Author Topic: Young talent  (Read 4554 times)

Young talent
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Is anyone else enthused about the collection of young talent we're building?  Zeller and Turner were low risk and low cost moves that could pay off big.  Olynyk looks like a keeper and I like our draft picks.

Re: Young talent
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
enthused?  not really.  none of them look like potential stars. 

Encouraged or optimistic?  sure.  I'm hopeful each of the young players we already had improve from last year, Smart can at least make a contribution on D (if not overall game) and that Zeller shows he'd at least make a competent backup center once we land a starting-quality center.  I'm optimistic Young will look like a stud in D-league (since he won't see time in Boston).  I'm optimistic Fav shows he can actually play in the league.

enthused is just too positive an outlook for this bunch.  would have needed to land one of the top 4 prospects to feel enthused this year

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like (James) Young's talent too!

He can play!

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
No they suck lol.

Long season ahead of us and hopefully all the Love talk will end soon.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Is anyone else enthused about the collection of mediocre young talent we're building?  Zeller and Turner were low risk and low cost moves that could pay off big.  Olynyk looks like a keeper and I like our draft picks.

I fixed your original post. In to which I reply... No, I am not.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Cautiously optimistic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Cautiously optimistic.

+1

I don't think most of our guys have all star potential, but I think they have a chance to be good, solid pros. Given where they were selected in the draft, that's about all you can reasonably hope for.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Is anyone else enthused about the collection of mediocre young talent we're building?  Zeller and Turner were low risk and low cost moves that could pay off big.  Olynyk looks like a keeper and I like our draft picks.

No fix needed, at worst we could be building a young and deep bench.  I'm not expecting superstars, but these kids can play.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Cautiously optimistic.

+1

I don't think most of our guys have all star potential, but I think they have a chance to be good, solid pros. Given where they were selected in the draft, that's about all you can reasonably hope for.

Cosign.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I like how a bunch of people are so sure we didn't get a diamond in the rough in the last few drafts.

Now I'm not saying we have a Lebron or a Durrant in the mix. But did anyone think when Love got picked that 6 years later that teams would be chasing him as much as they have been and that  a team would trade a #1 defensive wing with tons of potential for him?

Now I know some people aren't that high on Love, but if we got some one that ends up with that kind of talent I think we've got some thing there, and some thing that could draw a more elite player.

We also haven't see Young play, and what the hype was about during work outs. The kid and I mean kid at 18 played better in the tourney than the two top picks. And he didn't shy away from the moments, and likes to play in that environment. It says a lot for his mentality, now he just needs to put the work in.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Yes I'm excited, they're not superstars but they can be really good If you guys give them a chance.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

No fix needed, at worst we could be building a young and deep bench.  I'm not expecting superstars, but these kids can play.

Some people want to be negative for the sake of being negative........

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Is anyone else enthused about the collection of young talent we're building?  Zeller and Turner were low risk and low cost moves that could pay off big.  Olynyk looks like a keeper and I like our draft picks.

Absolutely enthused. The Fab Melo late first round bust is almost gone from memory. The encouraging signs seen from homegrown picks like KO, Sully and Bradley (yes, still young) are encouraging.

The prior signs and redeemable potential of Zeller and Turner are encouraging.

Smart and Young have a long ways to go but I like those picks overall.

So yes, I think the collection is good and has value here or as trade chips down the line.  I hope Rondo, Jeff, Wallace, Bass and Anthony are enthused as well. They've got to take these guys on and help give them the right direction.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
well i think smart can be a better play than tony allen, possibly much better
bradley still young and could develop into a good sg
ko he's quite the x factor as to how good he can become
zeller great pickup!

if we go to tommy ball and run other teams into the ground we have the depth
pg rondo, smart, pressey
sg bradley, smart, thorton, turner
sf green, turner, wallace
pf sully, ko, bass, green
c zeller, fav, ko

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Our young guys are decent players, and a few of them AB, Sully, Smart, KO might be good bench players on a contending squad or maybe a borderline started in a good team.  But I don't really see any of our young players as future all-stars.  They are for the most part smart, hard working players that you love to root for.  I just don't think we have any future all nba / all stars in our crop of youngsters.  I would love for some of them to prove me wrong.  It would be awesome.