Author Topic: Celts fans in San Francisco  (Read 2082 times)

Celts fans in San Francisco
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

Offline HDrona01

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'm a long-time Bostonian moving to SF for work and was wondering if I had any company out west? I'm kinda worried about this whole 3 hours back time difference - Celts games starting at 4:30? (Though having 10:30 starts for the Pats might not be too bad!)

Anyone already out there know of any Boston bars in the city to catch the Celts and Pats together? Thanks!

Re: Celts fans in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yoki's out there, I believe.

I have some friends out in the Yarea and I get absurdly jealous of them when the playoffs roll around-- West Coast time means that the 11:30 games start at 7:30 for them. Jerks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I'm not in SF, but I moved from Boston to the Oakland area about 2 months ago.  I have this hanging outside my window:

My apartment hasn't been shot at yet, so that's a good sign.  While it's not LA, I'd imagine there are LA fans up here (if they're not GS fans). 

So you're not alone out here.  Celtic legion runs deep.  But as far as bars in the SF area, I don't know em.

Also, welcome to the blog.  Have a Tommy Point.  And yes, it will be incredibly nice to not have to stay up past midnight to watch games anymore and then go into work a zombie the next day.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I spent 8 years in SF, and there's a boatload of New Englanders there. You'll be fine. The Buccaneer on Polk St is a good Boston bar, especially for Pats. The BuStop on Union is a 50/50 split between Giants/Red Sox, but you'll figure it out in no time.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Here here.

Cant help you with the bars though, as i dont drink. And it'll be tough, as most bars will either show Giants, Dubs or Sharks. But the place to go at the ATnT Park. 4 Very good bars in front of it with giant screens. Theres also a bar/bowling alley there. They may not show Boston sports games, but its a great place to either eat or drink. Very accessible to public transpo too (Muni T or N and youre there). I worked in the area before, theres a fun vibe there.

But welcome to San Fran, hope you like it here. For one, theres no snow in the winter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:15:40 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »

Offline HDrona01

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 8
Awesome, thanks guys! I'm excited to be moving out west, and sounds like I'll be able to do so without a huge drop-off in my game watching. At the very least, I can finally look forward to that brutal west coast swing that comes up every February/March!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Awesome, thanks guys! I'm excited to be moving out west, and sounds like I'll be able to do so without a huge drop-off in my game watching. At the very least, I can finally look forward to that brutal west coast swing that comes up every February/March!

Also, if you can manage to swing it, you should definitely go to a Warriors game. The crowd is amazing at Oracle, and they're (probably) going to move out of Oakland fairly soon.  :-\
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If you can manage to drop by at 23rd and South Van Ness in the morning, i can hook you up with aome coffee, ir if your at the Ferry Building from Tuesdays to Fridays from 2PM onwards, swing by Golden Gate Meats and we can hook you up some snacks.  ;D

Also, if you can manage to swing it, you should definitely go to a Warriors game. The crowd is amazing at Oracle, and they're (probably) going to move out of Oakland fairly soon.  :-\

I could not agree more. We love the Celtics, but the Dubs and that atmosphere is uncanny. DOS, they are just crossing the bridge, they wont go far. ;)

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

Offline celticpride17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I hope you have directv thats the only way you'll be able to watch all of the celtic & patriots games,with nba league pass &nfl sunday ticket. Welcome to the west coast, i'm  a diehard celtics and BIG fan of the patriots living in southern california going on 60 years! if i survived in so .cal against those fake laker fans you'll do great in nor cal,good luck in your new job & city!!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:55:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
If you can manage to drop by at 23rd and South Van Ness in the morning, i can hook you up with aome coffee, ir if your at the Ferry Building from Tuesdays to Fridays from 2PM onwards, swing by Golden Gate Meats and we can hook you up some snacks.  ;D

I could not agree more. We love the Celtics, but the Dubs and that atmosphere is uncanny. DOS, they are just crossing the bridge, they wont go far. ;)

You should go tell the people of Oakland that they're "just crossing the bridge." I know 90% of the sports fans that visit the O.Co and the Oracle aren't actually from Oakland (or inclined to hang out in the East Bay any longer than they have to), but moving a team, let alone three, to jack ticket prices while disenfranchising -- literally, in this case -- lower-income fans is lame.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline kevbo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9

The Little Spot? NICE! I used to stop there sometimes because I lived on 23rd near Alabama,  before I moved back East toward the end of the aughts. I still miss SF daily. And NBA league pass while living on the West Coast is the best!

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You should go tell the people of Oakland that they're "just crossing the bridge." I know 90% of the sports fans that visit the O.Co and the Oracle aren't actually from Oakland (or inclined to hang out in the East Bay any longer than they have to), but moving a team, let alone three, to jack ticket prices while disenfranchising -- literally, in this case -- lower-income fans is lame.

Hey, they are moving everybody. The Niners will be in Santa Clara. We are all affected. But youre right, completely agree with everything. The A's are staying though, so Oakland averted one.

The Little Spot? NICE! I used to stop there sometimes because I lived on 23rd near Alabama,  before I moved back East toward the end of the aughts. I still miss SF daily. And NBA league pass while living on the West Coast is the best!

NIIIICE. I just got hired there to run the morning shifts. Excellent laid back spot to be in. Of course my service is also top notch.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's a little more complicated than that -- the MLB and the A's want the team to move to San Jose, the Raiders want to tear down the O.co and build a football only stadium, and the city of Oakland wants the A's to consider building a separate baseball field in Oakland, which the A's don't really want to do. They did sign that lease, but it's a lot more complicated than "The A's are staying for 10 years," especially because the NFL unashamedly wants to move the Raiders to LA, and could use the A's continued presence at the O.co to do so.

The Niners just moved out for similar reasons (cash grab from the Silicon Valley), and everyone is watching the Warriors (scheduled to move out in 2017) very closely for the same reason.

TL,DR: Teams are going to move as close as possible to Silicon Valley in order to make tons of money.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It's a little more complicated than that -- the MLB and the A's want the team to move to San Jose, the Raiders want to tear down the O.co and build a football only stadium, and the city of Oakland wants the A's to consider building a separate baseball field in Oakland, which the A's don't really want to do. They did sign that lease, but it's a lot more complicated than "The A's are staying for 10 years," especially because the NFL unashamedly wants to move the Raiders to LA, and could use the A's continued presence at the O.co to do so.

The Niners just moved out for similar reasons (cash grab from the Silicon Valley), and everyone is watching the Warriors (scheduled to move out in 2017) very closely for the same reason.

TL,DR: Teams are going to move as close as possible to Silicon Valley in order to make tons of money.

But the A's cant move to San Jose because San Fran owns territorial rights, right? Either way. Point taken. I guess they really want out of Oakland.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

But the A's cant move to San Jose because San Fran owns territorial rights, right? Either way. Point taken. I guess they really want out of Oakland.

Yeah, the A's situation is the byproduct of some Byzantine system I don't claim to understand -- I don't follow MLB in any way beyond being an extremely passive Red Sox fan.

Bay Area is awesome, though. If it snowed in the winter, I would seriously consider moving there.