Author Topic: Teams (not the Cavs) who did great this summer  (Read 5148 times)

Re: Teams (not the Cavs) who did great this summer
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
WASHINGTON got Pierce - and I don't care what you say, that is a HUGE upgrade, even at 36 over Ariza, resigned Gortat, and added DeJuan Blair and Humphries. Wall and Bradley (the bombs-away boys) are going to shoot the lights out in the half court -- and on off nights? They can go back to that old Boston Celtics strategy: pass the ball to Pierce and hope he bails them out.

DALLAS got Tyson Chandler Parsons (omg!) and upgraded cleanly at two positions. They also picked up Jameer Nelson who is a nice PG to play with Devin Harris. One more big man and they will be doing things in the west next year.

GOLDEN STATE - picked up Shaun Livingston, which I think, alone will make a huge difference, insofar as they can now reduce Curry and Thompson's minutes substantially. Awesome signing for GS.

CHARLOTTE - massively upgraded its defense, and wing play with Stephenson, lost McBob, but did well to get M. Williams as a replacement. With MKG and and now Stephenson on the wing, Charlotte did a lot to hide Jefferson's defensive liabilities.  If Vonleh is not a knucklehead, he will try and learn a thing or two from Big Al.

Agree with you on everything except the Charlotte.  Vonleh simply will NOT help this year.  He shot an astonishing low percentage in the Summer League in Vegas!!  They lost their best ball mover in McRoberts who MJ called their connect the dots guy.  HUGE loss!!!!  MKG's offense is SO bad that he likely will see reduced minutes, despite being a decent defender!!!!  They will win about the same or LESS games as other teams have improved.  See Washington as you mentioned.  Toronto will be as good or better.  Atlanta will be a LOT better getting a multi-year All-Star back in Horford!!!  Chicago is going to improve by leaps and bounds if Rose just gets back at 75% with the addition of Gasol!!  Cleveland is a different team with Lebron, clearly.  Charlotte will be a 7 or 8 seed or they will fall out IF Big Al misses 25 or more games.

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

GOLDEN STATE - picked up Shaun Livingston, which I think, alone will make a huge difference, insofar as they can now reduce Curry and Thompson's minutes substantially. Awesome signing for GS.

I don't know that the addition of Shaun Livingston can be defined as "great". 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »

Offline aingefan

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I liked what Ainge did. To get Zeller and a #1 for essentially nothing was a strong move. I like Evan Turner's game and think he's poised for a rebound season. Great job by Ainge.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I know off season is about movements but you got to give props to the Spurs for retaining their core and almost all their last year's roster....
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:17 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I liked what Ainge did. To get Zeller and a #1 for essentially nothing was a strong move. I like Evan Turner's game and think he's poised for a rebound season. Great job by Ainge.

words spoken like a true Ainge fan :D
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
WASHINGTON got Pierce - and I don't care what you say, that is a HUGE upgrade, even at 36 over Ariza, resigned Gortat, and added DeJuan Blair and Humphries. Wall and Bradley (the bombs-away boys) are going to shoot the lights out in the half court -- and on off nights? They can go back to that old Boston Celtics strategy: pass the ball to Pierce and hope he bails them out. [/b]

DALLAS got Tyson Chandler Parsons (omg!) and upgraded cleanly at two positions. They also picked up Jameer Nelson who is a nice PG to play with Devin Harris. One more big man and they will be doing things in the west next year.

CHARLOTTE - massively upgraded its defense, and wing play with Stephenson, lost McBob, but did well to get M. Williams as a replacement. With MKG and and now Stephenson on the wing, Charlotte did a lot to hide Jefferson's defensive liabilities.  If Vonleh is not a knucklehead, he will try and learn a thing or two from Big Al.

Washington's best acquisition was hiring Kevin Durant's High School coach.  They are gearing up to chase him when the seasons done.  Lebron home in Cleveland, Rose home in Chicago, Melo home in New York, Durant home in Washington.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
And then there is Rose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSuF6HCqko

Rose????? is pretty unrealiable in terms in health, hope it changes for him.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Top 4

1. Cavs
2. Mavs
3. Bulls
4. Lakers

Bottom 4

1. Rockets
2. Hawks
3. Kings
4. Pistons

Triboy although we disagree on many things, I understand your point of view and I do respect your opinion because you love the Celtics and basketball. So what's your reasoning for putting the Lakers in your top 4 ?

I thought their offseason was a bit disappointing overall.
What did you like that they did? Add boozer cheap and sign some solid vets?
I'm still convinced that they are now too good for the lottery top 5 but have no chance at the playoffs... Stuck in no mans land if you know what I mean...
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Paul Pierce and Tyson Chandler are two of my favorite players, so naturally I think Washington and Dallas had an amazing summer.

Coincidentally, Nene and Dirk are also two of my favorite players (those 4 probably make up my top 5 along with Iggy).  Needless to say, Dallas (2nd) and Washington (3rd) will continue to be the 2 teams I root for whenever they aren't playing the Celtics. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Top 4

1. Cavs
2. Mavs
3. Bulls
4. Lakers

Bottom 4

1. Rockets
2. Hawks
3. Kings
4. Pistons

Triboy although we disagree on many things, I understand your point of view and I do respect your opinion because you love the Celtics and basketball. So what's your reasoning for putting the Lakers in your top 4 ?

I thought their offseason was a bit disappointing overall.
What did you like that they did? Add boozer cheap and sign some solid vets?
I'm still convinced that they are now too good for the lottery top 5 but have no chance at the playoffs... Stuck in no mans land if you know what I mean...

No I think he has it right. The Lakers had the 4th best off season....For Celtic fans! :D

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm just gonna go a different direction here and say Milwaukee. Go Bucks!

They finally sold the team to new owners who are major hedge fund players likely to do well for this franchise, most importantly by keeping them in town. Massive off season there alone.

Then you have the fortune to land Jabari Parker #2 and he actually really wants to play there. Huge!

I don't care much about Kidd ... jury out here. Minor to medium upgrade for most teams but kind of a big deal for Milwaukee.

A lot of young dudes who had poor seasons/injuries/issues last season coming back with a new attitude and a fresh slate. I'm looking at OJ Mayo, Henson, Eran, LARRY SANDERS?!, Wolters and others. They got Brandon Knight (was he once good?) and landed as couple other low cost vets and a 2nd round pick (johnny O).

All things considered, this is a franchise that has a whole new feel. I'd put them near the top 5 of best off season.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Oh, and year 2 of the Greek Freak