the way to 21 for us, so no regrets there.

Zeller is a very smart basketball player with good athleticism and a decent offensive touch.  He got off to a rough start last year because of the emergency appendectomy last Fall, but played very well the last few months of last year.

In particular, he's actually a better rim protector than I think folks give him credit for.  While he was on the floor, opponents took a very low share of their shots as layups (just 18%) and only converted them at around a 58% rate.

Assuming he resumes with his conditioning/strength program this summer (that kinda got unwound by the appendicitis), he could come in the fall around 250-260 on his frame.

I'm not predicting he's the next Dwight Howard.  He may never sniff an all-star game.  But I think Zeller should mature into a very legit NBA starting center.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
agree to all points posted above, also expecting a good season (barring injuries) from Tyler.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Admittedly, I don't know much about the kid, but I voted future Starting center. A skilled big who can run the floor, finish, and also has a decent jumper sounds like a starter. Sure he's not a defensive presence the way Chandler or DeAndre are, but neither of those guys are skilled on offense either.

Zeller will be a role player for sure, but I think he will be able to sop up productive starter minutes at the 5 spot.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:08:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
zeller was an out and out steal-he has basketball in his veins and will get better-this is another 7fter that runs the floor--another fine pickup by danny ainge zeller will be around boston for along time while while we look for that game changer big-

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
From the limited minutes I've seen plus stats, he looks like a good backup with upside to be an average starter. I didn't see any areas that he really excelled, which is why he lacks upside. But he also seemed solid in every area (including rim protection), so he could become a solid starter with some across-the-board improvement.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think ultimetly we will see one of Sully, Zeller and KO gone for a more defensive orientated big but this may be a season or two away. Its tough to pass judgment having not see him play as a celtics yet but my gut feeling is that he will be a respectable starting center this year 10pt 7rb guy.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Zeller imo is a career backup center in this league. His skill and athleticism are too limited for him to be more than that.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zeller imo is a career backup center in this league. His skill and athleticism are too limited for him to be more than that.

He is skilled. Unlike 50 percent of centers, he can either drive in for a layup or make that 15-18 mid range. Several games I remember him popping 3 to 4 jumpers in a row to keep the cavs in. Also he has a max vertical of 34. Thats better than 50-60 percent of the centers in the league.  The most valuable part is how quickly he gets off the ground. He is athletic

Again he just has to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and play aggressively on a consistent basis