Author Topic: Ray Allen is leaning to signing with the cavs  (Read 17736 times)

Re: Ray Allen is leaning to signing with the cavs
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Playing a greatly reduced role and minutes the last two years in Miami really helped Allen's career longevity.

That's ironic considering how he whined about the Celtics not involving him more in the offense, starting Bradley over him etc.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Lot of pathethic, butthurt people here. As Ray Allen fan that's the perfect decision for him. He's 39. Way better than robbing money from the nets last and this season by KG and Pierce. KG should heve retired last year. Instead he robbed the nets 12M. And this year he continues...

Kevin Garnett is under, what's that thing called, a contract (maybe you've heard of it) with Brooklyn.

Kevin Garnett is also the main reason why the Celts won a championship in 2008.

But now all of a sudden because he's not in Boston any more, he's "robbing" the Nets.

Gimmie a break.

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Lot of pathethic, butthurt people here. As Ray Allen fan that's the perfect decision for him. He's 39. Way better than robbing money from the nets last and this season by KG and Pierce. KG should heve retired last year. Instead he robbed the nets 12M. And this year he continues...

My reaction exactly. I don't know if Ray's got any more to offer than Pierce or KG, he just has the good fortune of being able to play with the best player in the world right now.
Allen is a much better role player than Pierce and Garnett as a result of his deadly shooting.  They all have lost a step, they all can't handle a starter's work load, etc., but Allen can still hit the long ball as well as anyone in the league.  He can still hit foul shots at over 90%.  When you are talking about role players, Allen is much more valuable and serves a much greater purpose than Pierce and certainly Garnett.  The way Allen looked last year, he could probably be in the league another 5 years just standing in the corner bombing.
This is absolutely ridiculous.  Ray Allen, at his age, serves the same purpose as James Jones did.  You remove Pierce and KG from that Nets team and do you think they even come close to playoffs?  LeBron would much rather be hand-feeding Pierce and KG wide open shots for the minimum.
um the Nets were in the playoffs before KG and PP got there and had a better record to boot.  Now I will give you that Lopez played much of that prior season, unlike last year, but this notion that KG and PP elevated the Nets to previously unseen levels is silly.  Especially where KG is concerned.  Garnett is toast.  He played in barely half the Nets games at a whopping 20.5 minutes a game.  It could certainly be argued that Humphries would have provided just as much as KG did last year.  Pierce was still a respectable player, but he was basically the third option offensively, can't guard the elite SF's anymore, and was regulated to just 28 minutes a game.  He is a ball dominant player who doesn't have the skills to truly be a ball dominant player anymore. 

Ray Allen is a much better role player than Kevin Garnett or Paul Pierce.  James would much rather be feeding the ball to Allen than Garnett or Pierce because Allen will actually hit the shot at a much more consistent rate and their differences defensively are a heck of a lot closer now as KG and PP are average and below average defenders respectively right now (which puts them more in range with Allen). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ray needs to hop off Lebron

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

He's a relative one trick pony at this point but a smart one.

He knows whose coattails to ride.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Then why didn't he ask for a buy-out and sign with San Antonio last year?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not everyone can have the foresight of Boris Diaw.  8)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Then why didn't he ask for a buy-out and sign with San Antonio last year?

Probably because him, like the rest of us, can't see into the future. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ray Allen playing with Anderson Varejao should be fun now lol.

For those who don't know

Hahah yup. I remember that game. Cavs were wrecking Boston during the regular season back in 2009. And then this eventually happened!

To be fair, the Cavs wrecked everyone that year.  With or without KG I don't think we could have beaten them, given that we had no bench (thanks Danny!).  In regards to that picture, Varejao is a dirty player who flops as much as his hair, and he definitely had something coming his way, which made this moment all the more hilarious, whether it was intentional or not, and I doubt that it was ;D -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQJmiMYJK8

I believe the appropriate emoticon here for Varejao is  :o  On a side note, how did he get the nickname, "sideshow bob?"

There are a few guys deserving of the nickname, but I think Robin Lopez takes the honor.  It's kind of funny how they are all such similar players

TP for the pictures and explanation.  I never liked the Simpsons, so that would be why I didn't get the reference.  Robin Lopez is almost the spitting image of that character, haha, but my question here is what about Chris Douglas-Roberts?  Yes, he looks like Osmosis Jones, but there's a bit of sideshow in him, as well, haha. 

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
SOURCE: Windhorst and Allen contemplating on changing their last name to James
Oh, man I needed that.

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sad...I used to really like Ray...I thought he was classy and had some self-respect....but this is a total boner-face move.....typical of anyone involved with LeFraud.

I think we all did.  What a diva! ::)

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Sad...I used to really like Ray...I thought he was classy and had some self-respect....but this is a total boner-face move.....typical of anyone involved with LeFraud.

I think we all did.  What a diva! ::)

I mentioned this in another thread, but I do think it is pretty unusual for a hall of fame player to end up bouncing from team to team at the end of his career. I realize there are some, shaq certainly comes to mind with Orland, LA, Miami, Phoenix, Cleveland and Boston. However, most of the guys (Ewing, Pippin, Barkley, Hakeem, MJ, Drexler, Karl Malone) really stopped after 2-3 teams. With Ray going on his 5th team, it does take away some luster from his career in my eyes. You then add in the fact that his shooting was actually really bad last year and looked awful in extended minutes in the finals and this decision may come to hurt him.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:44:00 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its going to be a lot more common in the new era with 4/5 year deals and more player movement.

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Its going to be a lot more common in the new era with 4/5 year deals and more player movement.

While I expect this to increase some we are also seeing players like Dirk, Duncan, Ginobli, Parker and Kobe all re-up with their teams because they didn't want to move around later in their career. If we are to believe reports, Pierce didn't even want to leave the Nets (and expressed sadness about leaving the celtics) despite them being in a very mediocre situation because he didn't want to move again.

At a larger discussion, it would be interesting to know how much of a factor this played in Lebron's consideration of other teams in his most recent free agency. If you only play for one or two teams, you can kind of go down as a legend in that town for the rest of your life. When you are in someone like Ray's position his only real home right now would be UCONN.

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I think when Ray gets inducted into the Hall of Fame, instead of wearing the team cap of the celtics, heat, Cavs, or any of the teams he played on, he will wear Lebron's jockstrap on his head.