Author Topic: Chicago fans dont want Love  (Read 3476 times)

Re: Chicago fans dont want Love
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Chicago fans are like Lakers fans lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
DA should help out in this and snag McBuckets in the deal. I know it was SL, but man he played well. Still has more adjustments to make in the next level, but he did really well in that department when they started to flash two guys at him in the second game.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Fans don't like it because the type of players being offered are fan favorites.  The scrappy bench player who works his way into the starting lineup to great results.  The Euro they've been hearing about for years, who is going to put them over the top.  The lottery pick who just tore up summer league.

That package hits all the fan hot buttons.  Any fan base in the NBA would root for those types of players.   It's similar to why a lot of Celtics fans didn't want to give up the homegrown Al Jefferson for KG.  Plus, there's probably some element of "this isn't going to happen anyway, so why get my hopes up?"

Objectively, a good role player and two largely unknown rookies aren't enough for Kevin Love.  When you add hope and emotion to the package, though, you get some funky results.

+1

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
mirotic looks nice, he's almost certainly going to be a decent NBA player, but that doesn't mean he'll be a star. he's currently 23 1/2 years old, in the last few years in the euro league, he posted a nice 50% shooting and ~45% 3pt. percentage.
his per36 numbers are 19/7/1.5/1.2st/1.1blk - nice stats, but considering it's the euro league, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a stud in the NBA.
mcdermott is another nice prospect who looks to be, at worst, a solid NBA player.
gibson is of course a very good role player who is probably at the peak of his career.
if flip likes the thompson package, then he should love this one, i think both mirotic and mcdermott have a good chance at being as good as thompson, and they'll be much cheaper in the next few years. but personally i'd rather have the cavs package with the top prospect, or the c's, with smart and lots of extra picks and prospects.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mirotic imo will be as good as gallo.

Mcdermott will be a better version of korver

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
fans know less than the people in these organizations. I know it's hard to believe.

it almost always seems fan bases are reluctant to deal some young talent (who has yet to show he can truly be a star in the league) when they have a chance to improve their team and get a proven player. because like I've mentioned before everyone thinks - young players = dynasty.

if Chicago is reluctant in this situation like their fan base, then they deserve what's coming to them.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Taj is a back up who can play d but limited on offense.

Taj Gibson is a starter-caliber player who was forced to come off the bench due to Carlos Boozer's big contract, but has grown to the point that he will finish games for the Bulls.  This past season, he showed he was competent at taking a mid-range jump shot and scoring in the post.  He's improved so that he is no longer considered a significant downgrade from Boozer on offense, while having elite defense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

In that hypothetical sense, if Chicago is calling Minnesota and offers them Gibson, Gallo, & Korver for Love.....then any GM with a brain is laughing and hanging up. 

Although, people are free to debate if Flip has a brain.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

i mostly agree. i think mcdermott will be a more versatile player than korver, he's good at making "garbage shots," which, as we saw with olynyk the last few games last year, can really elevate a player.
mirotic i think will be more like toni kukoc, but a slightly better shooter. and that's certainly not a bad thing. he needs to toughen up, though.
can either of these guys lift their  ceiling up to superstar levels? i don't know. it's a lot easier making that leap when you have elite athleticism on your side, which these guys do not. that's why i'm pretty happy with a guy like smart, he's not only intelligent and driven, but is versatile and athletic enough already to stuff the stat sheet, the more i see of him the more it seems to me that if he can develop his shot, he could be a stud.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

In that hypothetical sense, if Chicago is calling Minnesota and offers them Gibson, Gallo, & Korver for Love.....then any GM with a brain is laughing and hanging up. 

Although, people are free to debate if Flip has a brain.

well, that's the inherent element of luck with prospects. what triboy outlined might be the most common outcome for prospects with their histories and skill levels, but flip is gambling on the chance that mirotic and mcdermott might be better than that. already they look like solid NBA players IMO. and, once you get to a certain talent level, being even just a little bit better can make a huge difference.