Author Topic: Report: Celtics 'moving on' from Kevin Love trade talks  (Read 9007 times)

Re: Report: Celtics 'moving on' from Kevin Love trade talks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:16 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
this was so obvious. we have nothing to compete with wiggins or klay thompson. we werent even 3rd in the running, chicago was.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
this was so obvious. we have nothing to compete with wiggins or klay thompson. we werent even 3rd in the running, chicago was.

Yup...all this

Cavs winning the Lottery bagged Wiggins and LeBron ..who knew Wiggind was trade bait to bring Love or another superstar .

LeBron quit Miami the night Cavs won the lottery.......it was his chance to build a team elsewhere and get max contract

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
hope we can get waiters or bennett by facilitating the deal to cleveland , then package them for Marc Gasol  ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers

The Cavaliers remain the most likely destination for Kevin Love, given the package they have to offer along with Love’s apparent willingness to commit to re-upping in Cleveland now that LeBron James is firmly in place.

But if the Timberwolves are going to give up their All-Star big man who is the face of their franchise, rebuilding pieces aren’t going to be enough in exchange for cutting him loose.

[MORE: Cavs gain pieces for a Kevin Love deal]

Minnesota is going to also want to put itself in a better position to add talent moving forward, and that means getting out from under some less-than-desirable contracts. Cleveland, in pursuit of immediate championship contention, doesn’t want them, which means a third team would need to be involved to make everybody happy.

And there are a few that are willing to help facilitate this deal.

From Sean Deveney of Sporting News:

Multiple sources told Sporting News this week that teams are flocking to potential deals that would send Love to Chicago, Cleveland, Golden State or elsewhere, hoping to facilitate a trade by adding players, cap space or draft picks. …

Sources told Sporting News that Philadelphia and Denver, again, are interested in participating in whatever deal happens for Love. Denver has interest in acquiring Love themselves, while the Sixers would like to facilitate a trade by including forward Thaddeus Young.

Boston, another source said, would like to acquire Love, but would be willing to include some part of its trove of draft picks if they would help bring in a player who can contribute immediately.

The Sixers have the cap space to absorb just about anyone that Minnesota would like to get rid of, with J.J. Barea and Kevin Martin likely to be at the top of that list. Martin’s skill set would be a nice fit in Denver, though he’s owed more than $21 million over the next three years. Boston, meanwhile, needs guys who can play as the team continues its own rebuilding, so exchanging a draft pick or two for somebody might make some sense.

PBT

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Interesting. I'm hoping we end up facilitating a Love deal with GS and exchange a draft pick for Harrison Barnes.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Interesting. I'm hoping we end up facilitating a Love deal with GS and exchange a draft pick for Harrison Barnes.

I would actually like the prospect of either Dieng, or Waiters. I think both of those two players have plenty of potential and can contribute nicely in any given situation.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
only interest I have is with Dieng (C) and/or Barnes  (SF).   No more SGs need apply.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
As of now no current Celtic other than Rondo has much cache with other teams like Al Jefferson did in 2007.

The plan moving forward should be to let the season play out and showcase some of our young talent (Sully, Olynyk, Smart, and perhaps even Jeff Green even though he's not "young").

If one of those guys pops with a stellar first half of the season they could be the trade bait, along with several of our picks to get another All Star calibre player.

Let's say Sully averages 18 and 10, or Olynyk gets 17, 6, and 6, or Jeff Green goes for 21, 7, 4.  A contender with an Adrian Dantley situation (great player who just had to get away from Isaiah Thomas) might be willing to deal.

Imagine getting say Chris Paul who just refuses to continue playing for a Donald Sterling Clippers team. Or Cousins from Sacramento. Or maybe Harden has a meltdown due to Dwight Howard and insists on being traded. 

Right now the Celts need to just hold their hand and wait until they get dealt a few new cards.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah!  I think sully can become la 20/10 like Love.  He was projected top five but stayed another year and the back thing happened.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
only interest I have is with Dieng (C) and/or Barnes  (SF).   No more SGs need apply.

I'd be down for either of these guys, but especially Dieng.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
If Minny wants to unload Martin, why not offer Bogans + Babb for Martin + Dieng?

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If Minny wants to unload Martin, why not offer Bogans + Babb for Martin + Dieng?

Because they'd want to keep Dieng?

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I don't get why people are acting as if we could get Dieng though.

The 76ers would gladly take a few second rounders to eat Martin/Budinger's contracts or unneeded ones, etc.

Dieng is a young big, who I really lobbied for. But alas, KO has a higher ceiling, and honestly I would love to see how our young players pan out.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't get why people are acting as if we could get Dieng though.

The 76ers would gladly take a few second rounders to eat Martin/Budinger's contracts or unneeded ones, etc.

Dieng is a young big, who I really lobbied for. But alas, KO has a higher ceiling, and honestly I would love to see how our young players pan out.

Martin is signed for multiple years.  The going price for dumping such a contract is at least one first rounder, presumably unprotected.  No way the Sixers take less.

What makes no sense to me is why Dieng gets given out as part of the Love trade.  If Minny wants to give up assets to get rid of Martin, they can do that independently of a Love deal.  If it's part of a love deal, then presumably Cleveland is providing the payment for taking on Martin (or any other contract).