Author Topic: interesting article about the Love trade (rumor)  (Read 1746 times)

interesting article about the Love trade (rumor)
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Talks between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Minnesota Timberwolves surrounding Wolves big man Kevin Love have "escalated" now that Cleveland is willing to include No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins in a deal, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

The Cavaliers are trying to acquire non-guaranteed contracts that can then be moved as assets for Love, according to the report. The Celtics have a good one in Keith Bogans' $5.285 million deal. Here are some others.
gary washburn @GwashburnGlobe
Follow
Hearing Kevin Love to #cavaliers progressing and wouldn't be surprised if J.J. Barea is included in deal #timberwolves

How disappointing would it be, after all these months of speculation that Love might end up in Boston, if the Celtics help facilitate a deal between the Wolves and Cavaliers?

Love can't go to Cleveland for 30 days once Cleveland inks Wiggins to his rookie deal, but talk around the league is that the two sides are working hard to get a deal done.

What might the Celtics get for including Bogans in a three-team deal. A second-round pick seems reasonable, and a couple other Wolves players are rumored to be available:
User Actions   
 Follow

Sam Amico
?@SamAmicoFSO
TWolves G Kevin Martin and C/F Gorgui Dieng are other names that have come up in talks with Cavs about Kevin Love, sources say.

More from Yahoo!:

Minnesota wants a package for Love to include guard J.J. Barea, who has $4.5 million left on his expiring deal – and possibly guard Kevin Martin, who has three years and $21 million left. As part of a larger deal, the Cavaliers want to include 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a future No. 1 pick for Love.
Boston's chances for Love, as slim as they were to begin with, appear to be on life support.

here is the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/07/reports_kevin_love_to_cleveland_is_picking_up_steam.html
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: interesting article about the Love trade (rumor)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd love to have JJ Barea in Boston. A proper backup PG.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Seems like all the writers are coming to the same conclusion but I still don't see how it would work.  Say we offer Bogans for Barea (whoo hooo for the Northeastern Alum).  What do we get for that?  A second round pick from Cle?  I can't see us really wanting Barea.

Then how do we end up with Martin?  Something has to go out to someone.  I doubt that Cle would want to take back Wallace.  Maybe Cle takes Bass and we get Martin and for what, another second round pick?

I may be missing something but I don't see the value in us getting involved at this point.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »

Offline Busta

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
How about something like this:

TO CLE: K. Love

TO MINN: A. Wiggins, A. Bennett, K. Bogans, J. Lucas III, E. Murphy, C. Johnson, 1st rd sel (From BOS)

TO BOS: K. Martin, G. Dieng

Works in the trade machine also.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's funny, but I posted something similar a few days back quoting the same sources and all.

This works cap-wise:

Boston
*Salary in/out   4.5/5.3*
Barea

Cleveland
*Salary in/out  15.7/13.4*
Love

Minnesota
*Salary in/out  17.9/18.7*
Wiggins
Bennett
Bogans
Haywood

So then the question is how much compensation do we receive in order to facilitate such a trade? Pick(s) and/or Dieng?

gary washburn @GwashburnGlobe  ·  2h
Hearing Kevin Love to #cavaliers progressing and wouldn't be surprised if J.J. Barea is included in deal #timberwolves

Woj- Minnesota wants a package for Love to include guard J.J. Barea, who has $4.5 million left on his expiring deal – and possibly guard Kevin Martin, who has three years and $21 million left. As part of a larger deal, the Cavaliers want to include 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a future No. 1 pick for Love.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO  ·  2h
TWolves G Kevin Martin and C/F Gorgui Dieng are other names that have come up in talks with Cavs about Kevin Love, sources say.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=72907.30

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Getting dieng would be nice.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

TO MINN: A. Wiggins, A. Bennett, K. Bogans, J. Lucas III, E. Murphy, C. Johnson, 1st rd sel (From BOS)

that would probably push us to an 8th/9th seed.  I don't see boston adding Martin unless we are shipping out another guard.  Not sure it makes sense with AB at his new deal and the 7 mil / a year for martin.  That is a lot of money tied up in 2 decent players.  I like getting Dieng though.  Maybe that makes it worth it?

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You know what else works in the trade machine?

To BOS: Martin and Dieng (or Berea and Dieng, or Brewer and Dieng)
To MIN: Bogans, Babb, and Johnson

You know what else works?

To CLE: Kevin Love
To MIN: Bennett, Wiggins (30 days after he signs)

This is why the rumors make no sense -- or at least the trades proposed here. They can be done independently of each other.  There's no need for there to be some weird three-way deal (Lucas and Murphy don't need to be included in your proposed deal).  And they make no sense for Minnesota in general.  Why are they giving up a young center to unload Martin, on what is now a rebuilding team?  I get trying to force Cleveland to take Martin as part of the Love deal.  That's fine.  I can see Cleveland trying to re-route Martin.  That makes sense too.  But why would Minny be the one giving up the asset (Dieng) to move Martin, if it's a condition for the Love deal that he be gone, when they can theoretically just ship him out as a smaller deal independently?  This is also true of Barea, when his name gets bandied about.  Clearly, if a team other than Cleveland is taking on one of these players, the asset (draft pick or young player) should come from Cleveland.  I think there's an awful lot of hogwash being put out there, because a lot of it is nonsensical.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'd gladly take on Barea if it meant getting Dieng.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis