Author Topic: Harden disrespects teammates  (Read 8540 times)

Re: Harden disrespects teammates
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:34 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not sure if there is more context to the statement

The context is that he is saying that the rest of his teammates, including new additions, are as valuable as the departed Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons, so the team is not diminished by their leaving.

Where did you get all of that in the "they just role players" comment when referring to his teammates?

Subtext

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
“Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

Yea, we don't want any part of these two
For someone who's supposed to be a franchise cornerstone, he's not scoring very well in the leadership category...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
That is just a complete lack of maturity and leadership from Harden saying that crap.  The same with what DH said.  They are over-estimating their own talent and ability, and short changing the impact they have on their team mates.  Who would want to be a team mate with those idiots?

Last time I checked basketball was a team sport, and even teams with superstars need the rest of the team.  I agree Harden and Dwight, for all of their talent, haven't won a title and probably won't anytime soon.  I used to like JH...

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not sure if there is more context to the statement

The context is that he is saying that the rest of his teammates, including new additions, are as valuable as the departed Jeremy Lin and Chandler Parsons, so the team is not diminished by their leaving.

Where did you get all of that in the "they just role players" comment when referring to his teammates?

His comment was in response to being asked about how the team would do without Lin or Parsons.  His claim is that his team won't be hurt because his new and returning teammates are good enough.  You can also interpret that as calling Parsons an overrated player who won't be missed.

I don't really see a difference between Harden referring to his non-Howard teammates as role players and Danny Ainge saying that he sees Kelly Olynyk as a complementary player rather than a star.  If a reporter asked Harden if he thought Patrick Beverley and Trevor Ariza were the sort of role players who can help him contend for a title, is he supposed to agree that they can help or is he supposed to be disagree that they are role players?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm not impressed by that Harden comment at all.  I thought he was smarter than that..

He may not have been using his brain when he said those comment.  Was he intoxicated or high.

His intentions may not have been to disrespect his teammates , but his poor choice of thoughtless words will surely do some damage with his peers . 

Not very bright comment if you expect your teammates to have your back starting off the season.

Very classless thing to say ......he can't win a title by himself .......so he thinks of his teammates as scrubs .......he'll need them ....it takes a team to win a title.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He can think it, but it's classless to say it.  Plus, what have he and Dwight ever won?

Not to defend these two, but Howard has won multiple DPOY awards and was the best player on the team that beat that Cavs team that looked all but invincible in 2009, before falling to the Lakers in the finals, so at least he has a conference championship.  As for Harden, well, he won the 6th man of the year award in 2012, I believe, and was a huge reason why OKC beat the Spurs, although he was atrocious in the finals against the heat.

All that aside, I wonder what McHale and Olajuwon think of such comments.  See, again, this whole concept of a, "supporting cast," is detrimental to the teammates of guys like Jordan and Lebron, who referred to their teammates as such, almost throwing them under the bus in doing so.  Even Magic was reportedly a guy who chastised his teammates.  What all of this proves is just how great of a leader Bird was.  Yeah, he had Greg Kite on his team, but he supported the guy because he saw how hard he worked.  He didn't call him trash, or anyone else a, "role player."  They were his teammates.  That's the difference.

I can't stand Howard, anyway.  Man is he a dirty player.   As for Harden, well, we all know how horrible he is defensively, and his fashion choices are right on par with Westbrook, Durant, and Paul George in post game interviews.  Is he trying to look like a clown?  He really needs to cut his beard before something starts growing in there, btw.  Yuck.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Very classless thing to say ......he can't win a title by himself .......so he thinks of his teammates as scrubs .......he'll need them ....it takes a team to win a title.

Calling your teammates role players is the opposite of calling them scrubs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 10:16:53 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

No...calling your teammates role players is the same as calling them scrubs.  That is not a compliment. 

That is a d!ck comment. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Just for comparison, when Pierce or Garnett were asked something about the "roleplayers" on the Celtics, the standard answer was typically "we all have a role to play on this team". I don't remember them once referring to themselves as "franchise cornerstones". Ah well.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I really don't think any of his teammates are the slightest bit upset about being called a role player. You guys may take it as a insult and see the term role player in a negative light but these guys get paid millions of dollars to play their role on the team and do what they do best as basketball players.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
After watching that video, who do you think puts in more effort defensively - Harden, OJ Mayo, or Deron Williams?  Now that's a tough one ;D

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

No...calling your teammates role players is the same as calling them scrubs.  That is not a compliment. 

That is a d!ck comment.

If a player refers to himself as a role player, is he calling himself a scrub>?

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I really don't think any of his teammates are the slightest bit upset about being called a role player. You guys may take it as a insult and see the term role player in a negative light but these guys get paid millions of dollars to play their role on the team and do what they do best as basketball players.

The person who is really upset seems to be Chandler Parsons.  On the other hand, Jeremy Lin doesn't seem to mind:

“I agree with his statement,” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers. “Those two are the cornerstones. They have lost other players and they’re going to get other players and they’re going to be a good team. I know who James is as a person. I’ve spoken to him since I’ve been traded. He didn’t mean anything in a derogatory or condescending way. I don’t think it’s a secret that him and Dwight are the cornerstones of the Houston Rockets.”

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

That is a d!ck comment.

If a player refers to himself as a role player, is he calling himself a scrub>?

Has any player ever?  Even if they did, that's different.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

The person who is really upset seems to be Chandler Parsons.  On the other hand, Jeremy Lin doesn't seem to mind:

“I agree with his statement,” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers. “Those two are the cornerstones. They have lost other players and they’re going to get other players and they’re going to be a good team. I know who James is as a person. I’ve spoken to him since I’ve been traded. He didn’t mean anything in a derogatory or condescending way. I don’t think it’s a secret that him and Dwight are the cornerstones of the Houston Rockets.”

^^ or Lin is just happy that he's out of the Rockets... :D
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…