Author Topic: Everybody Loves Rajon  (Read 5001 times)

Re: Everybody Loves Rajon
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We need to know how many times he thinks it happens first.

First we need to hear from him how many times it happens a game, then we'll check for it when the season rolls around.
Yup. Not that we'll ever get a number, of course.

If it's too high he'll be wrong.

If it's too low, he'll be contradicting himself.

It was a sucker's bet. If he picks a number high enough to prove Rondo likes to do it then he'll be way over.

Since the stakes could end up being as high as a few TPs I'll point out that holding the ball for the last shot at the end of the quarter isn't evidence that he likes to do that, you have to have seen enough games to know that all teams do that to be eligible to play. You'd also have a lot of work to do to claim that stretching out possessions at the end of a game where we have a small lead is proof he likes to do it, that would be something called "strategy".

So, game in and game out, a good estimate of how often he does it out of his 60 or so possessions that aren't the last possession in a quarter or in the last few minutes of a close game. I'd expect it to be a large enough number that you could reasonably claim it's evidence that he likes to do that. Simple enough.

By the way, I'll double up on the issue and make the same "bet" with CoachBo. How many of the 60 or so possessions described above (not the end of the quarter or end of a close game) does Rondo hold the ball for 12+ seconds and then throw the ball to someone for a last second shot-clock beater? Realistically, since he's claiming 12 seconds and not 20 he has a fighting chance. But I'll take the bet anyways on the chance that his number's off. Waiting to see him tell whoever counted the times Rondo actually did that in a game that they were trying to use "sabermetrics" or "bogus numbers" would be worth it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:59:44 AM by BballTim »

Re: Everybody Loves Rajon
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This got me curious, based from NBA Advance Stats:

Rondo: 33.6min/game played
       7.7min Time of Possessions per game (462 secs)

Boston: 96.9 possessions/game

33.6mins / 48mins = 0.7 x 96.9(possession/game) = 67.83 possessions per game played
462 secs / 67.83 = 6secs / possession

For conversation piece, assuming half of them are fastbreaks or touch possessions only
it will still be 12secs / possession

Oops. Shoiuld read the whole thread.

This is the point where the bogus assist numbers get thrown into the discussion.

Most actual numbers that get thrown around in these conversations fit the definition of "bogus" (which loosely translates to disagreeing with your claims).

TP Tim -- keep on fighting the good fight.