Author Topic: Sully vs Julius Randle  (Read 14365 times)

Sully vs Julius Randle
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Randle has played really well in the summer league, showcasing his passing ability, among his other strengths.  My question is, would the Lakers take Sully and Green, for, say, Nash and Randle?  They need a sf who can guard guys like Durant, and we would be better off with Randle instead of Sullinger going forward imo, just for weight issues alone.  I'm sure that this isn't a realistic option, but the Lakers need to win now, and I think our future would be much brighter with Randle at the 4.  Okay, so how dumb is this idea?  I realize that having Sullinger and Boozer on the same squad is pretty redundant, btw, but maybe Sully could come off the bench?  I don't know.

Re: Sully vs Julius Randle
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Trading Sullinger to get Sullinger?

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Randle has a lot more potential than Sullinger. No way Lakers do that

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Really? They look like the same player to me.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I would take a 265 pound Sullinger over Randle, but I'm worried we will see a 290+ pound Sully.
Randle is the better athlete, but Sully has a higher IQ IMO, better hands, and a softer touch around the rim.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I would take a 265 pound Sullinger over Randle, but I'm worried we will see a 290+ pound Sully.
Randle is the better athlete, but Sully has a higher IQ IMO, better hands, and a softer touch around the rim.

I'm not so sure about that (iq wise).  In terms of passing they're at least even, and Randle is much better athlete.  Sullinger has better hands, yes, and is an exceptional rebounder, but Randle isn't exactly a slouch in this regard, either.  Plus, no weight or character issues, and he's two years younger.  Being left handed will also help, just because there aren't many of them in the league.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:18 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

The problem with "potential" is that everyone got a potential... and not everyone reached their potential or even got half of that...

Sully is a proven NBA player.. almost a double-double overall stats...
that's not a potential that's actual stats...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:10 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
The problem with "potential" is that everyone got a potential... and not everyone reached their potential or even got half of that...

Everheard of Kwame Brown?? Consistently rated as the "best high school player" in his class, which also included high school standouts Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler. He got tons of potential that's why got picked at #1

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:38 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23

I'm not so sure about that (iq wise).  In terms of passing they're at least even, and Randle is much better athlete.  Sullinger has better hands, yes, and is an exceptional rebounder, but Randle isn't exactly a slouch in this regard, either.  Plus, no weight or character issues, and he's two years younger.  Being left handed will also help, just because there aren't many of them in the league.

What are Sully's Character issues?

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

i agree, a player that's built around skill and fundamentals will always be more reliable and durable. Though Randle isnt short of skill himself.. I'll take sully though, the development of that 3 will be key.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

What are Sully's Character issues?

Did you miss the domestic violence episode with his girlfriend just prior to the start of last season?

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 01:21:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

i agree, a player that's built around skill and fundamentals will always be more reliable and durable. Though Randle isnt short of skill himself.. I'll take sully though, the development of that 3 will be key.

No, no - not developing the 3 will be the key ;)  No 3s!  With his bulk, every time he shoots one from downtown he's bailing out his defender, when he should be bulldozing him inside.  Randle has fundamentals, too, btw.  Have you seen any highlights from the summer league?  The guy is dribbling the ball the full length of the court and making plays for his teammates with ease and speed.  Sorry, I'd rather have him.  And Smart ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

No, no - not developing the 3 will be the key ;)  No 3s!  With his bulk, every time he shoots one from downtown he's bailing out his defender, when he should be bulldozing him inside.  Randle has fundamentals, too, btw.  Have you seen any highlights from the summer league?  The guy is dribbling the ball the full length of the court and making plays for his teammates with ease and speed.  Sorry, I'd rather have him.  And Smart ;D

A three point shot would make Sullinger an even deadlier player don't you think?

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:41 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Everheard of Kwame Brown?? Consistently rated as the "best high school player" in his class, which also included high school standouts Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler. He got tons of potential that's why got picked at #1

I know that it's not just you who has been saying this stuff, but everyone always wants the finished product now, now, now.  It's easy to forget that all of these guys, whether it's Sully or Kevin Love, had serious potential, both to work out and bust, at one time.  You have to give them the necessary time to develop, otherwise you won't know how good or bad a player might be.  Besides, Randle was a great rebounder in college, and that skill has always translated well from college to the pros over the course of basketball history.  Does he have Sully's, as Tommy calls them, "mits," ;D ?  No, but that doesn't mean that he's Greg Kite or Perk, either; and to be fair, Kevin Love aside, I don't think there's another player with offensive rebounding ability like Sullinger in the league.  Unless of course I've forgotten someone.  I'm not talking about guys like Deandre Jordan, who, despite becoming a great rebounder this past year, rely on  their athletic gifts.  I mean guys who use skill and positioning, especially if they aren't the best athletes or the biggest guys on the court.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:39:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

A three point shot would make Sullinger an even deadlier player don't you think?

It's nice to be a great midrange shooter, and I suppose if he had to take a 3, at least we'd know that he could make one, but I'm a basketball purist.  Big guys belong inside.  I'd rather he develop an excellent post game instead.  He really doesn't have too many moves down there, an occasional true hook shot and turnaround/fadeaway jumper aside.  If he's so fundamentally sound, why doesn't he use both hands on the block?  My point here is that, at the end of a game, who would you rather give the ball to - a great three point shooter, or an unstoppable post player?  Inside shots are higher percentage shots because they're closer to the hoop - it's simple math, and an inside game allows you to take advantage of mismatches and foul situations, which can then be used to get other people involved via an around-the-horn type of possession.  Basketball, essentially.  Old time basketball.  Winning basketball.  Celtic basketball.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:07:55 AM by Beat LA »