Author Topic: Are draft picks really not that valuable anymore?  (Read 6318 times)

Are draft picks really not that valuable anymore?
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I mean, before CLE was ever gifted Wiggins, did the picks we have really not have any value, or was Ainge just lowballing Saunders completely? I thought draft picks were valuable, after how players like ET and Hawes weren't even worth anywhere near a late first round pick.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Are draft picks really not that valuable anymore?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Different GMs assign different values to assets.  Unfortunately, Minnesota has a GM who probably values picks less than most other GMs around the league and probably values certain players more.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Different GMs assign different values to assets.  Unfortunately, Minnesota has a GM who probably values picks less than most other GMs around the league and probably values certain players more.
AKA Flip's terrible.

Well not terrible, he was right to wait on Love trade and make sure he gets the best offers, but he's terrible at his job if established players are his goal in a Love trade.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
AKA Flip's terrible.

Well not terrible, he was right to wait on Love trade and make sure he gets the best offers, but he's terrible at his job if established players are his goal in a Love trade.

What if established players are the owner's goal and he's just trying to get the best players that fit with what his boss wants?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Like most I am hopeful and will not be shocked if Brooklyn experiences a collapse in 15-16 and/or beyond, but no one can say right now what kind of year(s) they'll have. There's too much uncertainty still regarding the health of DWill and Lopez, as well as the what the quality of future drafts will be. Even if there was a degree of certainty, the fruits of that trade won't really materialize for several years. Those picks are like savings bonds. It's probably worth sitting on them for at least another 2 seasons if they're to have serious value in a trade.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I mean, before CLE was ever gifted Wiggins, did the picks we have really not have any value, or was Ainge just lowballing Saunders completely? I thought draft picks were valuable, after how players like ET and Hawes weren't even worth anywhere near a late first round pick.

First round draft picks are more valuable than they were 4-5 years ago, but we're seeing the inevitable leveling. Teams were too tight fisted with draft picks after watching a handful of teams exploit them (ala the Thunder and the Rockets and, in an opposite fashion, the Knicks), but now that everyone's more or less on the same page their value has dropped from, say, the trade deadline two years ago.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »

Offline Timmio1990

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
We simply don't have the other assets needed to land Love, other teams are offering better players/prospects and picks.

I think late first round picks are losing value, teams don't want to lock themselves into 2 years of garunteed money to an unproven player when they could pick a similar talent in the 2nd round and have more freedom in terms of the deal/guarnteed money.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It's not like Boston's picks are going to be gold standard after Rondo and Love join forces together and Ainge has time to build around them. The far off Nets picks are interesting but have uncertain value too because of their owner's willingness to spend.

So yes, they are good but it's not like Ainge is dealing away top 5 draft picks here.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
AKA Flip's terrible.

What if established players are the owner's goal and he's just trying to get the best players that fit with what his boss wants?
Then he needs to be honest with his boss and level with him exactly how bad the team will be without Love in the lineup even if he nabs "good" players in return.

I don't see any reason to give Flip that sort of level of cover for his decision making though. Glenn Taylor has never been a hugely activist owner.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I would rather be in the Celtics position right now, with a ton of draft picks and a lot of young talent already, then to send the majority of those picks and players out for one superstar...and that is what it would take to land Love.

The draft picks have value based on those who hold them...those Net picks, the Clippers pick...could be some really good stuff happen with those in the future. 

However, some are bullheaded and they usually reap what they sow.  Flip is asking for the moon from Cleveland...and he may get it.  But I believe Danny has done the right thing in setting a ceiling and not going any higher.

Rak

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would rather be in the Celtics position right now, with a ton of draft picks and a lot of young talent already, then to send the majority of those picks and players out for one superstar...and that is what it would take to land Love.

The draft picks have value based on those who hold them...those Net picks, the Clippers pick...could be some really good stuff happen with those in the future. 

However, some are bullheaded and they usually reap what they sow.  Flip is asking for the moon from Cleveland...and he may get it.  But I believe Danny has done the right thing in setting a ceiling and not going any higher.

Rak

I do agree.

I came to terms with Love not coming to BOS the moment Cleveland got Wiggins.

It just all matched up too perfectly, and with Lebron going back, I sort of felt Love would be interested in heading there.

I like what Ainge has done, and what hes doing. Not only is he bringing in assets to get any disgruntled/upset superstar, but he'll have cap relief next year, and can do sign and trades/FA to bring in a free agent.

Evan Turner, Marcus Thorntorn, Tyler Zeller, and a 1st round pick/2nd pick for the TPE, and FA.

Not a bad pick up of a expiring contract that could pad his stats, a Center that never ever got any playing time or chance to prove himself, and Turner who is a 2nd round pick, but is a low risk high reward type of player.

With plenty of assets, I think Ainge is trying to do another Big 3. Hes just probably build up assets to bring in another superstar. Who knows, Melo may even ask to be traded if they do just as bad as next year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
They are not as valuable as most of the people on here think they are...

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's not like Boston's picks are going to be gold standard after Rondo and Love join forces together and Ainge has time to build around them. The far off Nets picks are interesting but have uncertain value too because of their owner's willingness to spend.

So yes, they are good but it's not like Ainge is dealing away top 5 draft picks here.

They may not be top 5 picks, but with all of those draft picks they should be able to get at least a good player.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

First round draft picks are more valuable than they were 4-5 years ago, but we're seeing the inevitable leveling. Teams were too tight fisted with draft picks after watching a handful of teams exploit them (ala the Thunder and the Rockets and, in an opposite fashion, the Knicks), but now that everyone's more or less on the same page their value has dropped from, say, the trade deadline two years ago.

Interesting that you pick that deadline considering the Billy King Special that day (unless you mean the 2013 deadline).

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think certain teams like Minn. should value draft picks over players if those players are just role players. i'll give minn. credit though if they land wiggins. but they gambled big time. but then i'm gonna laugh hard when wiggins leaves in 3 yr's.