Author Topic: For those who dont want us to be an 8 seed...  (Read 8484 times)

For those who dont want us to be an 8 seed...
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Remember 2013? We were a 7th seed abd went up against the heavily favoured knicks and gave them a good run... That was fun wasnt it?? And we still got olynyk in the draft... Anything is possible so u may as well give the young guys some playoff experience and the vets a chance to showcase their talents and up their trade value...

Re: For those who dont want us to be an 8 seed...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Totally different in 2013. We came into the season expecting to be a top team.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No thanks.  All or nuthing

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Remember 2013? We were a 7th seed abd went up against the heavily favoured knicks and gave them a good run... That was fun wasnt it?? And we still got olynyk in the draft... Anything is possible so u may as well give the young guys some playoff experience and the vets a chance to showcase their talents and up their trade value...

Pointless, rather have the draft pick, almost as I want the team to be good in the long run rather than mediocre forever.  Playoffs = prolonged rebuild, I think.  I want us to be good as soon as possible though and I know tanking does not always work.   But this team is going nowhere.   I hope our guys develop and build value.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
Totally different in 2013. We came into the season expecting to be a top team.
Doesnt matter.. We were still the underdogs in that series and we put up a fight without Rondo..

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
No thanks.  All or nuthing
Thank god ur not a gm..

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White

Pointless, rather have the draft pick, almost as I want the team to be good in the long run rather than mediocre forever.  Playoffs = prolonged rebuild, I think.  I want us to be good as soon as possible though and I know tanking does not always work.   But this team is going nowhere.   I hope our guys develop and build value.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TANKING DOESNT MEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! Every time we tank we get screwed over in the lottery.. We have enough assets and should have cap space to make some moves and be in contention but tanking isnt the answer for everything, or anything for that matter..

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree. Everyone says that being a 6-8th seed is NBA purgatory but I don't think it's any worse than missing the playoffs every year, hoping for fools gold in the draft and ending up with the number 6 pick (sound familiar?)

Not to mention, the Cavs will probably keep winning the draft lottery every year anyway.

If the Celts can acquire a couple veterans right now and make a playoff push this season, they should do it.

Right now, the Eastern Conference is wide open as Miami will no longer be monopolizing the number 1 seed.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
2013 absolutely was NOT fun.  I sat through every regular season game hoping that the team would show signs of life and turn the ship around, but it never happened.  Getting destroyed by a mediocre Knicks team (they should have swept us honestly, and probably would have if Melo drained free throws near the end of game 4 like he usually does) was extremely frustrating. 

I was pro-tank last year because I knew how horrible we'd be.  It was year 1 of the rebuild.  We'll very likely be terrible again this year.  If we were a mediocre team with aging vets and few assets, then yeah I wouldn't be thrilled with sneaking into the playoffs only to get swept in the first round.  But for a young, growing team like ours, I'd like to see us improve gradually until we finally make a big trade to get us back into contention.  That said, I think it would be great if we made the playoffs this year.  Not rooting for a tank again unless we're absolutely terrible by mid-season and losing is clearly the best thing to do again.  And I'm confident we'll never get a top 5 pick... ever.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
2013 was a nightmare....but i see where u are going with this..I will be happy with this current  team getting an 8 or 7th seed....the most annoying thing about 2013 is that we were expected to be very good so teams came at us with their A game, I don't think that will happen this year..I think will we surprise a lot of teams..

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TANKING DOESNT MEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
Out of all the team in the playoffs only one team wins it.   SO PLAYOFFS DOES NOT MEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS EITHER just ask ATL.

Every time we tank we get screwed over in the lottery.

Don't you think we are due?  A lot of times we have blown the picks too when players drafted belong dropped by us.

We have enough assets and should have cap space to make some moves

WRONG, Danny tried and NO WANTED OUR ASSETS or PICKS!   Some guys here think Sully is an allstar already, I assume your one of them.   I think he is a nice player but flawed.   Ditto for Olynyk.  If Ainge could have done better he would have folks.   Now Wyc said they wanted fireworks and I did as well but no one bit on what we were offering.  As for our cap space this is not the year we have the space.

but tanking isnt the answer for everything, or anything for that matter.

I never said it was bud.  I said "  I know tanking does not always work.".  Scroll up and see for yourself.  Ask the Hawks if they feel great making the playoffs and getting bounced every year?   

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I agree. Everyone says that being a 6-8th seed is NBA purgatory but I don't think it's any worse than missing the playoffs every year, hoping for fools gold in the draft and ending up with the number 6 pick (sound familiar?)

Actually it does not sound familiar, we only picked 6th this year in recent memory.  Here are our draft picks all time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html

Not to mention, the Cavs will probably keep winning the draft lottery every year anyway.

I do not know why I am arguing with some one who thinks a LeBron Cavs team will be in the lotto.   It will be like talking to a wall.

If the Celts can acquire a couple veterans right now and make a playoff push this season, they should do it.

All evidence points to the fact that no one wanted our assets.   DA got some veterans, just not star veterans.   This leads me to believe that we do not have enough talent stockpiled to turn it into something decent.   Ainge doesn't want the team to suck.  If he could have done something by now he would.   Let's hope he has something up his sleeve.   But it could very well be another year of tanking.  Time will tell.

Right now, the Eastern Conference is wide open as Miami will no longer be monopolizing the number 1 seed.

Because division titles mean so much.  Are you kidding me?  MIA still has more talent than us and I bet we won't play as hard without LeBron to motivate us but Rondo still goes hard at Wade.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I am pretty confident the Celtics will not make the playoffs. The East is not the laughing stock it was last year, nor is it the west, but there are still  teams ahead of us for the 8th spot.

Anyways getting Karl Towns will be worth it

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I'm a fan of KO but he is far from a blue chip prospect.  This draft has some bigs in it that have the potential to be difference makes on both ends of the court.  I'd much rather have a shot at one of them than a first round exit.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
...but tanking isnt the answer for everything, or anything for that matter..

The Spurs have five world championships that beg to differ.  The Rockets two titles may have something to say about that as well.