Author Topic: A way tpo get Gorgi Dieng - within the Cavs / Wolves trade?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
To Minny: Marcus Thornton / Vitor Faverani
To Boston: Kevin Martin / Gorgi Dieng

it works money wise - Maybe we give Minny a future first, protected - or some second round picks? Although as we'd be relieving them of Martin's contract with Thornton's expiring I'm not sure we'd have to give them picks.

Minny gets a decent young center behind Pekovic who they're invested in, as well as a decent back up in Faverani. If we gave them the Clipper's pick next year they could pick up another young center as well.

The reason I might stretch for this deal is to get Dieng. I think he could be a very good part of our center rotation moving forward and is the exact opposite of Zeller - being more of a defensive rebounding center.

Zeller / Dieng
Sullinger / Olynyk

Nice 1-2 punch at the 4/5, particularly if all these young prospects continue to develop to the peak of what their ceilings appear to be.

Zeller / Dieng / Joel Anthony
Sullinger / Olynyk / Bass
Green / Evan Turner / Wallace
Bradley / Martin / Young
Rondo / Smart / Pressey

That's a helluva second unit. From there you have / could:
1. Anthony, Bogans & Bass coming off the books for about $15.8 mil
2. A slew of First and second round picks
3. Possibility of packaging some combination of Green, Bradley and some combinations of picks for a major upgrade at SF.   

In the meantime though, if that team gels I think it could be very competitive.

Thoughts?   

Re: A way tpo get Gorgi Dieng - within the Cavs / Wolves trade?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Little to no chance. Wolves have high hopes for dieng. Even if he is traded to the cavs, cavs need a legit center also

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Jeff Green
Brewer
Budinger
Zack Lavine

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Jeff Green
Brewer
Budinger
Zack Lavine

not happening

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm not understanding this growing "Dieng to Boston" trend.  I'm having trouble logically wrapping my mind around the idea.

Someone explain to me why the Wolves are getting rid of assets in a Kevin Love deal?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

Cavs are the team struggling to match salary... not the Wolves.   Wolves want the Cavs to take on Kevin Martin and Barea...  which means the Cavs need to give up more salary... which means the Cavs need to probably include someone like Waiters or Thompson in a deal just to make it financially work... which means they are giving up more assets than they need to...  which means they might look for a 3rd team to take on one of those contracts and give up a 1st.

If Minny insists that the Cavs take on Martin + Barea along with Kevin Love... that's like 27 million in contracts.   The Cavs need to send out like 22 million in contracts.

Wiggins = 5.5
Bennett = 5.6
Lucas = 1.6
Thomas = .95
Murphy = .81

.... that equals 14.46 ... Not enough.

They could also include Haywood 2.2 mil... that gets them up to 16.6 ... Still not enough.

They would have to also include Thompson's 5.1 mil to get to the number... about 21.7 mil.

So you could see something where Thompson goes to a team like Boston... Boston sends Bogans to the Wolves and a 1st to the Cavs. 

But this Dieng thing?   Why are we having the Wolves send out even more salary?  Isn't that hard enough as-is?

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
But this Dieng thing?   Why are we having the Wolves send out even more salary?  Isn't that hard enough as-is?

The reason is Dieng was leaked by a few different (possibly bs) sources as a possible asset that could go back to Cleveland and simultaneously, the Celtics were mentioned as a team that could facilitate a Love trade.  I think the thinking is that if Dieng could possibly be traded at all and we are getting our noses into this business anyways, we should push for him to come to us if possible.

It's a pipe dream, but hey, it's summer