Author Topic: Jeff Green isn't a number 2 player, so we have to trade him?  (Read 6063 times)

Re: Jeff Green isn't a number 2 player, so we have to trade him?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Jeff Green is just good enough where it's tough to upgrade, but not really good enough going forward unless he is at best your third option.  So it's almost like we are stuck.  Lol  He is also at an age where his play will probably start decreasing in a couple years.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm tired of people making excses for Jeff Green.  You look at some of his games the year after surgery...HE BROUGHT IT!  What the heck is his excuse for not giving the same effort this year?  ...

Can't you ask this question of pretty much ALL the Celtic players this year?

Bradley had 16 games of 20+ this year.  He also had 17 of 9 or less.
Sully had 15 games of 20+.   He had 20 games of 9 or less.
Bass had 22 games of 16+.   He also had 36 games of 9 or less.
Jordan Crawford had 14 of his 39 games with us that were 16+.  And 9 that were 9 or less.
Olynyk had 10 games of 16+.  He also had 48 of 9 or less.
Kris Humphries had 11 games of 15+.   And he had 44 of 9 or less.

Jeff Green had 22 games of 20+.  He had only 14 of 9 or less.

How was Jeff Green any more 'inconsistent' than the rest of the this whole tanking team?

Clearly , each of these players has shown that they could "BRING IT".   Why the heck didn't they BRING IT every game?

Good gawd.  IT WAS A TANKING SEASON!!!

Danny Ainge came flat out and stated that they purposely had players working on skills, taking shots they were not comfortable with and other wise doing "development" things in games.

They messed with the roster all season, with absolutely no consistency in the starting lineup (or even the bench).

They went through the whole season with no true center.

They had NO NBA CALIBER POINT GUARD in the vast majority of their games!

They had different players suddenly taking 5 billion shots in some games and then none in others! 

They had lots of games were every single player on the roster seemed to take 3 shots!

This team was setup and managed as a whole to be inconsistent and under performing.

I find the idea that we should freak out and be hyper critical because individual players had sporadic, inconsistent production through all that to be baffling.

No, because the difference between Green and the rest of those guys you listed is that the effort is always there (or almost always there), with Bradley on defense, Sullinger fighting for rebounds, etc.  Even if the numbers aren't there in a game, their play certainly passes the eye test. 

With Green, he could score 10 points in the first 5 minutes or so and finish with 16.  That's what's frustrating.  Look, he's a nice guy, but he just doesn't have that gear or mentality that we all hoped he would have, or prayed that it was something that he could at least develop (if that's even possible).  It's really all between the ears for him, imo.  Of course, and this is probably just me, but I don't really put too much faith in someone who has to have monetary incentives in his contract for rebounding.  It would be one thing if the goal was to lead the league in rebounding, but that particular clause in his deal is about being slightly better than average, which is pretty sad, imo.  The effort just isn't there.  There's no fire, unfortunately.  I do think that he'd thrive in Memphis, though, as their 4th offensive option.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I gaurentee Jeff Green has a break out year.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Keep Jeff.  We need better players like a young PP.

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 12:13:18 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm tired of people making excses for Jeff Green.  You look at some of his games the year after surgery...HE BROUGHT IT!  What the heck is his excuse for not giving the same effort this year?  ...

Jordan Crawford had 14 of his 39 games with us that were 16+.  And 9 that were 9 or less.

How was Jeff Green any more 'inconsistent' than the rest of the this whole tanking team?

Clearly , each of these players has shown that they could "BRING IT".   Why the heck didn't they BRING IT every game?

Danny Ainge came flat out and stated that they purposely had players working on skills, taking shots they were not comfortable with and other wise doing "development" things in games.

They messed with the roster all season, with absolutely no consistency in the starting lineup (or even the bench).

They had different players suddenly taking 5 billion shots in some games and then none in others! 

They had lots of games were every single player on the roster seemed to take 3 shots!

This team was setup and managed as a whole to be inconsistent and under performing.

I find the idea that we should freak out and be hyper critical because individual players had sporadic, inconsistent production through all that to be baffling.

No, because the difference between Green and the rest of those guys you listed is that the effort is always there (or almost always there), with Bradley on defense, Sullinger fighting for rebounds, etc.  Even if the numbers aren't there in a game, their play certainly passes the eye test. 

With Green, he could score 10 points in the first 5 minutes or so and finish with 16.  That's what's frustrating.  Look, he's a nice guy, but he just doesn't have that gear or mentality that we all hoped he would have, or prayed that it was something that he could at least develop (if that's even possible).  It's really all between the ears for him, imo.  Of course, and this is probably just me, but I don't really put too much faith in someone who has to have monetary incentives in his contract for rebounding.  It would be one thing if the goal was to lead the league in rebounding, but that particular clause in his deal is about being slightly better than average, which is pretty sad, imo.  The effort just isn't there.  There's no fire, unfortunately.  I do think that he'd thrive in Memphis, though, as their 4th offensive option.

I'm not sure it has much to do with drive.  He has some matchup advantages he takes advantage of but overall has average lateral quickness, average footwork, average ball handling ability, and lacks strength to be a real post up threat.  So maybe it's just simply he doesn't have the talent to be a number 1 go to player, and his talent only allows him to score in spurts.

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 02:03:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I gaurentee Jeff Green has a break out year.

Didn't we say that last year?

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 02:21:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jeff Green is just good enough where it's tough to upgrade, but not really good enough going forward unless he is at best your third option.  So it's almost like we are stuck.  Lol  He is also at an age where his play will probably start decreasing in a couple years.

I agree with this. Really, there aren't that many SFs I take over Jeff Green if I know my other 4 positions are solid, and Green is not a top3 talent on the team.

But if you're talking about paying him $9 million a year and building around him (which we are), Id rather pay a journeyman a quarter of his salary to replicate 70% of his production.

Is Jeff Green better than Mike Dunleavy Jr? Probably. Almost certainly. Is he better than Omri Casspi? Of course. But is he so much better than his talent will swing the wins column in a way that will justify not moving him for assets we can use later? I don't think so.

Jeff Green is like a chandelier right now. A hot tub, an above ground pool. He's a luxury item, but we're building a house and depending on Smart, we don't even have the foundation built yet. Let's worry about a pool when we have siding And a roof over our house.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 02:52:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm not sure it has much to do with drive.  He has some matchup advantages he takes advantage of but overall has average lateral quickness, average footwork, average ball handling ability, and lacks strength to be a real post up threat.  So maybe it's just simply he doesn't have the talent to be a number 1 go to player, and his talent only allows him to score in spurts.

You're probably right.  He can't really create his own shot, but I don't agree with your assessment of his lateral quickness.  It's at least better than average if he's able to effectively guard guys like Durant and Lebron.  Green is a great athlete, so maybe he relies on his physical gifts too much.  He does have post moves, but they're not automatic, and he's a good shooter, but doesn't come off screens or creates well for himself off the bounce.  That still doesn't explain scoring 39 points in one game, only to follow such an effort with a 12 point outing, though.  It's nothing but peaks and valleys with him.  The lack of a pattern is the pattern.  It'd be one thing if he always hovered around 15-20 points per game and then had an explosive scoring effort here and there, but you really never know with him, and that's what I mean about his mental approach to the game.  Meh, who am I to question him?  I was always too nice and passive on the court, in addition to just flat out sucking, haha, and refused to take shots.  Any shots.  Ugh.  I'm a moron, haha.

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics have 20 million dollars tied up in absolute garbage with Green and Wallace at the Sf position. Wallace is done and Green is flat out soft.  Ainge  needs to keep building assets until he can move those two bums and bring in a legit top 5 guy at one of the wing positions.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Celtics have 20 million dollars tied up in absolute garbage with Green and Wallace at the Sf position. Wallace is done and Green is flat out soft.  Ainge  needs to keep building assets until he can move those two bums and bring in a legit top 5 guy at one of the wing positions.

This is what is exactly killing the Celtics ....those aweful contracts we ate to get picks ....arrrr..have wait out those guys .....hopefully 2016 will find them ALL anywhere but Boston

Super star money tied up in two NON superstar players .....

Bass is Bass .....

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'll have to see Turner's contract structure, but as of now I rather keep Green for the time being. I'm having a very tough time finding anyone, particularly an attainable anyone, that would be an upgrade over Green. The context, his length and ability to match-up extremely well with the top SFs (more importantly defensively) in this league, and that's a very underrated asset to have around here for some reason.

Yes he's inconsistent, yadda yadda, but when you're in the playoffs you'll be glad to have Green when playing against the LeBron, George, Melo's of the world instead of the Hayward and Parsons of the world many in this forum were salivating over.