Author Topic: Teams (not the Cavs) who did great this summer  (Read 5129 times)

Teams (not the Cavs) who did great this summer
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
WASHINGTON got Pierce - and I don't care what you say, that is a HUGE upgrade, even at 36 over Ariza, resigned Gortat, and added DeJuan Blair and Humphries. Wall and Bradley (the bombs-away boys) are going to shoot the lights out in the half court -- and on off nights? They can go back to that old Boston Celtics strategy: pass the ball to Pierce and hope he bails them out.

DALLAS got Tyson Chandler Parsons (omg!) and upgraded cleanly at two positions. They also picked up Jameer Nelson who is a nice PG to play with Devin Harris. One more big man and they will be doing things in the west next year.

GOLDEN STATE - picked up Shaun Livingston, which I think, alone will make a huge difference, insofar as they can now reduce Curry and Thompson's minutes substantially. Awesome signing for GS.

CHARLOTTE - massively upgraded its defense, and wing play with Stephenson, lost McBob, but did well to get M. Williams as a replacement. With MKG and and now Stephenson on the wing, Charlotte did a lot to hide Jefferson's defensive liabilities.  If Vonleh is not a knucklehead, he will try and learn a thing or two from Big Al.

Re: Teams (not the Cavs) who did great this summer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Boston - Danny started the offseason with two picks (6 & 17) and a $10m TPE.

Danny so far has picked well (Smart & Young), got a $4.5m ish (TPE), Zeller, Turner and a 1st.

You can cry all you want about Love, etc.  Boston has not given up jack since the summer and have added 5 assets in the process.  Offseason is far from over but man, that's a helluva start.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Danny so far has picked well (Smart & Young), got a $4.5m ish (TPE), Zeller, Turner and a 1st.

You can cry all you want about Love, etc.  Boston has not given up jack since the summer and have added 5 assets in the process.  Offseason is far from over but man, that's a helluva start.
We made some positive additions.   But we were a 25 win team last year.  At most this moves the needle like 10 wins max.  We're still likely lottery-bound.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If Danny is able to flip all these mini moves into something grand, then we are definitely on top of that list. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Just a technicality but we did give up jack by letting Humphries and Bayless go.   Part of me wanted to keep Bayless over Pressey as I'm still not sure if Pressey can make it in the NBA despite being a true PG.   Bayless and Smart might have been a nice backup mix as well at the guard spot.  Of course we have Thornton and now Turner too, so maybe it's 1 too many players in that mix.   I also would have preferred to trade Bass, and keep Humphries but I'll settle for what we did there.

In all I'm happy with the offseason so far despite if we are unable to land a big name. 

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Also NO getting Asik is a big move for them.   They could be fighting for the playoffs next year. 

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

We made some positive additions.   But we were a 25 win team last year.  At most this moves the needle like 10 wins max.  We're still likely lottery-bound.

Yeah but DA's moves weren't really for this season unless something else pops up between now and the trade deadline.

The moves he's made have put him in a really good position next summer and or the summer after that.

There should be at least one more move before the season starts, just too many players . He needs to lessen some of the positions to showcase certain players to put up for a low buy high sell.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Just a technicality but we did give up jack by letting Humphries and Bayless go.   Part of me wanted to keep Bayless over Pressey as I'm still not sure if Pressey can make it in the NBA despite being a true PG.   Bayless and Smart might have been a nice backup mix as well at the guard spot.  Of course we have Thornton and now Turner too, so maybe it's 1 too many players in that mix.   I also would have preferred to trade Bass, and keep Humphries but I'll settle for what we did there.

In all I'm happy with the offseason so far despite if we are unable to land a big name.

I'm not mourning the loss of Hump or Bayless.  Bayless managed to only find work as a backup on the Bucks -- doesn't seem like someone in high demand.  Hump had a little more value, but he's a backup big -- good energy guy, but not someone to cry over.  A fine 8th man, but not something we need this year.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like Washington did adding Pierce and shoring up an already solid core. Also, got better from a depth standpoint.

I like Charlotte taking on Stephenson on the relative cheap.  That team should be better this coming season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
My top 4:

1. Miami-hate to say it..but they keep Bosh, Wade, & Birdman..also sign Deng, Granger, &McRoberts..also draft Napier

2. Charlotte-add Lance Stephenson & Marvin Williams plus drafted Vonleh & Hairston

3. Washington-add PP, Blair & Humphries..also resign Gortat

4. Detroit-dont laugh-add Stan Van Gundy..plus Meeks and Butler is not bad

Mybottom 4:

1. Indiana-loss Lance but sign Stuckey who is injury prones..also added no PG

2. OK City-Still same team w/o adding help for Durant, serge and Westbrook

3. Brooklyn-loss Pierce and Livingston but did get Hollins to coach..but still didn't add anyone big

4. Lakers-:)--Loss out on Gasol, James, Melo..instead got Boozer and Lin..Randle may help
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Hump had a little more value, but he's a backup big -- good energy guy, but not someone to cry over.  A fine 8th man, but not something we need this year.

BUT HE'S SO DREAMY
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Top 4

1. Cavs
2. Mavs
3. Bulls
4. Lakers

Bottom 4

1. Rockets
2. Hawks
3. Kings
4. Pistons

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Cleveland is the only team that has had a great off season.

Most of the top teams got a little worse, and most teams pretty much broke even.

Charlotte has picked up a lot of talent, we will see if all the personalities mesh.

The Celtics made nice moves for the future.

The Winner behind the Cavs might have to be the LA Clippers. Spencer Hawes fills the biggest need on the team, a back up big. Hawes will be an upgrade over Baby.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
My top 4:

1. Miami-hate to say it..but they keep Bosh, Wade, & Birdman..also sign Deng, Granger, &McRoberts..also draft Napier

The bad...

* They overpaid for Bosh. In fact, they had to give him 40M more than they initially offered, once James left, to prevent him from going to Houston.

* They failed to address their interior defense and instead re-signed the aging Haslem (34) and Andersen (36) to 2 year deals.

* They wanted to get more athletic on the perimeter, but failed. They signed Granger, who's knees are shot, and replaced James with Deng.

* The fact that it was made public that they were targeting Napier caused them to overpay (trading cash and a 2nd rd pick) to move up 2 spots. Oddly enough, the player that Charlotte ultimately acquired (Hairston) performed much better in the summer league than Napier and would've served as a better fit for Miami.

* Napier might be headed for the DLeague for the majority of the season as he's presumably behind both Chalmers and Cole on the depth chart.

* They lost James! That alone places them in the "losers" section. Moreover, LeBatard said that he heard from his sources that James would NOT respond to Riley's texts as Riley wanted to know his opinion on certain players. So Riley had make the McRoberts and Granger signings without any feedback from James whatsoever.

The good...

* Wade and Deng in particular were signed to team friendly deals at more or less market value. Chalmers, Haslem, and Andersen were also re-signed to team friendly 2 year deal, but they had to pay a bit more than those players are worth.

Heat's off-season goal was to stay somewhat competitive during the next 2 seasons and then try to land Durant when he becomes a FA. However, signing up to play with a then 32 year old Bosh and 34 year old Wade is far less appealing then what Miami had back in the summer of 2010.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Not much love for Chicago? I think they had the best off-season of any team not in Ohio.

Their biggest weakness was scoring and they added Gasol, McDermott, and Mirotic. They also added a serviceable PG in Brooks. Re-signed the feisty Hinrich. Snell looks much improved. And then there is Rose...