Author Topic: Idea: Jeff Green for Tayshaun Prince  (Read 7631 times)

Idea: Jeff Green for Tayshaun Prince
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
For Boston:  It takes a year of Jeff Green's contract (and gives us an expiring contract to work with at the deadline).  It opens up minutes at SF for Evan Turner?

For Memphis:  They get a pretty good SF in Green at a position they are currently weak.

I can't see most up to date salaries in trade machine/hoopshype.  This might put Memphis over the luxury tax which would potentially keep them from doing it.  I wonder if these teams can be included in a Love deal with Minnesota/Cleveland.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Idea: Jeff Green for Tayshaun Prince
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:12:13 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Would rather keep Green if all he can fetch is Prince. We can get a better return elsewhere.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Green is likely to opt out after this year. So I wouldn't worry about shaving a year off his contract.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
After seeing the big pay deals other SFs got this summer, I am pretty sure Jeff Green is going to opt out next summer anyway. Making this trade unnecessary.

Edit: I would really like to trade Jeff Green though. I am worried about how much money it will take to keep him next summer and I do not way him that type of cash. Not while Celtics are still without star talent already in place. So I'd like to move him for whatever the best package is that Ainge can get. No longer view Green as a long term piece of the puzzle.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
After seeing the big pay deals other SFs got this summer, I am pretty sure Jeff Green is going to opt out next summer anyway. Making this trade unnecessary.

I think the same. The other side is that new national TV contracts in 2016 looks like a more lucrative opportunity, and with David Falk as he's agent (who seems to have a very good relationship with Danny) I wonder if he might be used to influence Green to opt-in. If the Celtics are interested of course, and I think they might be depending on how flexibility is looking by then and desire to use cap space.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Tayshaun Prince?

I'd trade Gerald Wallace for Tayshaun Prince .. .not Jeff Green.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I've long thought that Green would thrive in Memphis and they would be a legitimate contender, imo, so done and done.  Where do I sign? ;D  This would work out really well for both sides, and hopefully open up more playing time for James Young behind Evan Turner.  Make it happen, Danny!  Is Prince an expiring contract, btw?

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Tayshaun Prince and Kosta Koufos would certainly intrigue me quite a bit.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I've long thought that Green would thrive in Memphis and they would be a legitimate contender, imo, so done and done.  Where do I sign? ;D  This would work out really well for both sides, and hopefully open up more playing time for James Young behind Evan Turner.  Make it happen, Danny!  Is Prince an expiring contract, btw?

Yes, Prince is an expiring contract.

I think the better move is Brandon Bass to the Sacramento Kings for their 7M TPE acquired via the Thomas trade.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For Boston:  It takes a year of Jeff Green's contract (and gives us an expiring contract to work with at the deadline).
Which basically translates to: no reason to do with whatsoever. (Large) expiring contracts are not what they were. We had Humphries at last season's deadline, and all we got out of him is a $4.5 million TPE.

Also, if Turner wants Green's minutes, he should beat him on the court. I'm not trading Green before this happens.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
For Boston:  It takes a year of Jeff Green's contract (and gives us an expiring contract to work with at the deadline).
Which basically translates to: no reason to do with whatsoever. (Large) expiring contracts are not what they were. We had Humphries at last season's deadline, and all we got out of him is a $4.5 million TPE.

Also, if Turner wants Green's minutes, he should beat him on the court. I'm not trading Green before this happens.

TP. Least somebody understands times have changed.

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It opens up minutes at SF for Evan Turner?

Evan Turner is not a good enough player to justify salary dumping a player as capable as Jeff Green for the sole purpose of opening up minutes.  If you did this trade, I wouldn't be shocked if Prince or Wallace ends up starting due to Turner's inadequacy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
No longer view Green as a long term piece of the puzzle.
This is the perspective that I'm coming from. 

If Green is going to opt out anyways, then I guess this deal wouldn't make sense for the C's.  I'm not sure he will considering the new TV deal (which Budweiser mentioned).  Also, I don't think the market is going to be as high as advertised this offseason.  He's not anywhere near the caliber player of Luol Deng ($9.7M).  And he won't get anywhere near Chandler Parson's $14.7M b/c 1. he's not as good, 2. he's not as young, and 3. it won't necessitate a gross overpayment to ensure his current team can't match.  He's not even on the level of Josh Smith ($13.5) who many consider overpaid.  In my mind, the most comparable player talent-wise to Green signed recently is Trevor Ariza ($8.5M)... or maybe even Paul Pierce ($5.3M).  He's not even on Lance Stephenson's level in my opinion.

I didn't even consider that he would opt out, but if he does, then yeah this deal wouldn't make sense.  I'm still not sold that he will.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Please no.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Tayshaun Prince?

I'd trade Gerald Wallace for Tayshaun Prince .. .not Jeff Green.

Same here.... Prince is on decline...
I'm on the trying to reach the playoffs next season bandwagon
and Green will inconsistenly help us on that..
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…