Author Topic: The anticipation is killing me.  (Read 7656 times)

Re: The anticipation is killing me.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
you renew the pass ,you buy a season ticket , you attend games because you don`t just follow your team..... are married to it

Exactly! Think of the C's as a pregnant wife. You love her, even though she's fat and tired and no fun. But soon the baby will come and the new chapter will be more exciting than ever!

Ew, children.  :D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'm just going to address the unaddressed elephant in the room here with Minnesota. It seems they have a strong preference towards white players. You hear the snickers and side jokes but look at the players they've been linked in. Thompson Lee Olynyk McDermott in any of these deals. It's also been reported at times that Cleveland's offer would be behind GSW's (with Thompson) and depending what source you're talking to Chicago's with McDermott.

It's not just this off season either but it's been for the last few years at least. Nothing necessarily wrong with that since everyone can build their organization a certain way but just interesting to point out.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I'm just going to address the unaddressed elephant in the room here with Minnesota. It seems they have a strong preference towards white players. You hear the snickers and side jokes but look at the players they've been linked in. Thompson Lee Olynyk McDermott in any of these deals. It's also been reported at times that Cleveland's offer would be behind GSW's (with Thompson) and depending what source you're talking to Chicago's with McDermott.

It's not just this off season either but it's been for the last few years at least. Nothing necessarily wrong with that since everyone can build their organization a certain way but just interesting to point out.

It's therefore easy to speculate that the Jazz, Timberwolves, and Wizards are shaping their rosters to reflect the demographics of their fan bases. But before we jump to that conclusion, we thought we'd explore some alternative explanations for why these teams might have such a disproportionate number of white and black players.

One explanation we considered was that the Jazz and Wolves might not be targeting white players per se, but rather seeking cheaper and/or undiscovered Euro-league players—players who happen to be disproportionately white. This would make sense for small-market teams like the Jazz and Timberwolves, since they generally have a tougher time landing big-name free agents. However, the numbers did not bear this out. The Jazz were ninth in the NBA in terms of the percentage of players on their roster who were drafted or signed directly from Europe, at 9 percent. The Timberwolves were 13th in the league at 6 percent. Although both percentages were in the top half of the NBA, they did not go far enough in explaining the abundance of white players on each team.

Another theory we looked at was whether teams were more inclined to draft or sign players from their own geographic areas. This would explain why teams from Utah and Minnesota were disproportionately white, while a team from Washington D.C. was disproportionately black. Once again, however, the numbers proved otherwise. Despite a few examples of hometown signings, none of the three teams favored local players enough to account for the racial disparities between teams.

One explanation that seems to hold up under scrutiny is the influence of each team's general manager. For example, the Timberwolves were only 22 percent white in the 10 years before they hired David Kahn as GM, in 2009. After Kahn took over, the Timberwolves' white-player percentage nearly doubled to 43 percent (over Kahn's four-year tenure). The racial demographics of the Jazz and Wizards were more consistent, but that's likely because both teams had a single general manager for most of the past 15 years. (Kevin O'Connor was the Jazz's GM from 1999-2012; Ernie Grunfeld has been the Wizard's GM since 2003.) This suggests that the prevalence of white players on the Jazz and Timberwolves and of black players on the Wizards may have more to do with front-office leadership than with the demographics of each team's fan base.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/do-nba-teams-with-whiter-fan-bases-have-whiter-rosters-1587084027
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The Celtics were accused of this back in the 1980's. I can't speak to the Wolves, but seriously doubt it has any merit.

The fact that the 1985-86 Celtic team, the majority of players of which were white, is considered by many the greatest Celtic team ever, if not one of the top 2-3 teams all time in the NBA, was the strongest rebuttal to any argument that the organization was racist.   Not to mention the first professional organization to start all black NBA team, the first to hire a black head coach in professional sports, etc.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Pictured: a typical Timberwolves fan.

The Wiggins is a *bell clang*

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
our offseason is done imo. i think we're going to roll with what we have for now.

There is still Love and Monroe to fall in the FA season. Once Minni figures out what to do and what they actually want, then Monroe will be the next big target. After that teams will adjust, tweek their rosters, and we may see some moves after that. DA is patient and always working. Wouldn't be surprised if something happens next month.

It's going to take longer now that Cleveland signed Wiggins, an other 30 days. If they move him at all.

Maybe DA is trying to work a Monroe trade, with Rondo and Green, go young. Or have Detriot send Monroe to Minni and the C's get Love, Detriot gets Green, Sully/Ko, and picks for helping out.

Maybe Cleveland and Boston are working deals that have Boston sending expires and Bogans contract so Cleveland can sign Love in the off season and forget about Minni and what they want.

There are still a lot of things that could happen and plenty of time to get it done before either the preseason or trade deadline.

Optimistic thinking, but that ship has sailed.

On what? All of them or just Love?

I believe the ship is still in the dock on many things. Just some more anchored than others.

While Love is looking like its ready to head out, until the trade is announced I bet DA is still working at it, but also looking at other options. And even if Love to Cleveland is a sure thing, the Cavs still need help. The Celts have the biggest non guaranteed contract which would help out a lot in a trade like this.

Monroe is still a possiblity, nothing has been really talked about with him. VanGundy told Smith that he's staying, so that makes Monroe the odd man out. But they still need a SF, that's were Green and possibly Rondo comes into play. But we wont see anything happen until Love gets moved.

I don't think DA will just Cut Johnson or Babb until last minute if he can't move them. He'll try to get at least a pick for their non guarantee's.

Im not saying any of these things are going to happen. It's just DA is still working the phones until he needs to cut some weight, and then he's still going to be working them on opening day. He wouldn't be doing his job if he just excepted what we have. So while things don't look like they are going to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if moves are still made, even small ones.

Plus as quite as it's been, somethings is brewing. Most of DA's moves come out of left field when we're not expecting it.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Specifically Love to anywhere other than Cleveland (he's not going to sign there in free agency, he's going to be traded), but I also feel that way about Monroe, too -- I think he plays out the year in Detroit.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
our offseason is done imo. i think we're going to roll with what we have for now.

Yeah, I feel the same. Danny was quiet at last year's trade deadline, and this offseason has been quiet except for the Turner signing (which really surprised me). A few players will have to be ditched because the team has too many, but that might just happen through cuts and not trades.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd be willing to make a friendly wager that we make at least one trade before opening night.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'd be willing to make a friendly wager that we make at least one trade before opening night.

I believe it will be more than one, Rondo and Green.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I'll take that bet.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think Danny will make at least one move before opening night.  May or may not be a 'large move'.

But I will not be surprised if he makes at least one move so as to not waste the Bogans' contract.

If there is a large move to be made, directly using it, he'll use it.

If not, I expect he'll find some smaller transaction that will simply reduce the number of guaranteed contracts enough so that he can keep Bogans' on the roster, at least until Jan 7 (when it would become guaranteed for the year).

It is too useful of a trade asset to just burn simply to make roster limits and Danny hasn't shown an inclination for throwing assets away.

Once the season starts, things tend to happen in the league.  Players get hurt.  Young stars emerge.  Teams realize they have needs or surpluses that they didn't realize.

When that happens, having 5.3M of instant cap saving salary filler is a very powerful tool for facilitating a trade with.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He still has to get the team down , cut done players

I'm oiling up my Celtic tank

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Specifically Love to anywhere other than Cleveland (he's not going to sign there in free agency, he's going to be traded), but I also feel that way about Monroe, too -- I think he plays out the year in Detroit.

Does Monroe have a player option? Just wondering since he's not under contract right now. So playing out the year wouldn't make sense. He'd settle for the 12mil that they offered him.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Does Monroe have a player option? Just wondering since he's not under contract right now. So playing out the year wouldn't make sense. He'd settle for the 12mil that they offered him.

He's a restricted free agent right now, and he's coming off of a rookie contract: he definitely doesn't have a player option. He does have the choice to play out the qualifying offer, though, which would make him an UFA a season later.

I think Monroe plays out the year in Detroit because they're not letting him go for nothing.