Author Topic: Tyler Zeller > Travis Knight?  (Read 3443 times)

Tyler Zeller > Travis Knight?
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »

Offline InameallmyanimalsLarry

• NCE
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I remember being quite pleased when the Celtics got Knight from the lakers; I also remember it not turning out so well for him in Boston and that he was back in la the next year.
Both are 7 footers, both made the all rookie 2nd team, Comparing the 1st 2 years of their careers, given that Zeller played about 400 more mins their stats are about a push. Zeller is 20+ Ibs heavier & comes with a 1st round pick so those are good things.

What are your expectations for Zeller this year?
optimism is a skill

Re: Tyler Zeller > Travis Knight?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
25 PPG and 20 RPG along with 10 BPG. Anything below that is a failure.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Travis Knight was, thankfully, before my time, haha, so how bad was the guy?  From all I've observed on here, he was atrocious.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:47:07 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I remember being quite pleased when the Celtics got Knight from the lakers

:o

I have a decidedly different memory of that particular bit of news.

But then maybe I've been jaded by our futile pursuit of a dominant center, post-Chief.

Klein, Vrankovic, Montross, Blount, Knight, LaFrentz - none of these big men were fit starters. Maybe Zeller is different - I honestly haven't seen him play enough to even guess one way or the other. But [dang] I hope he is better than Travis Knight.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:52:25 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

But then maybe I've been jaded by our futile pursuit of a dominant center, post-Chief.

Klein, Vrankovic, Montross, Blount, Knight, LaFrentz - none of these big men were fit starters. Maybe Zeller is different - I honestly haven't seen him play enough to even guess one way or the other. But [dang] I hope he is better than Travis Knight.

Don't forget Tony Battie and Vitaly Potapenko!!

Zeller has more potential considering he moves better and seems to have his game figured out already. Knight launched the occasional 3 when he played for the Celtics, which didn't help matters.

Not to mention Zeller has another year under his belt before arriving in Boston.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »

Offline InameallmyanimalsLarry

• NCE
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
A laker fan friend of mine assured me that I would be happy with Travis; I was not. I guess playing 15 mins after Shaq had softened up the opposing teams interior would make most people look decent. 
optimism is a skill

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:26:02 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4

Don't forget Tony Battie and Vitaly Potapenko!!

Zeller has more potential considering he moves better and seems to have his game figured out already. Knight launched the occasional 3 when he played for the Celtics, which didn't help matters.

Not to mention Zeller has another year under his belt before arriving in Boston.

I actually had a real soft spot for Batman - thought he could turn into a legit shot-blocker. Totally forgot about Big V though!

All in all, any for-real production out of Zeller would be surprising to me - a welcome surprise of course, I'm not down on him or anything - but I just don't think there's any reason to expect more than his career avg of ~ 7 & 5. He's certainly not the rim protector everyone seems to be clamoring about at any rate.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Vitaly was horrible.  Big and strong but could not outrebound a 95 year grandma.   Played hard but was so bad that still was not good.

I do not think Zeller plays like Travis Knight.   But here it is to be expected that we compare people and with the tall and white it was bound to happen. Zeller is a better athlete but Travis has better timing on the blocks.   I think Zeller is the more skilled of the two,

I expect Zeller to be a 10 PPG and 8 RPG guy if he starts.   If he comes off the bench 6 PPG and 4 RPG would be ok.  I think his runner and his jumphook will suprise many.   I hope he gets a lot more than this cautious projection.  He should do well provided Good Sully shows up.   Bad Sully who likes to shoot threes ( but can't) will hurt him because no respects .27% shooting and they can double down on Zeller.  Good Sully who plays inside and shoots a nice midrange would open the floor more for Zeller and create a high low pressure on the D where they have to pick their poison.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Part of the issue with Travis Knight was how much money he was making

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

Yes. If I remember correctly we traded for him and then gave him a big contract. He was never more than a below average back up center. Zeller may end up sucking, but it's a low risk gamble.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yes. If I remember correctly we traded for him and then gave him a big contract. He was never more than a below average back up center. Zeller may end up sucking, but it's a low risk gamble.

Also why the Olynyk-Bargnani comps aren't so bad.

But I believe Olynyk is already better than Bargnani ever has been.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:06:35 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Pitino let Rick Fox and David Wesley walk away so he could clear cap space to sign Knight. That's 3 bad moves right there. Losing 2 really nice players for nothing, and then overpaying a 10th man.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
You never know what the final destination is or where everyone will wind up before the regular season starts but both Sully and Kelly's game will compliment Zeller's game.
this is what's so important about putting this team together sooner than later.  I want Stevens to know what rotations are the best before the season starts.  the last thing I want to see is Brad experimenting during the regular season.
I want to see TZ playing a lot of minutes with Sully and KO alternating and helping with the rim!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 12:07:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think Zeller is going to work out a lot better thank Travis did.

It's not just that I think he's a better player - he's stronger and a smarter basketball player, imho - but I also think he's coming into a situation where he should be able to pair with either of two guys who's games should complement well with him (Sully & Olynyk).

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
One thing I like about Tyler Zeller is that there are no illusions that he's anything but a good backup center.

(Reads Celticsblog in general)

Oh son of a.....

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner