Author Topic: For those who dont want us to be an 8 seed...  (Read 8487 times)

Re: For those who dont want us to be an 8 seed...
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My bad on the sarcasm.

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I am pretty confident the Celtics will not make the playoffs. The East is not the laughing stock it was last year, nor is it the west, but there are still  teams ahead of us for the 8th spot.

Anyways getting Karl Towns will be worth it

Getting 6-7 years of Towns or Okafor is much better than just making the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Remember 2013? We were a 7th seed abd went up against the heavily favoured knicks and gave them a good run... That was fun wasnt it?? And we still got olynyk in the draft... Anything is possible so u may as well give the young guys some playoff experience and the vets a chance to showcase their talents and up their trade value...

some people may have viewed it as fun, I thought it sucked and was very disappointing.

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I am pretty confident the Celtics will not make the playoffs. The East is not the laughing stock it was last year, nor is it the west, but there are still  teams ahead of us for the 8th spot.

Anyways getting Karl Towns will be worth it

Getting 6-7 years of Towns or Okafor is much better than just making the playoffs.

Kind of like getting Duncan was worth missing the playoffs, or getting Durant was, or Kwame Brown or Pervis Ellison. It turns out you don't always get the player you want if you miss the playoffs, and it's also true that many highly rated prospects just don't pan out. Unfortunately "Getting 6-7 years of some player who may or may not turn out to be any good is better than making the playoffs" just doesn't sound as exciting.

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the problem is, I dont see our team being Bad enough for a top pick...Alot went right for us last year to have 25wins and we still didnt get a top 4 pick.

This year our depth chart looks like

Rondo/Smart
bradley/Thorton
Green/Turner
Sullinger/olynyk
zeller/faverani

thats really not that bad....and Thorton/Turner, two guys we just added averaged in double figures last year

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 65
Getting to the playoffs would be a nice surprise to me, because it would mean that this team is much better than I think it is.
However, I believe the C's have only marginally improved while the east looks much better, so I expect late lottery, which is fine with me. i would hate to see Rondo or Green or both given away just for a chance at a top pick.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we can make it to the playoffs as the 8th seed, it will be because Rondo and our young guys perform well. Having young players perform would really help our ability to attract free agents in the offseason.

People are afraid of NBA purgatory, but if you make it to the playoffs on the backs of a young team that will only get better you aren't in purgatory you are a young team on the verge. Especially with all the picks we have owed to us, I'm not worried that we will get stuck without a steady talent pool coming in.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
no matter how great the young guys play no good veteran free agent is going to say "I need to go play with Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger". that's just silly.

at least not in one season, 3 yrs. from now and these guys have fully established themselves in the league then maybe. but I don't expect those 2 or any other young guy on the squad go from what we've seen and know so far to making all NBA 1st or 2nd team or all defensive team in 1 yr. because that's what it would take to get some good free agents to even consider coming here.

you've got a better chance planting a maple tree that sprouts hundred dollar bills instead of leaves.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
no matter how great the young guys play no good veteran free agent is going to say "I need to go play with Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger". that's just silly.

at least not in one season, 3 yrs. from now and these guys have fully established themselves in the league then maybe. but I don't expect those 2 or any other young guy on the squad go from what we've seen and know so far to making all NBA 1st or 2nd team or all defensive team in 1 yr. because that's what it would take to get some good free agents to even consider coming here.

you've got a better chance planting a maple tree that sprouts hundred dollar bills instead of leaves.

Aside from that whole Kevin Love thing...

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

Offline SmoothTsunami

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
The main priority this year should be developing our talent.   This will both increase it's value and their skill as players.   If this causes us to tank so be it.  No one wanted our picks or assets this year.   So we have to increase their value and some of them might just be worth keeping.   But the playoff should be second fiddle to developing players.

I agree with all of this, however I think should this happen--KO emerge as a legitimate scoring option, Sully establish a near double double, Zeller show improvement, Turner rehabs his value under Stevens, and Smart be a terror against second units--I think this takes us close to making the playoffs in the East. I don't think all of those things have to pan out, either, if a few get close, and Rondo is back to almost-normal and AB has his load reduced on offense, it might be hard to miss the playoffs, depending on how things shake out.

What I don't want is to be the Sixers. I know some people here want to follow that model, but I'd rather take the Raptors or Hornet-Bobcats path the past few years. Charlotte was awful in '13, improved to make the playoffs, and despite being swept, they established themselves as an up and coming team, which attracted a good free agent. I feel like this is a reasonable trajectory. I know Charlotte has been worse for longer than just a couple years, and never really broke out of purgatory, and maybe this is my Boston bias, but I feel our owner-front office-coaching have to be better than what they have, so we can succeed where they have failed. I mean, we're the Celtics.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 01:38:39 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

...who will likely end up as a Cav, so it seems.

- LilRip

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
no matter how great the young guys play no good veteran free agent is going to say "I need to go play with Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger".

What about I got to play with Rondo?

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

If the T-wolves and Cavs don't find a way to mess it up.......

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We need some powder for our fireworks...Right now we can't make a loud bang.

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

It's likely he will, but at this point it's hard to say he was never considering going to Boston.